WWE Hall of Fame 2017

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#21 Brandon-E

Brandon-E
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

I think Muhammad Ali will be the first dead celeb to enter the WWE HOF.

#22 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2616 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

I can see the case for Motörhead (rather then just Lemmy) getting in, and Trips using it as a platform to say they should be in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame (which they should).

If the story is true that Vince, Sr. rejected doing something with Kaufman before Memphis did, he'll definitely never get in.

I doubt Ali will get in either, as his family might object. 

#23 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2788 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Kaufman was a New Yorker who attended MSG cards in the 60s and 70s and was even interviewed by Vince Jr on an MSG show in 79 doing the intergender gimmick, so there is a connection outside of just Memphis

#24 AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

I can see the case for Motörhead (rather then just Lemmy) getting in, and Trips using it as a platform to say they should be in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame (which they should).

If the story is true that Vince, Sr. rejected doing something with Kaufman before Memphis did, he'll definitely never get in.

I doubt Ali will get in either, as his family might object. 

I could see Motorhead going in or even just Lemmy. They did enough musical contributions for the company and performed at couple Mania events. Probably one of the few celebrity inductions I would be okay with in general.

#25 JRH

JRH
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:01 PM

Only problem is that Motorhead have had numerous lineup changes throughout the years, with only Lemmy being the only consistent member. I suppose the lineup who recorded "The Game" (Lemmy, Phil Campbell, Mickey Dee)  could show up (Well, except for Lemmy of course). Back on topic, I could seriously see JBL getting inducted. 

#26 shakla

shakla
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:26 AM

Motorhead is a pretty huge band, man. It's not like only wrestling fans know about it. They're not obscure or niche in the least.

They're a niche band in the metal scene with a cult following.  More of a UK deal too.  They are not a household name in the States.  The Celebrity Wing so far is pretty much all mainstream household names, they wouldn't fit.  Refrigerator Perry is the most obscure, but even he was a big deal in the mid 80s.

Yeah, why not put JBL in, who probably got bumped off last year due to wanting to change the leaked list a bit.  Gives SD a bragging point for having a HoFer on their announcer crew.

#27 Brandon-E

Brandon-E
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:50 AM

Will Christian go in this year? 

#28 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:16 AM

Motorhead is a pretty huge band, man. It's not like only wrestling fans know about it. They're not obscure or niche in the least.

They're a niche band in the metal scene with a cult following.  More of a UK deal too.  They are not a household name in the States.  The Celebrity Wing so far is pretty much all mainstream household names, they wouldn't fit.  Refrigerator Perry is the most obscure, but even he was a big deal in the mid 80s.

Yeah, why not put JBL in, who probably got bumped off last year due to wanting to change the leaked list a bit.  Gives SD a bragging point for having a HoFer on their announcer crew.

Lol Motorhead is not a niche band with a cult following, but okay. The band/Lemmy still deserve to be in the HOF more than just about any other celeb in the HOF. They put Inoki and Fujinami in the real wing, and had a section devoted to Gotch and Hackenschmidt last year. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Motorhead is more known to current WWE fans than George Hackenschmidt, Lou Thesz, Frank Gotch, and Antonio Inoki.

#29 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10257 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:27 AM

Lol Motorhead is not a niche band with a cult following, but okay. The band/Lemmy still deserve to be in the HOF more than just about any other celeb in the HOF.

Derringer deserves it more than them.

#30 greenmistguy90

greenmistguy90
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

With Bruno savage warrior in , that whole never gonna make it thing is thrown out the window for me personally

I'm sure hhh wishes he could
Have done lemmy when he was alive

And I'm sure "deserved more " factors in

#31 TonyPulis'Cap

TonyPulis'Cap
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

I know that they tend to not want to put too many deceased wrestlers in each year, but what with the launch of the UK Championship next week that could be a nice tie in to have the British Bulldog go in this year if he's on their radar at all. If that was the case I'm sure they could get something agreed with New Japan to have Harry there to accept the award and someone like Bret to do the induction.

#32 SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers
  • Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

I know that they tend to not want to put too many deceased wrestlers in each year, but what with the launch of the UK Championship next week that could be a nice tie in to have the British Bulldog go in this year if he's on their radar at all. If that was the case I'm sure they could get something agreed with New Japan to have Harry there to accept the award and someone like Bret to do the induction.

Part of me wonders if they are waiting for Bilington to pass so they can induct the tag team, without Dynamite Kid going off the rails in an induction speech.

#33 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

Part of me wonders if they are waiting for Bilington to pass so they can induct the tag team, without Dynamite Kid going off the rails in an induction speech.

From recent footage of him posted by his wife, he doesn't appear to be capable of travel much less a speech.

Edit: Here it is.

#34 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10257 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

I think it's far more likely that they induct the Hart Foundation at some point. That way you can get Pillman, Owen, and Bulldog in without it really being about any of them.

#35 Migs

Migs
  • Members
  • 1072 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the Bulldogs were a possibility because Dynamite is alive, and then I imagined Kid's speech and... no.

#36 shakla

shakla
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

Lol Motorhead is not a niche band with a cult following, but okay. The band/Lemmy still deserve to be in the HOF more than just about any other celeb in the HOF. They put Inoki and Fujinami in the real wing, and had a section devoted to Gotch and Hackenschmidt last year. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Motorhead is more known to current WWE fans than George Hackenschmidt, Lou Thesz, Frank Gotch, and Antonio Inoki.

I think you might be a little too much in the wrestling and/or metal bubble on this one.  I never said only wrestling fans knew who Motorhead was, but they aren't a household name by any stretch. 

#37 shakla

shakla
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

I think it's far more likely that they induct the Hart Foundation at some point. That way you can get Pillman, Owen, and Bulldog in without it really being about any of them.

Would it be more likely they'd induct the original tag version rather than the 1997 version?   The stable version didn't even last a year.  Also has 3 dead guys.  But would WWE really want to make Jimmy Hart a double inductee (if he's included)? 

#38 slackermillionaire

slackermillionaire
  • Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

I think you might be a little too much in the wrestling and/or metal bubble on this one.  I never said only wrestling fans knew who Motorhead was, but they aren't a household name by any stretch. 

I think one of the reason why Lemmy/Motorhead might not get in, is how much of a draw is Motorhead going in to the hall of fame without Lemmy physically being able to be there. While all of WWE HOF is pretty much a PR move/ticket grab, the celebrity hall of fame is an even bigger one.

#39 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2932 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

I'm surprised WWE hasn't inducted a Brit yet. William Regal seems like an obvious candidate.

#40 Brandon-E

Brandon-E
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

I'm surprised WWE hasn't inducted a Brit yet. William Regal seems like an obvious candidate.

I think Dynamite Kid will get in before Regal does. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users