Pro Wrestling Only

Best/FavoriteTokyo Dome Match Ever

elliott

FIgured this would be timely. Omega vs Okada is getting greatest match of all time praise from some. Others didn't like it at all. Whether folks agree on Omega vs Okada or not, we can all agree there have been some fucking awesome matches at the Tokyo Dome over the years. What was the best match you've seen at the dome. If its different from the best match, whats your favorite Dome match ever?

Choshu vs. Hashimoto from 1997 is my idea of how a big Tokyo Dome Main Event should be wrestled. In a way, it's the philosophical opposite of this year's epic Main Event, in that not so much happens but every single thing that happens is a real struggle and has meaning.

If we're not limiting ourselves to NJPW Tokyo Dome matches, then Aja Kong vs. Dynamite Kansai from Big Egg Wrestling Universe is a serious contender for my top spot.

My top 5:

1. Hashimoto/Iizuka vs. Ogawa & Murakami : Ratings are ratings and Big Dave is one man but it just feels so weird to me to see a match this heated and perfect at conveying the invading faction storyline only get **** at the time.

2. Kobashi vs. Akiyama : Was my #2 match of 2004 in Japan doing Ditch's list six years ago (time flies).

3. Nakamura vs. Ibushi: My first live WK and the most emotional I have been watching WK live.

4. Tanahashi vs. Naito 2017: Recency bias but I did think the match was super

5. Tanhashi vs. Okada 2016: Excessive???? Sure, but this was a capper to an iconic feud so I can excuse a lot of that. I also had not really liked their previous Dome output very much (especially 2013) so this was a great bounce back for them in my eyes.

Choshu vs. Hashimoto from 1997 is my idea of how a big Tokyo Dome Main Event should be wrestled. In a way, it's the philosophical opposite of this year's epic Main Event, in that not so much happens but every single thing that happens is a real struggle and has meaning.

My issue with that match is that it's pretty much the least of the Hashimoto-Choshu matches. It's either that one or their Z-1 match. Both are good but disappointing for the insane standards of their all time rivalry. It's funny, going through the Hashimoto-Choshu matches that one seemed kinda formulaic, it was kinda depressing seeing the same spots they've done before done not as good, it seemed like the magic was gone, then they had that badass brawl in 2001 that was up there with all of their great stuff.

My top 5:

1. Hashimoto/Iizuka vs. Ogawa & Murakami : Ratings are ratings and Big Dave is one man but it just feels so weird to me to see a match this heated and perfect at conveying the invading faction storyline only get **** at the time.

This is my personal favorite as well. I was lucky enough to be at the Tokyo Dome to see this match live and I can tell you the crowd heat was insane. It felt like they were on the verge of rioting.

Ibushi vs Nakamura by a lot. That's the greatest match of the past probably 25 years.

Agreed, this blows away:

5/92 Wargames

11/26 Toyota/Yamada vs Kansai/Ozaki

7/29/93 Hansen vs Kobashi

6/3/94 Misawa vs Kawada

10/26/97 Rey Jr vs Eddy Guerrero

and those are only five matches it blows away

Maybe not my favorite, but the two Kobashi matches (vs. Akiyama, vs. Sasaki) should be in the running. I don't think I like either of those more than the last two Okada vs. Tanahashi matches, Nakamura vs. Ibushi, or Okada vs. Omega, but they should be in the discussion.

Definitely should. I love the Akiyama match in particular. I've always favoured the All Japan / NOAH styles over New Japan though.

My issue with that match is that it's pretty much the least of the Hashimoto-Choshu matches. It's either that one or their Z-1 match. Both are good but disappointing for the insane standards of their all time rivalry. It's funny, going through the Hashimoto-Choshu matches that one seemed kinda formulaic, it was kinda depressing seeing the same spots they've done before done not as good, it seemed like the magic was gone, then they had that badass brawl in 2001 that was up there with all of their great stuff.

I think that saying "the magic was gone" is wildly overstating things, but I do agree that this is not the best Choshu vs. Hash match of all time. It is, however, still my favourite epic NJPW Dome match and a great example of the kind of big epic battle that I enjoy.

It's a matter of personal taste, of course, but in my book a lesser Choshu vs. Hash match is still more enjoyable and more suited to what I want from a big card main event than, say, the best-ever Tanahashi vs. Okada match or even the best-ever Shinsuke vs. Ibushi match.

I like "everything is a real struggle" and I like "doing more with less" and I really like "taking your time with the basics and letting the crowd come to you" and I think this match is great in all of those categories. I'm kind of surprised I'm the only one who has picked it, to be honest.

I think that saying "the magic was gone" is wildly overstating things, but I do agree that this is not the best Choshu vs. Hash match of all time. It is, however, still my favourite epic NJPW Dome match and a great example of the kind of big epic battle that I enjoy.

It's a matter of personal taste, of course, but in my book a lesser Choshu vs. Hash match is still more enjoyable and more suited to what I want from a big card main event than, say, the best-ever Tanahashi vs. Okada match or even the best-ever Shinsuke vs. Ibushi match.

I like "everything is a real struggle" and I like "doing more with less" and I really like "taking your time with the basics and letting the crowd come to you" and I think this match is great in all of those categories. I'm kind of surprised I'm the only one who has picked it, to be honest.

Oh you're not gonna get much disagreement with me about it being better than most recently hyped big Dome matches but for best Dome match ever I'd say Hashimoto-Takada and Hashimoto-Ogawa from 10/11/99 display that minimalistic philosophy even better.

Ibushi vs Nakamura by a lot. That's the greatest match of the past probably 25 years.

Agreed, this blows away:

5/92 Wargames

11/26 Toyota/Yamada vs Kansai/Ozaki

7/29/93 Hansen vs Kobashi

6/3/94 Misawa vs Kawada

10/26/97 Rey Jr vs Eddy Guerrero

and those are only five matches it blows away

Agreed

In no particular order-

Misawa vs Kawada AJPW 25th Anniversary, probably the pinnacle of over the top late 90s AJPW excess

Misawa vs Vader Baba Memorial

Vader vs Inoki

Hashimoto vs Takada

Hashimoto and Iizuka vs Ogawa and Murakami

Hashimoto vs Ogawa 1/4/99, 10/11/99, and 4/7/00. I think of these as the ultimate less is more type matches, such a hot crowd. Unfortunately the feud almost killed the territory.

Kobashi vs Akiyama

Kobashi vs Sasaki

Nakamura vs Sakuraba

Nakamura vs Ibushi

Oh you're not gonna get much disagreement with me about it being better than most recently hyped big Dome matches but for best Dome match ever I'd say Hashimoto-Takada and Hashimoto-Ogawa from 10/11/99 display that minimalistic philosophy even better.

I'd add Hashimoto vs.Ogawa 4/7/2000 to the list of truly great Hashimoto Dome matches. In fact I think it's the best match of the Hashimoto-Ogawa feud. The booking wasn't exactly wise but the match built off 10/99 and the rest of the matches perfectly and delivered on every other level.

In no particular order-

Misawa vs Kawada AJPW 25th Anniversary, probably the pinnacle of over the top late 90s AJPW excess

Misawa vs Vader Baba Memorial

Vader vs Inoki

Hashimoto vs Takada

Hashimoto and Iizuka vs Ogawa and Murakami

Hashimoto vs Ogawa 1/4/99, 10/11/99, and 4/7/00. I think of these as the ultimate less is more type matches, such a hot crowd. Unfortunately the feud almost killed the territory.

Kobashi vs Akiyama

Kobashi vs Sasaki

Nakamura vs Sakuraba

Nakamura vs Ibushi

I'm glad you brought up that Misawa vs. Kawada match. I thought it about putting it on my initial list. Although it's far from being their best match (and I like it more than most), there's something romantic about seeing them end their saga in the Dome.