• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#41 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

El Phantasmo vs Kyle O'Reilly (ECCW 1/14/2017)- NO

This match had a hot crowd and Phantasmo has some springs for legs. That's the good. The bad- There was so many over contrived, overly cooperative spots in this match. And this is coming from somebody who like Okada vs Omega (and usually likes Okada's work in general so I have a high tolerance for athletic overly cooperative nonsense). With that said there were several times in the match where I was like what the fuck.  Really I feel like Phantasmo missed his calling as a gymnast. Anyways there was a really hot crowd and that sort of saved it from being unwatchable.

#42 Noah Mark

Noah Mark
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

Voting:

Pete Dunn vs Mark Andrews-Yes.  I thought this was better than the final.  To me this match was also better than their match last year at the BOLA.

#43 Coffey

Coffey

@Skelemania

• Members
  • 3792 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

Yes to Dunn/Bate from the UK Tournament.
No to Dunn/Andrews from the UK Tournament.
No to Goto/Shibata from Wrestle Kingdom...but it's really close.
HARD NO to Kushida/Takahashi from Wrestle Kingdom

#44 Parties

Parties
  • Members
  • 1130 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:44 AM

My reviews of these are in the UK and WK threads, but I can dig them up if need be.

YES to:

Bate vs. Dunne

Shibata vs. Goto

Naito vs. Tanahashi

Okada vs. Omega

NO to:

Dunne vs. Andrews

Kushida vs. Hiromu

Nominating: Drew Galloway vs. Bully Ray (WhatCulture, 1/6/17)

This is a match where the face joins the crowd for a beer. It is one of multiple nut shots. Of a long heel promo in which Liverpool is praised and promises to be broken are made. Of mugging to the crowd and foreign objects. Whereas Rhodes-Ricochet in the match prior to this seemed to have no story, this is all story. A wild brawl through the crowd, with Bully doing hardly more than throwing punches and gouging eyes. Timeless characters played very well by both: Galloway is less obvious, but he is a killer babyface here as he gives Ray a ton and sells so believably. Not sure who the two small money mark looking dudes were at the end, but this also had an ending and post-match angle that felt big and crazy yet totally worked, presenting a big star who seems way better suited as a heel than his usual role as a face.

#45 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:45 AM

NOMINATING-

Matt Riddle vs Katsuyori Shibata RevPro 1/21/17

This was a lot a fun. It was a Shibata type match where they just beat the shit out of each other at a frenzied pace. Some really great echanges.  Hot crowd. Only problem with it is there's some limbwork that doesn't go anywhere, but in the scheme of things, you don't expect much working over a body part in a Shibata type of match.

#46 bucky

bucky
  • Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

I'll throw Shibata/Riddle a YES. My thoughts are in the match thread, but I feel like it's worth noting further how much fun Riddle's selling and facial expressions are here. His staggering dazedness reminds me of Kawada at times, and he really makes Shibata look like a badass. Only complaints I have are that Riddle's strikes early on felt pretty light compared to Shibata's, and then the inevitable German trading section was a bit obnoxious. This was certainly a Shibata match, and a real good one. I have it just above the Goto match.

Also, while I usually hate the English crowd singing and chanting, I did enjoy them singing Spandau Ballet's "Gold" throughout this match. I had no context, no idea why they were doing it, but I thought it was fun.

#47 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7726 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

Yes to Dunn/Bate from the UK Tournament.
No to Dunn/Andrews from the UK Tournament.
No to Goto/Shibata from Wrestle Kingdom...but it's really close.
HARD NO to Kushida/Takahashi from Wrestle Kingdom

Please provide reasons, even a sentence or link to your words elsewhere.

#48 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7726 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

Nominating: Imposible vs Relampago (IWRG, 1/22)

A really heated lucha match with an amazing beat down by the rudo for the first two falls. So much so the crowd (to be fair, a lot of them were his "clients") interfered giving the babyface water, distracting the referee, and saving him from future torture.

The crowd brawling section was as good as I've seen that done in a long long time. Great match!

#49 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

I'll throw Shibata/Riddle a YES. My thoughts are in the match thread, but I feel like it's worth noting further how much fun Riddle's selling and facial expressions are here. His staggering dazedness reminds me of Kawada at times, and he really makes Shibata look like a badass. Only complaints I have are that Riddle's strikes early on felt pretty light compared to Shibata's, and then the inevitable German trading section was a bit obnoxious. This was certainly a Shibata match, and a real good one. I have it just above the Goto match.

Also, while I usually hate the English crowd singing and chanting, I did enjoy them singing Spandau Ballet's "Gold" throughout this match. I had no context, no idea why they were doing it, but I thought it was fun.

The crowd are replacing gold with 'bro' whilst singing. Pretty funny stuff.

#50 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

NO to Shibata/Riddle, per my thoughts in the MDA.  A good, solid match but far from MOTYC.

#51 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:55 AM

NO to Shibata/Riddle, per my thoughts in the MDA.  A good, solid match but far from MOTYC.

Agreed.

NO to Shibata/Riddle. Little more than an extended Shibata squash and the match was built around no selling

#52 RyanClingman

RyanClingman
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:27 AM

Thank you for doing one of these threads again! They are a tremendous resource. 

I am very surprised to see such universal support for Tanahashi and Naito. As far as the "self conscious epic" goes that match seemed to tick far more boxes than Okada-Omega. In fact, I thought that Tanahashi/Naito pretty much embodied the big NJPW style, where as Omega-Okada was far more diversified -- at least to my eyes. I have a lot of thoughts coming up on these matches, but for now.

YES - Hiromu Takahashi vs. KUSHIDA NJPW 01/04: Absolutely amazing stuff here. I don't mind go-go-go type matches (and this wasn't that), but for any match to do well in my book it must have featured some kind of memorable moment which fits into the broader match structure. This match had that, with the armbar on the floor legitimately taking my breath away -- I may have stopped breathing for a good 4 or 5 seconds. Everything felt crisp, and it was an undoubted star making performance. This is my second favourite match of the year thus far. **** 3/4 

YES - Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega NJPW 01/04: I think that the 6-star treatment that this match observed is doing it a dis-service. It was an outstanding match. Would I have liked to have seen more from the back work? Sure. Was there superfluous melo-drama? Yes. Was it the best match ever? No, at least not for me as a viewer -- the term isn't well defined for me anyway. Was the match great? Most certainly. And moreover was it 5-stars? I would say so, yes. 

YES - Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto NJPW 01/04: When Shibata is on he is one of my favourite wrestlers in the world. When Shibata is off he approaches self-parody. He teetered on the line between the two in this match, as he often does with Goto, but there was a lot to love here. For one, they cut down on head-on-head contact, which can only be a positive. At the same time, however, they substitute the brutal and self-destructive headbutt spots with tamer ones to the chest and neck which worked just as well, if not better. Wonderful stuff here. 

NO - John Cena vs. AJ Styles WWE 01/29: I know that this match hasn't been nominated yet, and so I don't quite know if I can say "no" on it, but I thought that I would put this here as someone who has honestly tried, and subsequently failed time after time to see the appeal of this match-up. Cena as Donkey Kong is wonderful stuff, but since the Owens feud he has done very little for me, unfortunately. Cena was great for well over a decade, not because he was good at working other people's styles, but because (in part) he was an elite base for most anyone. He has lost that with me, unfortunately. Feel free to discount this 'no' vote!

#53 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

NOMINATING:

Kazuchika Okada © vs Minoru Suzuki - NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo (02/05)

This might be my favorite Okada match ever, and I thought it was a much better match than the WK11 main event as well. It does have some faults, like going way too long, but in this occasion it has more to do with both guys milking the spots for maximum effect than flat out filler.

Minoru Suzuki just working the shit out of Okada's leg and also flat out punking him made for an actual compelling story of overcoming the odds, almost Cena-esque at points. 

Okada needs to work on his offense though. When he's up against someone that can be as stiff as MiSu, his strikes look like a soft breeze.

#54 Noah Mark

Noah Mark
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:23 PM

Nominating:

Travis Banks vs Zack Sabre Jr-WCPW 1/6/17.  Really good.  Banks really amazed me in this match.  Some goods spots by both.  Sabre can just pull out a submission at any point during the match.  Just amazing.

Marty Scurll vs El Ligero vs Gabriel Kidd-WCPW 1/6/17.  For me it was really well worked.  Scurll plays a great heel.  Kidd pulled out a really good performance.  He has that underdog heat from the crowd.  This is the best that I've seen Ligero look.

#55 Noah Mark

Noah Mark
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

Voting::

Imposible vs Relampago.  Yes.  A fantastic match and right now my favorite IWRG match.  Relampago busted out some cool submissions.  Didn't care for much of the brawling all over the arena but once they got back in the ring it picked up.

#56 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:16 PM

YES to these two from DDT Tokyo Puroresu 1/4/2017

Saki Aki vs Miyu Yamashita

Yuu vs Shoko Nakajima

Saki Aki vs Miyu Yamashita:

39.gif

Akai is basically a new Yumi Ohka or Takako. She's this tall lanky egotistical snobby gucci girl. She has a man servant who wipes the floor for her. She's a total arrogant bad ass and plays her character to a "T". She used to model too and yeah the sex appeal helps. Miyu is a young Chigusa. Fiery, a kicker and has a mean streak in her. While this did have some comedy crap in it, some of the strikes were a little off and I rated it only ***3/4, I thought this really good. Both girls are already WWE ready and Akai could easily be the top joshi star right now if someone spots her. You could tell just by watching these girls enter that they have the it factor.

Yuu vs Shoko Nakajima

42.gif

Yuu is a female Brock. She does all these awesome judo throws and really slams people home. Shoko is your Io-Shirai like babyface girl who flies and has some fire to her. Pretty much a perfect matchup for these two as their puzzle pieces fit right in. They start it off slow and work the match and escalate the violence as it goes further on. Yuu is a fricking bulldozer and you'll love it.

#57 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:41 PM

Yuu vs Shoko Nakajima

Akai is basically a new Yumi Ohka or Takako. She's this tall lanky egotistical snobby gucci girl. She has a man servant who wipes the floor for her. She's a total arrogant bad ass and plays her character to a "T". She used to model too and yeah the sex appeal helps. Miyu is a young Chigusa. Fiery, a kicker and has a mean streak in her. While this did have some comedy crap in it, some of the strikes were a little off and I rated it only ***3/4, I thought this really good. Both girls are already WWE ready and Akai could easily be the top joshi star right now if someone spots her. You could tell just by watching these girls enter that they have the it factor.

Yuu vs Shoko Nakajima

Yuu is a female Brock. She does all these awesome judo throws and really slams people hope. Shoko is your Io-Shirai like babyface girl who flies and has some fire to her. Pretty much a perfect matchup for these two as their puzzle pieces fit right in. They start it off slow and work the match and escalate the violence as it goes further on. Yuu is a fricking bulldozer and you'll love it.

Are these available online?

#58 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:31 PM

Yuu vs Shoko Nakajima

Yuu vs Shoko Nakajima

Yuu is a female Brock. She does all these awesome judo throws and really slams people hope. Shoko is your Io-Shirai like babyface girl who flies and has some fire to her. Pretty much a perfect matchup for these two as their puzzle pieces fit right in. They start it off slow and work the match and escalate the violence as it goes further on. Yuu is a fricking bulldozer and you'll love it.

Are these available online?

XWT or DDT Universe.

#59 joeg

joeg
  • Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

YES to Okada vs Suzuki 2/5

This match had a lot of bells and whistles but told a pretty good story. My only gripe is Okada's uneven selling of the knee injury. 20 minutes in, he can't stand on it. 35 minutes in he was exhausted but the knee was fine. It was like he got a cortisone shot or something.

#60 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4681 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

Yes to Okada/Suzuki 2/5.

Just finished watching it and it might be my favorite New Japan match in awhile. I knew it was 40 minutes going in and it didn't feel like it. The final leglock sequence was great as you wondered how Okada was finally going to get out of the hold. I really enjoyed this and hope there's a rematch down the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users