Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-14-WCW-Nitro] Sid vs Jeff Jarrett

soup23

Sid gets a real strong reaction coming out and he looks cool as hell. Maybe I am turning into a SID mark in 2000 as he has been really trying still. Jarrett too does well here taking a bump over the table and eating a drink from the crowd. Madden continues to drive me up the fucking wall with his commentary. Some weak offense by Jeff on top mainly consisting of a sleeper. Sloppy Sid makes an appearance with a boot that misses by a mile. Shoddy finish with Mickey Jay getting hit and Jeff using the belt for a nearfall. Jarrett then gives Jay the Stroke. Sid reverses the Stroke into a crossface. Harris Brothers come in and the ground chants for Goldberg. This had some promise in the beginning but really fell apart becoming the overbooked shit at the end. *3/4

This is a crowd that completely checked out after Flair-Hogan. I have to hand it to Sid -- he was working hard in this run. Jarrett is so much more tolerable when he's just working matches because he's really good in the ring. It's the promos and persona and guitar smashing I can't stand. This wasn't bad, and Jarrett did a good job leading this. Nothing special, but pretty decent.

• 1 month later...

This is for Jarrett’s US title as opposed to Sid’s Heavyweight belt. I must say this every match, but Sid’s punches are the worst. You would’ve thought afte over a decade in the business he’d have learned how to throw a good looking one by now! Clothesline over the top to the floor and he drops Jeff throat first onto the guard rail. Irish whip into the announcing desk which Jeff goes flying over and a soft chair shot to the back. Jarrett blocks the chokeslam with a low blow and finally gets a chance to unload on him. Sleeper and Sid is able to escape before his hand drops for the third time. Jeff with an axe handle, but he’s met with that cool looking low blow that Sid uses at Superbrawl. Big boot that misses by a mile which Jeff bumps for anyway. Chokeslam, powerbomb attempt but Jarrett catches referee Mickey Jay in the process. He backdrops Sid then nails him with his US title belt. Sid kicks out at the last millisecond to nowhere near the reaction Hogan and Flair would’ve got if it had been in their match. Jarrett argues the count with Mickey Jay and ends up giving him ‘the Stroke’. Sid reverses a ‘stroke’ on him into a loosely applied crossface and Jeff taps but no referee. The Harris brothers are out to make the save and it’s now 3 on 1. Jarrett clocks Sid over the head with his guitar and Mark Johnson rushes out to count the three then celebrate with Jeff and the twins.

The crowd was pretty dead for this after how hot they were for Flair vs Hogan. It’s amazing how someone as intimidating looking as Sid can have such weak ass looking offense (not only in his punches but that crossface too). Give him his due, he bumped better than I expected he would for Jarrett, who bumped well in return. It would appear that ref bumps are not solely confined to OVW!

• 9 months later...

Not much to say about this other than The Harris Brothers' continued employment during this time period remains baffling. If they wanted a twin tag team to act as big meatheads, they could have got Power Company or whatever they were called from Saturday Night. They had about 3/4 better spots than The Harris Brothers have ever conceived.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-14-WCW-Nitro] Sid vs Jeff Jarrett