Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-11-AJW] Manami Toyota & Dynamite Kansai & Kaoru Ito vs Ran Yu Yu & Carlos Amano & Miho Wakizawa

soup23

Beginning is good with the young crew really going after the vets. They even give a cocky pose of all three of them posing. Ito and Toyota take over control and do a pose of their own! Awesome. Toyota is being a prick and raking the noise and mockingly clapping before stretching Wakizawa out. Ito continues the carnage and Kansai is excellent on the outside kicking away an attempt at a rope break. The vets really dominate the first portion of this match until we get a nice spark of offense from the underwings. We get some back and forth before heading into the final third of the match. Things break down predictably and we get good bursts of action and some dive sequences. Ito ends up putting things away for the vets. Fun match with an easy to read dynamic that played out on screen. ***1/2

I thought this was really good, bordering on great. Probably a bit long for what they were going for, which was on the light side, but still, good action, easy to follow with a self-explanatory storyline and some cool detail work from everyone. I thought pretty much everyone did something really cool to impress me in some way or another, and I always enjoy a good vet vs youngster dynamic. Of course, as we know age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time, and that was certainly true here. Toyota has looked awesome in 2000 every time I've seen her thus far, and I've quickly become a fan of Ran Yu Yu. Carlos Amano I'd like to see more of as well. This reminded me of the Misawa-Jumbo 6-mans of the early 90s and AJW doing a version of that series would have represented a very cool new direction for a while, but it wasn't to be. I could see some matches being better than others, but I feel like there's a classic buried somewhere in all of this. The post-match angle between Kansai and Hotta suggests they'll have a match soon, and that would have excited me in 1993, but it feels awfully passe in 2000. ***3/4

• 5 weeks later...

Fun match. Toyota stood out when she was offense. Everything she hits looks great and she has tons of variety. The vet vs young style six man tag is a favorite match style of mine.

From the first set of matches it seems that AJW is having a problem with their matches being bloated. There is plenty of good stuff it is just buried in each match. I totally agree with the thought that there could be a classic buried in this stuff.

This turned into a good match once they settled into one on one exchanges. I was less than thrilled with the beginning, but the second half was a standard Joshi match and easy to relate to. It was as plain as the nose on your face that the veterans would win so my main takeaways were that Toyota continued to look good in 2000, Kansai was nowhere near as bad as I expected, and the constant swearing and insults in Joshi matches can get annoying after a while. I'd love to know when that started. Hotta insulted the top JWP brass after the match, along with everyone else, but it was pretty tame after watching the McMahon-Helmsley Era.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-11-AJW] Manami Toyota & Dynamite Kansai & Kaoru Ito vs Ran Yu Yu & Carlos Amano & Miho Wakizawa