Pro Wrestling Only

Best Chain/Strap/Bullrope Gimmick Match Ever?

Jetlag

Best Chain/Strap/Bullrope type gimmick match ever?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best Chain/Strap/Bullrope type gimmick match ever?

• Greg Valentine vs. Roddy Piper, 11/24/83
    • Vader vs. Sting, 2/21/93
    • La Fiera vs. Jerry Estrada, 1991?
    • Carlos Colon vs. Stan Hansen, 1/10
    • Shinobu Kandori vs. Bull Nakano, 7/14/1994
    • Franz van Buyten vs. Dave Taylor, 10/5/1986
    • Isami Kodaka vs. Yuko Miyamoto, 3/19/2010
    • Raven/Stevie Richards vs. Pitbulls, 9/16/1995
    • Other (please name)

The Chain/Strap/Bullrope match (basically anything where it's two tough dudes tied together to beat the shit out of eachother) is really interesting because it may be the most universal gimmick match ever. They've had them everywhere: in the US, Mexico, Europe, Puerto Rico, japanese girl feds, etc... and a number of legendary workers, from Wahoo McDaniel to Fit Finlay to John Cena have been in them. And looking at the list of contenders, there's quite a few all-time great matches there:

Greg Valentine vs. Roddy Piper, 11/24/83

- one of the ultimate gruesome wrestling bloodbaths. I remember thinking this is a top 10-20 match ever the last time I watched it. May be a little too simplistic for some however.

Vader vs. Sting, 2/21/93

- may be my favourite WCW match. Another incredibly violent bout, with an all time babyface vs. heel peformance. Also may have the best power spot I've ever seen when Sting carries Vader which just turns me into an excited 10 year old anytime I watch it.

La Fiera vs. Jerry Estrada, 1991?#

- this is like two gangsters battling it out to prove something to their gang. Really awesome gritty, seedy brawl, only with a lousy finish.

Carlos Colon vs. Stan Hansen, 1/10

- remember this being really sensational when I saw it, have to rewatch. The best from the awsome Colon/Hansen feud which speaks for the strength of the gimmick

Shinobu Kandori vs. Bull Nakano, 7/14/1994

- I don't love this, but a lot of people are really into it and it's still two of the baddest ladies ever tearing into eachother.

Franz van Buyten vs. Dave Taylor, 10/5/1986

- I dunno, for me this is like the Misawa/Kawada of european wrestling. The confusing clipping and lack of a great finish probably puts it out of GOAT contendership, but the work here is unbelievable.

Isami Kodaka vs. Yuko Miyamoto, 3/19/2010

- this is one of those more hyperactive deathmatches, but the Strap gimmick makes it focussed and they do some innovativ stuff with it. One for the more modern type wrestling fans

Raven/Stevie Richards vs. Pitbulls, 9/16/1995

- haven't seen this and can't imagine liking it, but I've heard a few people really loving this.

Other (please name)

- Missing anything? Drop in your recs.

Went Colon/Hansen. Piper/Valentine and Sting/Vader are all-timers as well, but I'd been holding off on watching Colon/Hansen for about three years until the Puerto Rico set dropped, and I'd built it up so much in my head that there was almost no way it was going to live up to the hype. Except it did and it was pretty much everything I hoped it'd be.

I thought the Eddie/JBL bullrope match from the Great American Bash '04 was really, really good the last time I watched it. Not necessarily up there with the best of the best, but I'd put it in the next tier down. There was a Sawyer/Reed dog collar match on the Mid-South set that I loved as well.

Piper/Valentine for me easily. I was a fan of both guys from the WWF but never saw that match until the early 90's......was blown away by it......and it still holds up

Vader/Sting strap match is awesome too, and I wouldn't blame anyone for picking Eddie/JBL which was a sick bloodbath

Ivan Koloff had lots of fun Russian Chain Matches but they all kinda blend together with me

Austin and Savio had a fun strap match in 96

I'm sure I'm forgetting more

• 3 weeks later...

I used to think I hated this gimmick, and maybe I do, but when I look at my notes I love a lot of these matches.

To me it is Hansen/Colon by a country mile. That match is absolutely bonkers good. I love it.

Number 2 to me is Bull vs Kandori. I love that match and think it is every bit as violent as just about any proper brawl I have ever seen. It is also deceptively smart and nuanced.

Piper/Valentine will take three for me followed very closely by Sting/Vader. Those are both matches i need to rewatch. My tastes have sort of changed since I took a look at those matches. Maybe I will put that on the docket for this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...