Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-01-30-ARSION] Aja Kong vs Candy Okutsu

soup23

Candy always fascinates me a bit as a worker because she was in there with the new crop of AJW talent during the tail end of the heyday and then retired. Then she pops back up in ARSION for a little while and retires for good. Kong has had a rough month with the GAEA stuff so I was happy to see her in a more compelling singles match here. More clipping which I will continue to rail against. I guess with the tv format of the territories I can accept clipping even though it can be a nuisance. At this point in Japan, units like FMW were doing their DirectTV PPV’s and other groups like even Toryumon were giving us full matches monthly on their digest edition. It feels weak that these little snippets is all we have of ARSION in January 2000. Candy has more of an advantage than I would have expected in the clips of this one and it in some ways is reminiscent of the Ikeda vs. Nagai match that also happened on this day. Due to the clipping and transitions, it is impossible to judge which match did it better. The clips we get to see here are well done. I liked the powerbomb that Candy is able to muster up and she does a good job of selling the exhaustion that took. Aja pounces on this weakness with her patented back palm strike. Aja runs through her signature moves of back suplexes and finishes the match off with a brutal back fist. Nice bounce back for Aja and I look forward to a long, unclipped singles match from her.

Some good stuff here, but again, because of the clipping, hard to say much about it. If we were going to just get 8 minutes, I wish we could have just had the last 8 minutes unedited, because that would at least be a stretch of the match we could see instead of just repeated highlights.

• 1 month later...

I don't mind the clipping as much cause what's shown is all action with little downtime. This was a really fun match with a nice story. Candy tried everything to beat Aja including biting her on the ass to do a powerbomb. I liked how she climbed the ropes like she was gran metalik or something to stop Aja from doing a splash. Those backfists by Aja are just brutal. The best ARISON match i've seen so far. So was Aja a freelancer around this time to work almost all the josh groups?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey look, it's Candy! Haven't seen her in a while. She looked skinnier than before. This was also clipped, but seemed somewhat complete. Another forgettable match where Candy dominated a lot then falls to the usual Aja trademarks. Okay but really nothing to write home about. Candy sold about that she was exerting herself to throw Aja around which was a nice touch, but her dominating so much of the match was kind of stupid.

• 5 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-01-30-ARSION] Aja Kong vs Candy Okutsu