Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-15-OVW-TV] Bull Buchanan & Nick Dinsmore vs Trailer Park Trash & Jebediah

soup23

This is mostly an opportunity to hear these guys on the mic. TPT and Dinsmore steal the show and Bull has a pretty rigid delivery that was surprising considering how soon he got the call up. He is also still sporting the long hair coming out of one spot of skull. The match starts proper and the action is basic until the Bad Blondes come out to interrupt things bringing out Mr. Black and Russ McCollough who they were pushing huge at the time but he never amounted to anything. *1/4

I love when they put wrestlers out there like Trailer Park Trash and play them like they are the "heart and soul" of a wrestling promotion. So condescending to fans, even if the gimmick is about positive appropriation of a negative term. The match is pretty short, but Nick Dinsmore continues to impress every time he shows up in a match. The promos before the match were fine but not really noteworthy. I think Dinsmore sadly wasted his best years in developmental. I remember when everyone expected Russ McCullough to get a megapush in the WWF because he eventually become almost a spitting image of a younger Kevin Nash.

• 3 weeks later...

I never realised it before but Rip Rogers sounds like Bill Dauterive from King of the Hill. I got a laugh out of the interviews before hand. Especially Bull's line about beating ass while he has that long ass ponytail. The match was alright but it's surprising to see two characters doing a white trash gimmick as a tag team. It's like a more redneck version of the Dirty White Boys. Of course at the end like in SMW, it's all about a Jim Cornette match.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trash and Jebediah are with Dean Hill and he says how the suspense is building about who their mystery partner is for the River City Rumble. Trash says all they’ve heard recently is the Suicide Blondes going on about how they don’t have a partner, but the fact of the matter is they do. When Dean tries to get a hint on who it is, Trash says that everyone will find out at the Louisville Gardens and they’re not going to give anything away. They are joined by Jason Lee and Rip Rogers and Lee says that they don’t know who their partner is. They’ve searched every bar, every dive restaurant, have been down on every corner and out on every street and they can’t find anyone, as no-one wants to help them in their fight with the Suicide Blondes because they’re scared of his main blood, Derrick King. Rogers wants them to give them a clue as it can’t be anyone too scary, and they promise not to faint! Jebediah says do they promise not to faint, Lee puts his hand on his heart and then Jeb gets them to play their man’s music. Out walks Russ McCullough and Lee and Rogers back off, not so smug and confident now!

Buchanan has got a haircut like Rick Cornell’s, shaved all the way over bar a ponytail at the back. Dinsmore says that Bull and he are going to be the insurance policy at the Louisville Gardens, guaranteeing that Rob Conway and the Damaja won’t prevent Kenny Bolin from beating the ‘you know what’ out of Jim Cornette. Onto the match and Dinsmore with a leapfrog and a hip toss which Trash blocks and turns into a sit out powerbomb. Tag to Bull and Trash with a crossbody but he catches him. Dinsmore then with a dropkick to the back of Bull and he falls forward slamming Trash to the canvas in the process. An awkward Irish whip reversal and Bull leaps to the second rope and comes off with a clubbing blow to TPT. Dinsmore misses a diving headbutt and he gets the tag to Jebediah. He unloads on both, but as he is doing so, the Southern Blondes are out and attack Trash on the other side of the ring. Jeb goes for a chokeslam on Dinsmore but Bull nails him from behind. It’s 2 on 1, and with Trash helpless from the beating, Russ McCullough is out to help his River City Rumble partner, although that gives the heels the DQ win. As McCullough has Dinsmore up in the chokeslam he’s then attacked by Mr Black who bodyslams him. The heels beat them down until the Damaja and Rob Conway make the save with Cornette cutting a promo on commentary for the six-man and how once Buchanan and Dinsmore are gone, he’s going to kick Kenny Bolin’s ass.

Enjoyed all this. Everyone was more than capable when it came to cutting a promo, although the standouts were Trash and Jason Lee, while Nick Dinsmore was much better than I expected. I liked Dinsmore more here than in the singles he had with Conway, and he’s clearly far above everyone else in the match (although I continue to be impressed with Trailer Park Trash). Jebediah doesn’t look that good and Bull still comes across green, which is strange considering he was in SMW in 1995 so clearly isn’t a young rookie. The match served its purpose building two matches for the River City Rumble (Trash & Jeb & McCullough vs Blondes & Rogers, Dinsmore & Bull & Bolin vs Conway & Damaja & Cornette) and the finishing brawl and commentary/promo from Corny got me wanting to see that match.

• 8 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-01-15-OVW-TV] Bull Buchanan & Nick Dinsmore vs Trailer Park Trash & Jebediah