Photo

Has wrestling gone overboard with the various streaming services?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:48 AM

So I just reshuffled my subscriptions a bit. 

I was doing wXw now for the past few months, but mostly so I could go back and get at some hyped stuff that I hadn't seen yet.  I got to most of that so I nixed it today.  In turn, I finally subscribed to Powerbomb and Highspots. I probably should have done both a while ago. I sort of have Progress and WWE as my constants right now. Progress gives me enough between chapters, specials, and other promotions that I find it worth it.  WWE is WWE... I'm going to keep it. 

I still imagine that eventually WWE will take in a hand full of indy promotions and in-turn up the price of their service.

Ultimately, I think it will come down to maybe 5 conglomerates (we are starting to see this more and more) with the WWE Network getting in on that game. I'd like it to get down to 3-4 that would more or less give me everything I want. As it stands right now I am still going to be circulating some stuff. I would like to take some time to catch back up a bit on some of the high end NJPW stuff from the last year and to dig into Stardom (which I just haven't done because of time and money yet) in 2018. 

#42 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1665 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

Progress is one that I have thought about signing up for but haven’t done yet. WWE supposedly has some kind of agreements in place with Progress and OTT but nobody seems to have any idea what they entail other than that they exist.

#43 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5507 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

I plan on grabbing Highspots as soon as its avialable via Firestick or PS4.  Stardom is currently the only one I'm willing to support without big screen access.

#44 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

See I am sort of the opposite, just based on my watching habits.  I would much rather have the computer access bc i find myself watching in shorter pieces of time.  sorting out both will be important for all the streaming services going forward.

Progress is one that I have thought about signing up for but haven’t done yet. WWE supposedly has some kind of agreements in place with Progress and OTT but nobody seems to have any idea what they entail other than that they exist.

Yeah, it is really clear there is something. I'm assuming progress winds up on the network, even if it is a slow - somewhat trial run - transition. When they announced their big show for next year i immediately said their relationship with the E must be really strong. I can't see them jumping on something like that without a bit of a safety net behind them.

#45 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1665 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

I plan on grabbing Highspots as soon as its avialable via Firestick or PS4.  Stardom is currently the only one I'm willing to support without big screen access.

Ah, I do most of my watching on Roku with HighSpots and Powerbomb. I do use Firestick for NJPW but the app is pretty weak. The Firestick app is my favorite version of the WWE Network app after using it on both Roku and Apple TV, though. I did use the Firestick browser for Powerbomb before they improved the Roku app and it worked pretty well watching some Beyond shows.

#46 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6319 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

If you really want to get into indie streaming, you kind of need to get a Roku. It's the easiest platform to get a channel/app on and PivotShare is very Roku-centric, so...

#47 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1665 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

If you really want to get into indie streaming, you kind of need to get a Roku. It's the easiest platform to get a channel/app on and PivotShare is very Roku-centric, so...

Absolutely, and the Express is like $29 and works brilliantly. They are hands-down the leader in the market of streaming devices and I can’t see anyone catching them. Apple TV’s look slicker but still lack the channels, even on the new platform. The Amazon devices are generally always pretty much junk across the board from my experience, though like I said, I do have the Firestick solely for NJPW World. Have had four Rokus, two Apple TV’s, and the Firestick since 2011. Only reason I needed more Rokus was older models getting phased out and buying a house.

#48 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

Absolutely, and the Express is like $29 and works brilliantly. They are hands-down the leader in the market of streaming devices and I can’t see anyone catching them. Apple TV’s look slicker but still lack the channels, even on the new platform. The Amazon devices are generally always pretty much junk across the board from my experience, though like I said, I do have the Firestick solely for NJPW World. Have had four Rokus, two Apple TV’s, and the Firestick since 2011. Only reason I needed more Rokus was older models getting phased out and buying a house.

Do you have the first-gen model of the Fire Stick? How is it with NJPW World? I have a first-gen Fire Stick collecting dust.

#49 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1665 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

Absolutely, and the Express is like $29 and works brilliantly. They are hands-down the leader in the market of streaming devices and I cant see anyone catching them. Apple TVs look slicker but still lack the channels, even on the new platform. The Amazon devices are generally always pretty much junk across the board from my experience, though like I said, I do have the Firestick solely for NJPW World. Have had four Rokus, two Apple TVs, and the Firestick since 2011. Only reason I needed more Rokus was older models getting phased out and buying a house.

Do you have the first-gen model of the Fire Stick? How is it with NJPW World? I have a first-gen Fire Stick collecting dust.
I have the voice remote one. Target had them on sale on Black Friday so I got one for the hell of it.

In other news, a bunch of random old CZW shows from the Smart Mark library popped up on Powerbomb today. HighSpots has 243 of them, currently, and usually gets the brand new ones up very quickly.

#50 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6319 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:17 AM

Don't get a Roku Express if you can manage it. It's slow and laggy like the very early Roku boxes were. Spend the extra $20 (less if you get the 2016 model) and get the Roku Streaming Stick.

#51 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1665 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:46 AM

Don't get a Roku Express if you can manage it. It's slow and laggy like the very early Roku boxes were. Spend the extra $20 (less if you get the 2016 model) and get the Roku Streaming Stick.

I haven’t had any issues with mine so far, but obviously you’re not paying for a high-end piece of equipment for $29.99.

#52 topropepodcast

topropepodcast
  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:10 PM

So can anyone ELI5 the fucking Michael Elgin thing with Powerbomb?

I've heard companies are backing out, the owners are fighting... But it's all without context.

#53 Tim Evans

Tim Evans
  • Members
  • 4155 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:05 PM

From what I understand, iwa mid south booked Elgin for a powerbomb stream show. This pissed off co founder of powerbomb Adam lash who requested they not air that show. His partners disagreed and they let him go from powerbomb. Now people are angry and unsubscribing from powerbomb.

#54 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:48 PM

Oh, dammit. Now I gotta watch all the BTJr vids they have before the service is gone.

#55 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6319 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

From what I understand, iwa mid south booked Elgin for a powerbomb stream show. This pissed off co founder of powerbomb Adam lash who requested they not air that show. His partners disagreed and they let him go from powerbomb. Now people are angry and unsubscribing from powerbomb.

Also, I haven't seen it, but apparently, Ian Rotten put out a statement saying he specifically booked Elgin to spite the backlash.

#56 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1665 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

What the fuck. Fortunately there is no shortage of services to subscribe to.

#57 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5507 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:59 PM

Time will tell, but it doesn't seem prudent for a service that caters to such a niche audience to go out of its way to offend said audience.

#58 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

So, am I getting this right? People want Powerbomb.TV dead now? Boycotting them won't hurt Elgin, or IWA... it will hurt all the other companies, and our boy Black Terry Jr., who need exposure.

#59 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10980 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

Maybe Powerbomb should should cut ties with IWA if their owner is a dick who goes out of his way to be edgy to piss off the paying audience. 

I mean, Ian being a dick is part of the appeal for some folks I suppose, but it's not exactly good business. 

#60 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1367 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:28 PM

We want streaming services to refuse to air a show with a guy on it who has done nothing criminal and is just a dick? How many wrestling shows could be streamed if we really knew the lives of all the wrestlers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users