Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-08-NWA Wildside-TV] Jorge Estrada vs K-Krush

Loss

NWA Wildside! Ron Killings ... awkwardly rapping while fans sit on their hands for 17 years and counting it would appear. He's actually serviceable in the ring, with some sharp offense and good bumping and feeding for Estrada, so I won't be too harsh. I can see why the WWF took a chance on him in 2000, because he is a charismatic guy with some cool moves. Not much to the match, but it's fine.

Something homely feeling about Bill Behrens and Jeff G Bailey on commentary talking about AJ Styles. We have seen some guys in 2000 already that are still active and in big positions but it is amazing to think about how accomplished AJ is right now as they are talking about him here as the ace of the promotion and he is the hottest act in the biggest company in the world 17 years later. This match was fun for what it was. Estrada hit a good dropkick and took Krush's offense well even though his strikes were suspect. Krush showed some charisma and flash that I agree with Loss that it seemed natural for WWF to give him a chance. Commentary was strong and had a real territory vibe of Bailey being the ultimate heel. **

• 3 weeks later...

Man Krush has not aged much at all in 17 years. It's ridiculous. Nice to see some old school NWA Wildside here. Jorge Estrada would go on to become a flying Elvis in TNA. Good tv match to get Krush over as champ. He must have left shortly after this cause he would be in Memphis a couple weeks later. Jeff G Bailey is hilarious on commentary just ripping Steve Martin/Chase Williams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Krush comes out to ‘Back in Black’ and proceeds to rap over it which I liked. There’s some big jacked up dude in the ring who looks like Nathan Jones, but is called Crowbar and I’m guessing is Jeff G. Bailey’s bodyguard. They manage to mess up an arm drag, and Estrada with a backdrop where Krush goes flying into the ropes. A series of forearms and a back elbow by Estrada for a two. Krush whips Estrada into the ropes, drop down, high leapfrog and a spin kick for the win.

I found this pretty boring and the only thing of interest being the commentators saying that Krush has recently been signed by the WWF. Between his look, physique and the gimmick you can see why. Estrada looks like the kinda person who might’ve found his way to WCW Saturday Night if that show had lasted towards the end of the year.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I agree that it's pretty damning to see how little Killings has improved in his time but I actually enjoyed some of the more exaggerated selling he was doing. I didn't see any of his heel WWE stuff opposite Cena so I wonder if he reprised that there. I think Killings was also helped by the sheer blandness of Estrada opposite him but, nevertheless, always good to hear Jeff G Bailey and another interesting little look at a guy who went on to work in a major promotion.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-01-08-NWA Wildside-TV] Jorge Estrada vs K-Krush