Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Hall of Fame 2017

SteveJRogers

Motorhead is a pretty huge band, man. It's not like only wrestling fans know about it. They're not obscure or niche in the least.

They're a niche band in the metal scene with a cult following. More of a UK deal too. They are not a household name in the States. The Celebrity Wing so far is pretty much all mainstream household names, they wouldn't fit. Refrigerator Perry is the most obscure, but even he was a big deal in the mid 80s.

Yeah, why not put JBL in, who probably got bumped off last year due to wanting to change the leaked list a bit. Gives SD a bragging point for having a HoFer on their announcer crew.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorhead is a pretty huge band, man. It's not like only wrestling fans know about it. They're not obscure or niche in the least.

They're a niche band in the metal scene with a cult following. More of a UK deal too. They are not a household name in the States. The Celebrity Wing so far is pretty much all mainstream household names, they wouldn't fit. Refrigerator Perry is the most obscure, but even he was a big deal in the mid 80s.

Yeah, why not put JBL in, who probably got bumped off last year due to wanting to change the leaked list a bit. Gives SD a bragging point for having a HoFer on their announcer crew.

Lol Motorhead is not a niche band with a cult following, but okay. The band/Lemmy still deserve to be in the HOF more than just about any other celeb in the HOF. They put Inoki and Fujinami in the real wing, and had a section devoted to Gotch and Hackenschmidt last year. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Motorhead is more known to current WWE fans than George Hackenschmidt, Lou Thesz, Frank Gotch, and Antonio Inoki.

Lol Motorhead is not a niche band with a cult following, but okay. The band/Lemmy still deserve to be in the HOF more than just about any other celeb in the HOF.

Derringer deserves it more than them.

I know that they tend to not want to put too many deceased wrestlers in each year, but what with the launch of the UK Championship next week that could be a nice tie in to have the British Bulldog go in this year if he's on their radar at all. If that was the case I'm sure they could get something agreed with New Japan to have Harry there to accept the award and someone like Bret to do the induction.

I know that they tend to not want to put too many deceased wrestlers in each year, but what with the launch of the UK Championship next week that could be a nice tie in to have the British Bulldog go in this year if he's on their radar at all. If that was the case I'm sure they could get something agreed with New Japan to have Harry there to accept the award and someone like Bret to do the induction.

Part of me wonders if they are waiting for Bilington to pass so they can induct the tag team, without Dynamite Kid going off the rails in an induction speech.

Part of me wonders if they are waiting for Bilington to pass so they can induct the tag team, without Dynamite Kid going off the rails in an induction speech.

From recent footage of him posted by his wife, he doesn't appear to be capable of travel much less a speech.

Edit: Here it is.

Yeah, I was thinking the Bulldogs were a possibility because Dynamite is alive, and then I imagined Kid's speech and... no.

Lol Motorhead is not a niche band with a cult following, but okay. The band/Lemmy still deserve to be in the HOF more than just about any other celeb in the HOF. They put Inoki and Fujinami in the real wing, and had a section devoted to Gotch and Hackenschmidt last year. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Motorhead is more known to current WWE fans than George Hackenschmidt, Lou Thesz, Frank Gotch, and Antonio Inoki.

I think you might be a little too much in the wrestling and/or metal bubble on this one. I never said only wrestling fans knew who Motorhead was, but they aren't a household name by any stretch.

I think it's far more likely that they induct the Hart Foundation at some point. That way you can get Pillman, Owen, and Bulldog in without it really being about any of them.

Would it be more likely they'd induct the original tag version rather than the 1997 version? The stable version didn't even last a year. Also has 3 dead guys. But would WWE really want to make Jimmy Hart a double inductee (if he's included)?

I think you might be a little too much in the wrestling and/or metal bubble on this one. I never said only wrestling fans knew who Motorhead was, but they aren't a household name by any stretch.

I think one of the reason why Lemmy/Motorhead might not get in, is how much of a draw is Motorhead going in to the hall of fame without Lemmy physically being able to be there. While all of WWE HOF is pretty much a PR move/ticket grab, the celebrity hall of fame is an even bigger one.

I'm not in either bubble. Motorhead was still headlining festivals and playing thousands per show up until Lemmy couldn't do shows. I didn't say they were a house hold name that even non metal fans know. But they're a lot bigger than niche band with a cult following.

Yeah, it's just false to say Motorhead was a "niche" band in the metal scene. In the metal scene, they're as "niche" as Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath.

As far as mainstream attention, definitely more popular in the UK overall but a lot more coverage in US media due to Lemmy's declining health (The New York Times, Playboy, Vice) over the last few years. How many people in the company's target demo still consider Drew Carey a household name?

Hunter's speech at the funeral also went over really well among people who aren't fans, and I could see them including Lemmy just to maintain some shine and cool points out of the association, which was the whole point of getting him to do entrance music.

I feel bad for derailing the thread a bit. But let me add. I'm not a metalhead, but I'm in tune enough with pop culture to know how mainstream certain artists are. Motorhead is not the Rolling Stones. Ask 100 people on the street who Motorhead is, most wouldn't have a clue. Based on who's in the celeb wing, they don't really fit. WWE puts mainstream celebs who are alive. The most obscure ones are Refrigerator Perry (who was a big deal in '85, plus inducted in Chicago) and Bob Uecker (who still played the dad on a sitcom for 5 seasons and did beer commercials; although his popularity is kinda localized). They'd almost be like a James Dudley inductee at this point. Someone who was kinda known but was friends with the higher ups. The HoF is a little more professional than that now. Does Motorhead/Lemmy "deserve" it, of course. Bar is low for 100 celebs to go in. Will it happen, I'd say unlikely.

Drew Carey, not even a fair comparison with mainstream recognition. Had his own sitcom for almost 10 years, hosted Whose Line and hosts a popular game show that has a sizable young adult/college demo. 20+ years with a high-profile starring role on network TV.

If I were them, I'd have Fozzy (or, preferably, a better band, but hey, its WWE) come out and do a mini-Motorhead set ("Ace of Spades," "Motorhead," "No Class"?) or something. Sure would be a nice way to add music to a 4-hour speech-a-thon. They do it for awards shows, so, its not like it would be totally out of place.

That or take my real suggestion - bringing Todd Pettengill out to do one of those medleys he used to do for the Slammys. That shit was sick.

I had to google James Dudley and was surprised he wasn't Scotty on Star Trek.

With all due respect to Mr. Dudley and his role in the WWWF, Lemmy Kilmister is a rock icon whose popularity and name has actually increased over the years, not unlike The Ramones. In 20 years, there will still be kids rocking Motorhead shirts based on the iconic logo and maybe knowing Ace of Spades from a video game just like everyone and their teen sister has a Ramones shirt these days even if they can't name a single song. Lemmy's legend has also been promoted by modern stars like Dave Grohl and in a recent documentary on Netflix (that was also airing constantly on VH1 for awhile).

Unlike Drew Carey, a stand-up turned sitcom star turned game show host, Lemmy is cool and always will be cool. Rebels don't go out of style. Drew Carey will be lucky to be remembered as the second host of The Price is Right in 20 years. His show may have been popular in the mid90s, but it wasn't a pop culture phenomenon. It wasn't Cheers. It wasn't Seinfeld. It wasn't Friends.

Lemmy may be a cult hero, but cult heroes like Lemmy only gain notoriety over the years. Again, there are plenty of bands that outsold The Ramones in the late 70s and 80s, but how many Styx tee shirts do you see around town? Who do you think will still be remembered in 2050 - the Sex Pistols or Foghat?

EDIT - I make this point just to say that the WWE is dumb if they think Lemmy isn't a big enough name to induct in their Hall. If he was big enough to perform at two Manias (?) and he's only going to gain in coolness over the years, he's more worthy than most.

If I were them, I'd have Fozzy (or, preferably, a better band, but hey, its WWE) come out and do a mini-Motorhead set ("Ace of Spades," "Motorhead," "No Class"?) or something. Sure would be a nice way to add music to a 4-hour speech-a-thon. They do it for awards shows, so, its not like it would be totally out of place.

That or take my real suggestion - bringing Todd Pettengill out to do one of those medleys he used to do for the Slammys. That shit was sick.

Speaking of Fozzy, I can't believe how bad that band is. I mean, I can, because Jericho is the definition of dadboner, but holy shit they're really terrible. The lyrics all sound like bootleg Bray Wyatt promos.