Pro Wrestling Only

Has wrestling gone overboard with the various streaming services?

rzombie1988

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even Rise has a streaming service for 5 bucks a month. You get all their shows plus the new weekly TV show. Jimmy Jacobs is booking.

First episode was pretty good. Squash match for a tag team. Solid contest to get the monster heel over. Great video/promo getting over the champion and main angle. Promos by the two people in the main event. Then Kimber Lee vs Shotzi Blackheart was pretty good. Lee being an awesome heel and Blackheart getting over as the feisty babyface. Plus Impact helped produce the show, so it looks good too.

I'll give them a month to see if I continue, but if it turns out the way they say (weekly shows, building to main shows with each match meaning something going forward) I may be sticking around,

• 1 month later...

Question about NJPW World:

How the hell does the billing work exactly?

○Subscription Period

Paypal, Credit Card payment options:
The subscription period shall end on the last day of the month of when payment was made (in Japan Standard Time), regardless of the day.
For example:
Payment date:
Dec. 1 → Subscription period ends Dec. 31 (Japan Standard Time)
Dec. 15 → Subscription period ends Dec. 31 (Japan Standard Time)
Dec. 31 → Subscription period ends Dec. 31 (Japan Standard Time)
Also, payment for the following months of service will automatically be made on the first day of the month.

It seems no matter when I try to sign up, I get charged the same amount. To use the December example above: Let's say I sign up Dec 29. and get charged $9.99 (or whatever the exchange rate is). Do I get charged another $9.99 on Dec. 31st?

1 hour ago, WingedEagle said:

Essentially.  They don't prorate, so for value purposes its best to sign up early in the month.  Of course, if you're signing up for the G1, it doesn't really matter when this month you sign up as everything you're really paying for gets busy mid-month.

That is the most ass-backward billing system ever. But I guess I could sign up today and get 99% of the value.

I was flipping through the app (I got a Fire TV Cube, so I finally have a way to watch NJPW World on TV) and was intrigued by all of the archive matches - Muta vs. Hogan, etc.

I have to confess I didn't even know the G1 was coming up. -_-

Edit: Fuck it - I signed up! If nothing else, I'll have fun watching old matches I've only heard about but have never seen (I was never into the tape trading scene for whatever reason - other than buying a Dustin Rhodes comp from a seller on DVDVR many years ago, before the WWE Network - probably someone from PWO, which - come to think of it - is probably how I found this site).

Enjoy!  I actually haven't dug too deeply into the archives as I've found searching for historical items difficult because of search results due to language issues and/or difficulty scrolling through the archives (you'll see what I mean as I'm sure its like the Firestick app).  But its fantastic for staying on top of the current product, and they put out a ton of shows every month even if its not G1 season, so its a pretty great value at roughly $9 per month.

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

That is the most ass-backward billing system ever. But I guess I could sign up today and get 99% of the value.

I was flipping through the app (I got a Fire TV Cube, so I finally have a way to watch NJPW World on TV) and was intrigued by all of the archive matches - Muta vs. Hogan, etc.

I have to confess I didn't even know the G1 was coming up. -_-

Edit: Fuck it - I signed up! If nothing else, I'll have fun watching old matches I've only heard about but have never seen (I was never into the tape trading scene for whatever reason - other than buying a Dustin Rhodes comp from a seller on DVDVR many years ago, before the WWE Network - probably someone from PWO, which - come to think of it - is probably how I found this site).

It's this way with all of the Japanese promotions as far as I have seen. I think the Progress billing is the same way.

Yep, it seems to be standard billing practice for all Japanese subscription services. You pay the day you sign up and then on the 1st of every month (though it'll actually be some time on the 31st if you're in the West.)

The other thing to watch out for is that if you cancel, your access shuts off immediately rather than running until the next payment date.

New Japan seems to do the first of the month and Stardom the last day of the month. Stardom emails me when they charge me though, New Japan doesn't. 

But yeah, I've been wanting to sign up for DDT and I haven't for 3 months now because I think of it halfway through the month. I should go sign up while I'm thinking about it. 

Hearing JR have to put over Daryl Jr's excursion was worth it's weight in gold...

As for the topic at hand, what gets me in trouble is that I just let my subscription automatically renew and forget to cancel, even if I am not getting as much out of the subscription as I could due to real life getting in the way.

12 hours ago, Ricky Jackson said:

It's not on New Japan World in the States because it aired live on AXS. I assume it will be available later on but no idea how soon 

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

I believe it is up now with the Japanese commentary.   As far as the US commentary version, I don't know.  If you have want to deal with 2018 Jim Ross

It was up a few minutes after Ricky's post...or at least that's when I checked.

Because it was so late, I couldn't watch the whole show, so I cherry-picked three matches. I'll post about them in the NJPW thread and ask if I missed anything awesome.

J.R. in 2018 isn't awesome in this setting, and it didn't help that the crowd noise and everything else kinda drowned out their commentary a bit, making it hard to hear (or is it just me?).

Edit: My thoughts here...