Pro Wrestling Only

Jimmy Snuka's murder charge dismissed

supersonic

He was a definitely over in 89 -90 when i was huge fan. Not just about work, his kneeling down on 1 knee and the wooh wooh wooh! His entrance music was great. His physique looked great on TV. When Honky hit him on Brother Love Show with the guitar. Unfortunately as a kid you never know why certain wrestlers are not being pushed anymore. But as a draw he has to be up there in every promotion he was a part of.

GOD bless the Superfly, "bradah!"

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad they paid tribute

Why?

Because he was one of the biggest stars of all time, and he drew in an entire generation of kids to be wrestling fans, myself one of them. So many folks don't know just how huge Snuka was at a formative time for millions of kids.

I'm not saying that excuses anything. And it's a challenging thing for lots of us. And it's hypocritical as fuck , but life isn't simple. Some childhood heroes of the screen are flawed people who have done terrible things.

But at the end of the day, it's the fucking Superfly, and for me and a lot of folks that's enough.

Yeah, it's nice they paid tribute to a women murderer who played dumb to avoid a trial. Very nice indeed. What is human decency compared to the childhood memories of aging pro-wrestling fans ? I'm sure Nancy Argentino's family didn't take it as another painfull slap in the face. Fuck this. And honestly, fuck people and their dear "childhood memories".

Did you know Nancy Argentino? Literally why do you care?

Empathy. A woman die every few minutes or so victims of men who beat them up. So yeah. Fuck tribute video to some cokehead who avoided justice because he was famous in a sleazy business. And fuck people who celebrate him because he was some "childhood hero".

I don't know if you noticed, but he was acquitted. I know people want their pound of flesh, but seriously, why do you have any stake in this at all?

Leave this stuff to the courts.

Good to see you're so well informed on the case, Parv. You can't been acquitted if you don't go to trial. The judge ruled that Snuka wasn't competent to stand trial.

On the night that he took her to the hospital, Snuka admitted to numerous people that he caused the fatal head injury. Then, when she died, he went into self preservation mode and said she slipped and fell by the side of the road while trying to urinate. The autopsy directly controverted guys, finding zero evidence of a fall outdoors.

Even if by some chance he didn't shove her, he still left her to die in their motel room barely conscious and incoherent, thinking putting a washcloth on her head would help.

The police mysteriously dropped the case after two weeks. They lied to reporters about the facts is the case.

The WWF offered to pay off the Argentino family. The family won a default judgement from Snuka in a wrongful death lawsuit, only for him to claim to be indigent while working as one of the highest paid foreign wrestlers in the country and getting paid in cash at the end of each tour.

Should I keep going?

I dunno, over time you spot patterns.

The same people who are anti-Snuka were also anti-Hogan in the gawker case.

Personally, I don't care either way re: Snuka. Maybe I lack empathy, but I'm more on the side of thinking:

1. It's none of my business

and

2. As a fan, I can only really think about Snuka the worker, as opposed to Snuka the man and what he may or may not have done.

Yeah, it never made much difference to me, but then I never had much emotional investment in Benoit, he wasn't my hero or anything, just "a good worker".

I recall a lengthy discussion during GWE over Invader 1 and Carlos Colon which touched on some of this stuff also.

I guess I just don't really care about what workers do in life. It's a scummy business.

That is a tough one. I can still watch matches with Benoit, Invader 1 and Snuka and see what they are as workers, etc. But somewhere in the back of my mind I realize what they did and somehow manage to separate the performer from the human being. I don't in any way condone what they did, it's just the same as watching the Naked Gun movies and buying O.J. as a sympathetic, comedic character despite the reality of the man. I think it's part of the suspension of disbelief while something is being viewed.

Outside of that, it's hard to see even somebody like Benoit, who obviously had some psychological issues and needed help he didn't try to find, in any kind of positive light. But there is something to be said for separating somebody's art from their horrible low moments that got the light of day shone on them. Imagine if the media/internet were as pervasive as it were 100 years ago. Would somebody like Babe Ruth or Lou Gherig, Sandy Koufax, Dick Butkus, Lou Thesz....the list goes on and on, would they have had massive character flaws? Shit, I know he's not any kind of sacred cow but take a look at Kensuke Sasaki. He killed a kid trying to learn to wrestle in the dojo. Sure it was probably an accident, but murder, intended or not, should be treated as such. And Sasaki's case was not all that scrutinized that I remember. Did some of the heroes of yesteryear have the same kinds of (or worse) skeletons in their closet that just never were uncovered? I'm not saying it makes murder in any way okay, but to me there is a separation of what a [performer did in their chosen field and who they were away from that profession.

I don't know if you noticed, but he was acquitted. I know people want their pound of flesh, but seriously, why do you have any stake in this at all?

No one knew Nicole Brown Simpson or Ronald Goldman, that shouldn't make the disgust over OJ Simpson's lack of incarceration due to their murder any more appropriate. Or the smug satisfaction of karma getting his when he was sentenced on the memorabilia theft charges.

No one knew Nicole Brown Simpson or Ronald Goldman, that shouldn't make the disgust over OJ Simpson's lack of incarceration due to their murder any more appropriate. Or the smug satisfaction of karma getting his when he was sentenced on the memorabilia theft charges.

I don't really care about any of these things. I enjoyed watching the OJ trial itself cos it was good TV.

Some people like to reach for pitchforks whenever they can, other people just don't care.

Chalk me up in the latter group. Just don't care.

I am not a judge or a lawyer or a polceman.

I'm just a bloke. I have to have faith in the legal system to bring people to justice. This is called the rule of law.

It's not really for me, someone who has literally nothing to do with these things, to deliver a verdict one way or the other in any of these cases. I don't see why people feel the need to as much as they do.

It's not about what you think, Parv, especially when it's that supid (really, "I have faith about the judicial system" ? In what world are you living in ?). You don't care about women being beat up and killed by assholes. We got that. Clap clap clap. Hooray for you. Other people are horrified, especially when the guys doing the deeds are being celebrated and escape justice because of their social rank.

It's about WWE making a fucking video tribute to a (most probably) women murderer not long after the family of the victim was denied any kind of justice, after 30 years of fighting. A RIP graphic was enough, really. This was fucking tasteless and showed a complete lack of empathy, care and decency. That's all there is to it.

What's tricky about honoring Snuka is that the murder allegations aren't some new revelation. They were well known by insider wrestling fans for at least the last 15-20 years. Snuka made appearances at the 2008 Rumble, Wrestlemania XXV, etc., and people cheered. If WWE felt comfortable enough trotting out Snuka on those occasions, then it's difficult to backtrack and admit something they already damn well knew.

Well it's not for me to say; I don't have full details, only rumours and innuendos, and the demand for retribution which is par for the course from any family who loses someone in tragic circumstances. Apparently, it is for you to say, so have at it.

You're not that dense, are you ? It is not about what you think. Nobody fucking cares. It's about showing a little bit of decency on the part of the WWE. Imagine if someone from the family had to see this "great tribute to a fallen hero of the dignified pro-wrestling family". For fuck's sake. It's embarrassing. In any other field, movie, legit sport, music or whatever, this stuff would have been eviscerated on social medias.

(And as far as "rumour and innuendos" go, just go get some infos first instead of talking out of your ass. Your no-selling of Bix setting you straight was pretty typical of your unbearable attitude.)

He wasn't acquitted. He was ruled incompetent to stand trial. I believe he was found liable in a wrongful death civil action as well.

Well it's not for me to say; I don't have full details, only rumours and innuendos, and the demand for retribution which is par for the course from any family who loses someone in tragic circumstances. Apparently, it is for you to say, so have at it.

You're not that dense, are you ? It is not about what you think. Nobody fucking cares. It's about showing a little bit of decency on the part of the WWE. Imagine if someone from the family had to see this "great tribute to a fallen hero of the dignified pro-wrestling family". For fuck's sake. It's embarrassing. In any other field, movie, legit sport, music or whatever, this stuff would have been eviscerated on social medias.

(And as far as "rumour and innuendos" go, just go get some infos first instead of talking out of your ass. Your no-selling of Bix setting you straight was pretty typical of your unbearable attitude.)

Leave it out

Since every news source I've seen reported that Snuka was acquitted, I thought I'd look up what the word means. I don't have any legal training so I wasn't sure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquittal

In the common law tradition, an acquittal formally certifies that the accused is free from the charge of an offense, as far as the criminal law is concerned. This is so even where the prosecution is abandoned nolle prosequi.

So when the charges were dropped, he was in effect acquitted.

Which is presumably why every newspaper reported it that way, and since he was never found guilty in court, it was presumably why the WWE ran the tribute.

Like I say, I'm no legal expert, just a bloke with Google at my disposal.

But it does seem that by the common definition of the word, he was actually acquitted, which is why huge news organisations who have legal departments who work to ensure they aren't sued, with a current interest in not being "fake news", used the word in their reports.

It also appears that the WWE made the decision to run the tribute because they didn't think the concerns you are raising here were significant enough.