2017 MOTY Yes/No Thread

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#21 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

For others I've seen, assuming 4 stars is the cut off, I'd be NO on Yehi vs Henry (3.75) and NO on Okada vs Omega (3.75)

YES on Naito vs Tanahashi (4)

#22 superkix

superkix
  • Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

I'd like to see Shibata vs Goto represented, even if everyone says no.

I'd say yes to Shibata/Goto. 

#23 Magnum Milano

Magnum Milano
  • Members
  • 1832 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

Just a note, nominations and votes should be accompanied by a sentence or two explaining why.

#24 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Here:

Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata (1/4/17)

Chono sitting at ringside (contender for my least fave wrestler ever).

As this match started my girlfriend who was meant to have just gone to bed came in, sat down, and then ended up staying for the whole match. She'd never seen a wrestling match before so started out with all the usual "it's fake isn't it" talk, but that soon died down and she ended up getting really into the match and rooting for Goto. Her exact comment at one point was "the one in the black has been a real shit, I want the other one to come back and get him". By the end she was marking out for near falls. This was a very interesting experience in itself for me, because it's the first time I'd watched a match with a non-fan for years and years.

I thought this was a really excellent and fucking brutal match. I loved the sick arm section at the start with Shibata ramping up violence. He was working so stiff and sick, the level of roughness was breathtaking at times.

The hope spots from Goto were well timed, and each time Shibata took back control he ramped up the level of violence and dickishness some more. There was also a good level of cock-measuring stuff going on from him, I thought his character work was very effective.

Goto down his comeback stretch pulled out a number of pretty incredible spots I've never seen before which generally involved Shibata's neck landing on his knee. Some of those spots were "holy shit" incredible in my book.

This match had everything really, sound psychology, great storytelling, really next-level brutality, innovative (groundbreaking?) spots, and a gradual escalation of violence (it boils over when Shibata nails the ref). As good a match as I've ever seen in an NJPW ring. And it won over a non-fan in front of my eyes, which is something.

#25 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5140 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

Yes to Shibata/Goto.  See WK11 thread for thoughts.  Upped it to ****1/4 on a rewatch today.

#26 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1205 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

YES to Strong BJ vs Twin Towers

Not their best matchup but this was a fun as fuck hoss tag team battle in front of a hyped Korakuen Hall, that will always get a thumbs up from me.

#27 superkix

superkix
  • Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

Just a note, nominations and votes should be accompanied by a sentence or two explaining why.

Shibata works like a rabid dog. It's such an adrenaline-frenzied way of working that his "no selling" doesn't bother me and I think his long-term selling pays off in the end after all the shit he's endured catches up with him. The W1 Akiyama match is a perfect example of that. I thought this match was great, the only one that had me hooked in from start to finish. I don't get too excited by Goto and I think he was decent to good for most of the match but they built heat and escalated the violence in a believable way that by the finish, he looked really strong and pissed off. Shibata's selling and facials were terrific down the stretch and made Goto look even more dominant coming out as champ. 

#28 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

Shibata vs Goto - NO

Naito vs Tanahashi - YES

Omega vs Okada - YES

Thoughts on those in the WK11 thread.

Strong BJ vs Twin Towers- YES

I really enjoyed this. I thought it was a half step below some of their best they had back in 2015 (it was 2015 right?) but still a lot of fun. That headbutt was unreal. Maybe my favorite so far.

Nominating-

Kushida vs Takahashi NJPW 1/4

When was the last time the Dome crowd gave a shit about a junior match? I can't think of it. Thats what these guys accomplished, they made the Dome crowd care about a Junior match that involved a guy who had been away on excursion for the past 3 years. Yeah there were botched spots, but that almost added to the frenetic pace of the match. This was exactly what it needed to be- Takahashi returning and being crowned as the next junior ace.

#29 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5140 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:12 AM

No on Kushida/Takahashi.  Fun match with some psychotic spots & bumps, but there was too much slop and way too disjointed to belong in a MOTY discussion on my end.

#30 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Yes to Shibata/Naito.  See WK11 thread for thoughts.  Upped it to ****1/4 on a rewatch today.

Assume you mean Shibata vs Goto here?

#31 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5140 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Yes to Shibata/Naito.  See WK11 thread for thoughts.  Upped it to ****1/4 on a rewatch today.

Assume you mean Shibata vs Goto here?

Correct, will edit that now.  Shibata/Goto!  One of my favorite Goto matches.

#32 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7900 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate from the finals of the UK Tournament. A great story with Bate's arm injury, but just great work all around. Love this match!

#33 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

YES to Dunne vs Bate. I had never seen either of these guys. Really enjoyed this, enjoyed the shoulder work and Bate's comeback.

#34 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

Big YES to Shibata/Goto 1.4:

I reviewed it here with pics/gifs: http://prowresblog.b...2017-never.html

I wrote:

Hirooki Goto beat Katsuyori Shibata with the GTR. Awesome match. This was all brawling all the time and I loved it. A real man's man battle here with tons of haymakers. Everything Shibata did looked good. He even made corner stomps look legit, which almost every wrestler I've seen has been unable to do. Goto and Shibata match up so well together and this was another instance. They took it to the next level here with some of their exchanges and everything looked like it hurt. They did do a few no sells on suplexes which I hated, but overall I can forgive it for the strong work in other area's. Awesome pro wrestling and a definite must see match. Goto got the big win here and maybe NJPW can figure out how to get him in the main event in 2017. Rating:****1/2

#35 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

YES to Dunne/Bate. While I would have liked to have seen the shoulder/arm factor more into it a bit since it was injured, they did play up to it well. The crowd was hot and the match had built it meaning, so it was pretty much guaranteed to be something good.

#36 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7900 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Nominating El Phantasmo vs Kyle O'Reilly (ECCW 1/14/2017)

KOR returns to his hometown and promotion for a title shot and the crowd is nuts for this. 

El Phantasmo seems to be one of the best high flyers in the world and I've never seen him before. Seriously he does a rope walk moonsault to the floor and a dropkick from turnbuckle to corner diagonally across the ring. Just insane.. KOR worked his ass off keeping the match super dramatic and intense. KOR was just on another level working in his hometown. I'd say this is the best match I've seen all year (maybe on par with Yehi-Henry, but the crowd is super hot here). Easy nomination.

#37 Noah Mark

Noah Mark
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:42 PM

I'll go with a yes to Bate/Dunn.  Just a great match.  My only critic is Bate didn't sell much of the shoulder injury.  I loved the finish.  I think Bate go the Tiger Driver over as legit finisher.

Nominating:

Pete Dunn vs Mark Andrews 1/15/17.  I thought this was every bit as good as the final.  Andrews is graceful when he does is shooting star press!

#38 Noah Mark

Noah Mark
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:45 PM

Voting:

Dunn vs Bate-Yes.  A tremendous final.  The only critique I have is Bate really didn't do a good job selling the shoulder.  Still though I overlooked it.  Bate really got the Tiger Driver over as a legit finisher.

Nominating:

Mark Andrews vs Pete Dunn.  I thought this was just as good as the final.  Andrews just is so graceful with everything he does in the ring, especially his shooting star press.

#39 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7900 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:33 PM

Yes to Andrews vs Dunn I thought it wss a great contrast of styles and an awesome story. Both were top notch

#40 catsfan1984

catsfan1984
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

Yes to Andrews vs Dunn. Not as good as final but deserving of a spot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users