Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-10-WWF-Smackdown] The Rock & Cactus Jack vs New Age Outlaws

soup23

The Rock is just on another level of over right now. Match was fun as hell as the NAO may feel played as characters but I do think they saw the writing on the wall and amped the effort level in the ring a bit. Gunn seems to be pinballing around more and Road Dogg is doing things like his cocky shimmy punches with a bit more purpose. Match never loses steam and Cactus and Rock pick up the win. A really fun tv match here. ***

I agree that the NAO seemed to have turned the volume up. I think the Radicalz had that immediate effect, specifically the red hot 10-man tag. Aside from their babyface intro that I will always complain about, they did put in more effort here. I liked the finish a lot with Cactus hitting Road Dogg with the pipe, then pulling him up and piledriving him (I love the Funk-Foley version of the piledriver) for the win. Rock is ungodly over, but took a lesser role in this match since Foley is headlining the next show. Lots to love here. ***

• 4 months later...

Quick promo from Cactus as he says that they’re just 17 days away from the biggest night of his career at No Way Out, and while tonight it might not be ‘Hell in the Cell’, it will be hell to pay in Austin, TX! A ludicrously loud pop for The Rock when he makes his entrance and there’s no messing around here as the four of them get it on straight away. Cactus beats Road Dogg down in the corner and Gunn tries to help his partner but Cactus gets in there first. Rock takes it to Mr Ass until he reverses a whip to the corner and hits a running bulldog. The Outlaws ascendancy doesn’t last for long and a Samoan drop on Dogg for two. When Gunn kicks Rock in the back from a reversed Irish whip, Rock responds with a right that sends Mr Ass flying from the apron to the arena floor, however the distraction allows Road Dogg to nail him with a boot to the face. Road Dogg with a series of jabs, he shouldn’t have had a little dance though, as Rock blocks a right and fires back with some of his own. DDT, Gunn is in to break up the pin, but Rock moves and he lands an elbow drop on his own partner. He tosses Mr Ass over the top rope to the floor, ‘Rock Botton’ on Road Dogg and Gunn pulls the official out the ring at two to stop the count. Cactus heads around the ring to get at Gunn and Earl does his best to try and regain some order, ushering Cactus back to his corner. With the official otherwise engaged though, Mr Ass picks up one of their tag belts and nails Rock with it. Great near fall as Rock kicks out at the last moment and the Outlaws can’t believe it. Double clothesline and both men are down. Rock with the tag to Cactus and he’s running roughshot over the Outlaws. The match breaks down with everyone fighting on the arena floor and Rock drops Mr Ass throat first across the barricades. Cactus pulls out a pipe from under the ring and clocks Road Dogg with it. He covers him but pulls him up at the count of two, not yet finished dishing out the punishment. Piledriver and this time he lets the referee complete the count as he and the Rock come out on top.

Real good TV match here with an electric crowd. Billy Gunn in particular was flying and bumping all over the place for Rock’s offense. I liked the continuation from Monday’s ten man, with Cactus using a pipe on the Road Dogg after the Outlaws had attacked him and his partners with pipes at the end of that match. Cactus lifting up his opponent to dish out punishment was also a nice touch in the lead up to the ‘Hell in the Cell’ match, with Jerry Lawler picking up on it and calling Cactus ‘sick’ and worrying for Triple H who has got to go in the cell with him.

• 6 months later...

Fun match thanks to the crowd and the Outlaws doing a great Bill Dundee/Buddy Landell impersonation in making the babyfaces look good. Rock of course is over like hell but doesn't do a lot in this. He doesn't have to because this is all about Cactus preparing for the end of his career. It's matches like this that you notice how awesome a tag worker Billy Gunn is. He doesn't get credit for that. Only thing about this match that made me sad is seeing Cactus try to walk around the ring with his bad knees.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-10-WWF-Smackdown] The Rock & Cactus Jack vs New Age Outlaws