• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#41 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Motorhead is a pretty huge band, man. It's not like only wrestling fans know about it. They're not obscure or niche in the least.

They're a niche band in the metal scene with a cult following.  More of a UK deal too.  They are not a household name in the States.  The Celebrity Wing so far is pretty much all mainstream household names, they wouldn't fit.  Refrigerator Perry is the most obscure, but even he was a big deal in the mid 80s.

Yeah, why not put JBL in, who probably got bumped off last year due to wanting to change the leaked list a bit.  Gives SD a bragging point for having a HoFer on their announcer crew.

Lol Motorhead is not a niche band with a cult following, but okay. The band/Lemmy still deserve to be in the HOF more than just about any other celeb in the HOF. They put Inoki and Fujinami in the real wing, and had a section devoted to Gotch and Hackenschmidt last year. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Motorhead is more known to current WWE fans than George Hackenschmidt, Lou Thesz, Frank Gotch, and Antonio Inoki.

I think you might be a little too much in the wrestling and/or metal bubble on this one.  I never said only wrestling fans knew who Motorhead was, but they aren't a household name by any stretch. 

I'm not in either bubble. Motorhead was still headlining festivals and playing thousands per show up until Lemmy couldn't do shows. I didn't say they were a house hold name that even non metal fans know. But they're a lot bigger than niche band with a cult following. 

#42 Fando

Fando
  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, it's just false to say Motorhead was a "niche" band in the metal scene. In the metal scene, they're as "niche" as Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath.

As far as mainstream attention, definitely more popular in the UK overall but a lot more coverage in US media due to Lemmy's declining health (The New York Times, Playboy, Vice) over the last few years. How many people in the company's target demo still consider Drew Carey a household name?

Hunter's speech at the funeral also went over really well among people who aren't fans, and I could see them including Lemmy just to maintain some shine and cool points out of the association, which was the whole point of getting him to do entrance music.

#43 shakla

shakla
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

I feel bad for derailing the thread a bit.  But let me add.  I'm not a metalhead, but I'm in tune enough with pop culture to know how mainstream certain artists are.  Motorhead is not the Rolling Stones.  Ask 100 people on the street who Motorhead is, most wouldn't have a clue.  Based on who's in the celeb wing, they don't really fit.  WWE puts mainstream celebs who are alive.  The most obscure ones are Refrigerator Perry (who was a big deal in '85, plus inducted in Chicago) and Bob Uecker (who still played the dad on a sitcom for 5 seasons and did beer commercials; although his popularity is kinda localized).  They'd almost be like a James Dudley inductee at this point.  Someone who was kinda known but was friends with the higher ups.  The HoF is a little more professional than that now.   Does Motorhead/Lemmy "deserve" it, of course.  Bar is low for 100 celebs to go in. Will it happen, I'd say unlikely.

Drew Carey, not even a fair comparison with mainstream recognition.  Had his own sitcom for almost 10 years, hosted Whose Line and hosts a popular game show that has a sizable young adult/college demo.  20+ years with a high-profile starring role on network TV.

#44 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

If I were them, I'd have Fozzy (or, preferably, a better band, but hey, its WWE) come out and do a mini-Motorhead set ("Ace of Spades," "Motorhead," "No Class"?) or something. Sure would be a nice way to add music to a 4-hour speech-a-thon. They do it for awards shows, so, its not like it would be totally out of place.

That or take my real suggestion - bringing Todd Pettengill out to do one of those medleys he used to do for the Slammys. That shit was sick.

#45 Fando

Fando
  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Comparing a guy who was more of a celebrity than almost the entire working roster, to James Dudley because he wasn't Mick Jagger is so absurd we can just end it there.

#46 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

I had to google James Dudley and was surprised he wasn't Scotty on Star Trek.

With all due respect to Mr. Dudley and his role in the WWWF, Lemmy Kilmister is a rock icon whose popularity and name has actually increased over the years, not unlike The Ramones. In 20 years, there will still be kids rocking Motorhead shirts based on the iconic logo and maybe knowing Ace of Spades from a video game just like everyone and their teen sister has a Ramones shirt these days even if they can't name a single song. Lemmy's legend has also been promoted by modern stars like Dave Grohl and in a recent documentary on Netflix (that was also airing constantly on VH1 for awhile).

Unlike Drew Carey, a stand-up turned sitcom star turned game show host, Lemmy is cool and always will be cool. Rebels don't go out of style. Drew Carey will be lucky to be remembered as the second host of The Price is Right in 20 years. His show may have been popular in the mid90s, but it wasn't a pop culture phenomenon. It wasn't Cheers. It wasn't Seinfeld. It wasn't Friends.

Lemmy may be a cult hero, but cult heroes like Lemmy only gain notoriety over the years. Again, there are plenty of bands that outsold The Ramones in the late 70s and 80s, but how many Styx tee shirts do you see around town? Who do you think will still be remembered in 2050 - the Sex Pistols or Foghat?

EDIT - I make this point just to say that the WWE is dumb if they think Lemmy isn't a big enough name to induct in their Hall. If he was big enough to perform at two Manias (?) and he's only going to gain in coolness over the years, he's more worthy than most.

#47 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

If I were them, I'd have Fozzy (or, preferably, a better band, but hey, its WWE) come out and do a mini-Motorhead set ("Ace of Spades," "Motorhead," "No Class"?) or something. Sure would be a nice way to add music to a 4-hour speech-a-thon. They do it for awards shows, so, its not like it would be totally out of place.

That or take my real suggestion - bringing Todd Pettengill out to do one of those medleys he used to do for the Slammys. That shit was sick.

Speaking of Fozzy, I can't believe how bad that band is. I mean, I can, because Jericho is the definition of dadboner, but holy shit they're really terrible. The lyrics all sound like bootleg Bray Wyatt promos. 

#48 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

They really are a shining example of what would happen if everyone's dad got to have a touring band.

#49 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4487 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

I like that Jericho has gotten to do the two things he wanted to do since he was a kid, be a wrestler and be in a band. I think that's cool.
And maybe it's an age thing, but as a 46 year old American, Motörhead was totally a band everyone was aware of.

#50 Log

Log
  • Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:28 PM

I have a nephew named Lemmy. Named after the Motörhead Lemmy. That's not really part of the argument. It's just cool.

Also, my iPhone autocorrects Motörhead to include the umlaut. Pretty well-known if you're band's in autocorrect, I'd say.

#51 Brandon-E

Brandon-E
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

I'd love to see Toots Mondt get in this year but who's going to represent him?

#52 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

Eventually NWO is going into HOF. Is it going to be a situation where only the first 3 members (Hogan, Hall, and Nash) get rings (thus making all three two-time HOFers) or will this be more Hall/Nash/Hogan accept while guys like Vincent, Norton, etc. get rings in the mail (or kayfabe ring)? Perhaps Hogan gets a ring and says 'but this is for all the members' while being the only one to actually receive something physical and the majority of the honors and actual recognition. Should be interesting when that happens.

#53 cowboy hats

cowboy hats
  • Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

Link?

#54 AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

I feel bad for derailing the thread a bit.  But let me add.  I'm not a metalhead, but I'm in tune enough with pop culture to know how mainstream certain artists are.  Motorhead is not the Rolling Stones.  Ask 100 people on the street who Motorhead is, most wouldn't have a clue.  Based on who's in the celeb wing, they don't really fit.  WWE puts mainstream celebs who are alive.  The most obscure ones are Refrigerator Perry (who was a big deal in '85, plus inducted in Chicago) and Bob Uecker (who still played the dad on a sitcom for 5 seasons and did beer commercials; although his popularity is kinda localized).  They'd almost be like a James Dudley inductee at this point.  Someone who was kinda known but was friends with the higher ups.  The HoF is a little more professional than that now.   Does Motorhead/Lemmy "deserve" it, of course.  Bar is low for 100 celebs to go in. Will it happen, I'd say unlikely.

Drew Carey, not even a fair comparison with mainstream recognition.  Had his own sitcom for almost 10 years, hosted Whose Line and hosts a popular game show that has a sizable young adult/college demo.  20+ years with a high-profile starring role on network TV.

Are you really using the whole "They aren't as big as The Rolling Stones" argument as to why they shouldn't put him in.

I like that Jericho has gotten to do the two things he wanted to do since he was a kid, be a wrestler and be in a band. I think that's cool.
And maybe it's an age thing, but as a 46 year old American, Motörhead was totally a band everyone was aware of.

Yep Motorhead was pretty well known in the 80s when the metal scene was thriving in the US.

Eventually NWO is going into HOF. Is it going to be a situation where only the first 3 members (Hogan, Hall, and Nash) get rings (thus making all three two-time HOFers) or will this be more Hall/Nash/Hogan accept while guys like Vincent, Norton, etc. get rings in the mail (or kayfabe ring)? Perhaps Hogan gets a ring and says 'but this is for all the members' while being the only one to actually receive something physical and the majority of the honors and actual recognition. Should be interesting when that happens.

I would suspect they only do the "Orginal 3" and maybe Eric. I highly doubt they are going to induct all the B-List level guys. When they did the Horsemen they only did one lineup of guys Flair,Arn,Tully,Barry and JJ wasn't like Sid,Roma and guys like that got inducted.

#55 AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93
  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Link?

They used to be on YouTube but I think the company had them removed when they plagued YouTube in 2012 and 2013 for content. Opie & Anthony played one of them once when they were taking the piss out of his radio show with Scott Shannon a few years back.

Slammy song starts at 4:30 though you get to hear a great Facebook parody song by Todd at the start.

#56 shakla

shakla
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:26 PM

People are missing my point.  I didn't compare Motorhead/Lenny to James Dudley, it was about the scope of celebrities inducted.  Talk to regular people who aren't die-hard metal and/or wrestling fans, most don't know who Motorhead is.  Their Q rating is not sky high.  Everyone knows who Drew Carey is.  Even if he's not "cool".

#57 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2616 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

Okay, if we can get back to actually talking about wrestlers, which tag team do you think gets in this year? 

#58 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

The tag team of Lemmy and whiskey 

#59 Brandon-E

Brandon-E
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

Okay, if we can get back to actually talking about wrestlers, which tag team do you think gets in this year? 

The Rock 'n' Roll Express

#60 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 682 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

Daniel Bryan seems like an obvious choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users