Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-20-Osaka Pro] Super Delphin & Yoshito Sugamoto & Tsubasa vs Dick Togo & Black Buffalo & Policeman

soup23

This match looks like it is taking place in the old Memphis studio from the 70’s. I still want to know what precinct policeman works at. Much like the minis match from AAA, this was a showcase for these guys. Some of the strikes look looser than normal and the blatant use of the briefcase from Policeman is grating. Other stuff looked good including a Delphin powerbomb. Tsubusa gets a flash pin off of a German. **1/4

There was a lot to like here. There was some clipping so it was hard to get a feel for the match overall, but we got a good look at some of the Osaka Pro guys. Maybe unsurprisingly, the biggest standouts were Togo and Delphin, although I also really liked Black Buffalo. I sort of liked the briefcase spot at the end myself, just because it was so unexpected when it hit whoever was coming into the ring at the time. This was a bit more uneven than a Michinoku Pro or Toryumon match worked in the same style, but I do still think there's plenty to appreciate.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no problem saying that in my opinion Black Buffalo is a *Great* Pro Wrestler. I went to so very many Osaka Pro shows from the time I moved here in 2009 until things fell apart for the promotion in 2014. Black Buffalo just flat out brought the goods every time. He works great in all kinds of roles, from house afire face through chickenshit heel, and in all kinds of styles from comedy through hardcore brawling.. He's a guy who you could show s an example to someone who isn't sure what you mean when you say "He really does all the basic stuff so well." This particular match isn't exactly the ideal showcase of his abilities, but I am really hoping that an increased or renewed appreciation of Black Buffalo might be one of the things that comes out of this project. Asian Cooger and Tigers Mask, too... but if I had to choose I think I'd say that Black Buffalo was the best worker in Osaka Pro in the time I was watching them regularly, and among the very best I have seen in my 8 years in Japan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This was a pretty standard Osaka Pro multi man match. Opposite 90s Michinoku Pro and early Toryumon, the Osaka Pro guys never reached that level.

The best out of the Osaka Pro guys were Black Buffalo whs featured here and Big Boss MA-G-MA who then went on to be Magnitude Kishiwada in Dragon Gate. Theres also Billy Ken Kid and Tigers Mask who come along later, but arent as good as the aforementioned two guys.

I like Super Delfin a lot, but hes never striked me as a great single guy. His selling is usually questionable and he spams a lot of DDTs in big singles matches.

Togo is always fantastic in any setting and against any set of guys. This was no different.

Tsubasa iirc was later repackeged as Garuda in FMW as they tried to build him up as the new Hayabusa which of course failed miserably. He looked pretty decent here.

Im not too familiar with Sugamoto or Policeman, but I thought neither looked to shabby here.

The match itself never reaches that next level despite them trying their best. The crowd just never seems to get into it either. That Policeman briefcase spot at the end was awesome. I liked how they kept it simple and didnt go overboard with the big moves and 2.99999 kickouts.

Overall this is perfectly fine.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-02-20-Osaka Pro] Super Delphin & Yoshito Sugamoto & Tsubasa vs Dick Togo & Black Buffalo & Policeman