Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-12-TWA-Total Impact TV] American Dragon & Spanky vs 'Love Machine' Chaz Taylor & Buster Time

soup23

I sort of love the short promos before the TWA matches. It gives the young guys a chance to spit out a promo without being expected to do too much. Buster Time continues to be pretty awesome and authentic. The irony isn’t lost on me with an HBK ran promotion having a tv show called Total Impact. Dragon and Spanky try stereo dives but miss. We have gotten a couple of minor whoas by HBK but nothing major so far. Dragon still has some miscommunication spots that happens when he gets atomic dropped by Chaz. This was mainly used as advancement for Spanky and Am Drag as they pick up the win easier than I would have guessed. **

Yeah, those pre-match promos are almost a 2000 indy version of the SNME opening. I love it too. Spanky doing his normal dancing to "Born in the U.S.A." is pretty funny. This starts off as not a good match at all, with Danielson having an off night and Spanky trying to fix it. Dragon rebounds well and looks good when the match gets going, but wow does he have a rough start, to the point the announcer says, "Is this match going to break down already?" After that, it's pretty good, with Dragon as FIP and Buster Time as an awesome powerhouse just decimating him. The size difference makes that work really well. Dragon and Spanky get a nice win and earn a tag title match against the Board of Education.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of awkward spots in this one. Spanky continues to look the best out of all the TWA guys as Dragon has a few rough spots in this one. Love Machine looks terrible here as he has a few botches throughout with both Spanky and Dragon. The portion where Dragon plays FIP for Buster isn't that bad, but overall this is very rough around the edges.

*3/4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Customary short pre-match interviews with Spanky referring to his and Dragon’s team as American Force 2000 (nice!), while Buster continues to be intense. Bad start from Dragon as he and Buster mess up an Irish whip spot, followed by a sit-out chokeslam that doesn’t look the smoothest. Not sure if he shook himself up on the landing but he tags out to Spanky. For some reason Spanky wants a test of strength with the big buy which results in him being sent flying backwards as he comes out on the wrong end of it. Buster goes to pick him back up off the canvas, but Dragon with a sunset flip off the top for a two. Spanky with a crucifix takedown on Love Machine, they then mistime a Bulldog while Dragon with a huracanrana off the top on Time. He and Spanky head to opposite turnbuckles and both miss frog splashes as their opponents move out the way. Buster and Chaz throw them to the floor and then have a chat in the middle of the ring instead of going out after them. Stereo missile dropkicks off the top from Spanky and Dragon, double flapjack and a double snap suplex on Time. Dragon with a big boot that looks like it misses and Buster starts to fire back. Dragon climbs to the top turnbuckle, but Chaz is in to shake the ropes and he crotches himself. Time tags out and an odd looking atomic drop between Dragon and Machine. Chaz goads Spanky causing a distraction with the referee that allows them to double team on Dragon. Buster throws him to the outside and this time it’s his turn to distract the official as Chaz chokes him on the floor. Spanky comes around to try and help, however he’s met with a clothesline and then gets launched into the guard rail. Dragon with a crucifix into a sunset flip but Time grabs him by the throat, lifts him all the way up and slams him down. Dragon with a series of forearms and he’s able to make the tag. A forearm to Chaz sends him tumbling out of the ring and Dragon starts kicking the knee of Time. Spanky with a dragon screw and a pair of frog splashes (with Danielson’s about ¾ the way across the ring) for the win which means they’re now the number one contenders for the Board of Education’s tag titles.

A very scrappy, disjointed match that was actually pretty bad. The worst I’ve seen from Dragon who was off on a number of occasion, whilst at times Spanky resembled a backyarder (check out his dropkicks). TWA had an incredibly strong January, but February has been a disappointment with the two matches we’ve seen both being bad (I’ve already watched Spanky/Steele). I’m looking forward to seeing how things pan out in March, as with Spanky and Dragon having already signed their WWF contracts, I don’t think they’re long for Texas.

• 8 months later...

This was possibly the worse TWA match weve seen this far. Dragon and Spanky were off entirely.

Buster Time was a former NFL linebacker? I had no idea... He looked the best and even then he wasnt that good. He hit a mean looking backhand slap at Dragon and did a little dance that popped the crowd.

Chaz did nothing for me here either.

Forgettable match.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-12-TWA-Total Impact TV] American Dragon & Spanky vs 'Love Machine' Chaz Taylor & Buster Time