Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-05-WCW-Saturday Night] Steven Regal vs Fidel Sierra

soup23

Time for the Regal WCWSN showcase as he draws Fidel Sierra who they dug up from who knows where. Regal does his trademark offense but Sierra isn’t game to bring a whole lot to the table here though I guess his punches look good enough. Regal responds with elbow and knee strikes. I was surprised they gave Sierra the flying lariat as a hope spot here at the end but Regal is able to win with the chicken wing neckbreaker. *1/2

WCW found the Cuban Assassin, which is both hilarious and awesome. I thought this had its moments. Regal is always a good barometer to see what guys are capable of doing as actual wrestlers, so his matches are always worth checking out for that reason. Plus, it's the freakin' Cuban Assassin in 2000.

• 3 weeks later...

The commentary team talks about the situation with Hogan and Luger, then makes very lame jokes about Mean Gene and the Nitro Girls, then about half way in they call one hold but immediately switch to making lame jokes about 3-Count. Finally, with a minute left in the match they start calling the action. They never mention that Sierra is The Cuban Assassin or give us any info about this match at all other than the one brief mention of what is going on in the middle of the match, and then that blessed minute at the end. No wonder this company went down the toilet. Always nice to see Regal in action, though.

The commentary team talks about the situation with Hogan and Luger, then makes very lame jokes about Mean Gene and the Nitro Girls, then about half way in they call one hold but immediately switch to making lame jokes about 3-Count. Finally, with a minute left in the match they start calling the action. They never mention that Sierra is The Cuban Assassin or give us any info about this match at all other than the one brief mention of what is going on in the middle of the match, and then that blessed minute at the end. No wonder this company went down the toilet. Always nice to see Regal in action, though.

It's almost like you've never seen an episode of WCW Saturday Night after the Nitro era began. That was pretty standard commentary for those shows, although it was always more fun with it was Tony & Dusty doing it than anyone else.

I had a tiny glimmer of hope for this match because I feel like these two could have had a pretty nifty match together even in 2000 but this wasn't it. I was surprised at how loose some of Regal's strikes looked here but that chicken wing neckbreaker was pretty cool.

It's almost like you've never seen an episode of WCW Saturday Night after the Nitro era began. That was pretty standard commentary for those shows, although it was always more fun with it was Tony & Dusty doing it than anyone else

Yeah, I was living and working in post-communist Central Europe for most of the early 2000s, so I really haven't seen much of this stuff before. If this was the standard of that time... yikes... Hats off to Loss and Soup for presumably sitting through hours of this in order to pull out the occasional interesting tidbit for us to watch and discuss.

Regal's knee strikes didn't look so stiff here but his elbow to the bridge of the nose was awesome. Plus he did a great job putting over Fidel's weakass arm wringers. Always love Regal draping his leg over the opponent's windpipe while chatting with the referee and it went on for awhile here as Sierra basically sells that he is dead. This was uninspired but perfectly fine as baseline Regal is still worth watching.

• 2 weeks later...

No Squire Taylor with Regal this week. I don’t think anyone sells an arm wringer better than Regal; compare his face to Sierra’s when they’re both on the receiving end of one during the match. Sierra doesn’t even acknowledge the hold. Japanese stranglehold from Regal which Sierra powers out of and reverses in an old favourite World of Sport spot. I also really liked when Regal was arguing with referee Billy Silverman, but was driving his shin into Sierra’s throat as he was doing so behind Silverman’s back. Not the finest knee strikes from his Lordship as you can clearly see him pulling them. Sierra starts to fight back but Regal quickly puts a halt to that, putting him away with the chicken wing into a Hangman’s noose. Worth watching for Regal but that’s it.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-02-05-WCW-Saturday Night] Steven Regal vs Fidel Sierra