Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-08-06-NOAH-Departure II] Kenta Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama

Loss

Jun Akiyama vs Kenta Kobahi - NOAH #2 8/06/00

Now that they positioned Akiyama as a force to be reckoned with it was time to consolidate that and they went a long way towards doing that by having Akiyama choke out Kobashi to win NOAH's first single main event. My biggest issue with this is that it was not wrestled that much in the vein of blood feud, but more along the lines of an All Japan epic and I think if NOAH really wanted to depart from the past then have an out of control brawl could have cemented that image. No matter this is still a very good match just a bit disconnected from the storyline set up the night before. It actually began as I wanted with a heated exchange and Akiyama powdering, but once he got back in everything became tentative they went into the test of strength and sort of slowed it down. The first big highspot is Kobashi hitting a powerbomb on Akiyama to the outside. Akiyama really milks for everything it is worth. That separates the great wrestlers from the chumps because plenty would be right back up hitting moves and taking bumps. Kobashi is now doing ab stretches and a full nelson. I don't have anything against that, but I think storyline necessitates a more violent layout. Akiyama hits a pair of basement dropkicks on the bandaged knee to take control and Kobashi selling of these dropkicks is so damn good. "Ko-Bash-i" chants ring out as Akiyama has him in the scorpion deathlock. Akiyama is relentless on the knee very similar to his hyper-focus in the Misawa match. Akiyama goes for an Exploder and a great struggle before Kobashi snaps off a suplex then his own sleeper suplex. Kobashi is still selling his knee as he tries string together some offense: powerbomb and half-nelson suplex. However, it seems like the injuries have sapped too much of his strength and energy as Akiyama hits FIVE exploders and chokes him out to win. After the match, the young boys are tending to Kobashi and one is giving him CPR so Akiyama to be a prick gets into a scuffle and there is even a hip swivel on the ramp.

Watching this match, I thought I came in with the wrong expectations. It was a dick move to drop Kobashi on his head the previous night, but maybe it was supposed to be more symbolic then start of Akiyama, the super heel. Then the finish and post-match happened where Akiyama chokes him out, attacks those helping Kobashi and is a cocky prick on the ramp. I think antics are truly emblematic of what is trying to be achieved. It is just that the All Japan guys are so rooted in their ways they only know that way to wrestler a match. It is a very good match, but falls short of being on the level of other All Japan epics, but that's why they have rematches, folks. ****

• 2 weeks later...

This is worked "small", which makes sense considering that it's a set-up for the December match and they're doing it at Differ Ariake. Still, I can see some people expecting a match more in line with Misawa/Akiyama, Kobashi/Omori or Kobashi/Takayama and being disappointed.

The consensus on this as "not a MOTYC, but good" is spot-on. Solid work, accomplishes what they're going for, leaves you wanting more. Not a lock for my ballot but it's got a good shot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This is worked "small", which makes sense considering that it's a set-up for the December match and they're doing it at Differ Ariake. Still, I can see some people expecting a match more in line with Misawa/Akiyama, Kobashi/Omori or Kobashi/Takayama and being disappointed.

The consensus on this as "not a MOTYC, but good" is spot-on. Solid work, accomplishes what they're going for, leaves you wanting more. Not a lock for my ballot but it's got a good shot.

This is exactly what happened. I wanted something in the vein of Misawa/Akiyama or Kobashi/Takayama but instead got the TV match to set up the PPV. Totally makes sense that they're not blowing their wad on night 2, but it left me wanting more. I did really enjoy the character touches Akiyama put on display here, not just working the knee but looking like he wanted to hurt Kobashi rather than just find an edge. Cannot argue with his booking right out of the gate. Really strong way to put someone over.

***1/2

• 1 year later...

For most guys, having a very good match is an accomplishment, it takes the most of what they can deliver. For these two, having a very good match meant they left a lot on the side for later. Yeah, sure Kobashi was Kobashi, with everything awesome and goofy about it. Still. Not sure about those new white on white tights for Akiyama though, and Kobashi would soon change for the classic black with prints NOAH Ace tights. This was foreshadowing of things to come, and very promising. Akiyama being kind of a dick was a major change compared to his All Japan character. Time to grow up, young padawan.

• 5 months later...

I decided to check this out today based on the MOTD discussion going on. I watched Kobashi's full title run about a year ago, but I had not seen this match before. 07/24/1998 is one of my favorite matches, so I jumped at this when I saw it mentioned. I don't know how it slipped through the cracks until now. Kobashi really DESTROYS the neck of Akiyama throughout this match. You've got some hard-hitting chops in the corner, and some nasty looking stomps to the neck. Once Akiyama gets a dropkick on the right leg of Kobashi, his focus mostly shifts there. And, Kobashi sells it wonderfully (through expressions, beating feeling into it, limping, etc.). For my taste, it's as good as it gets. I can't put over his selling performance enough throughout this match. I guess I'm saying, IMO, his performance is what carries the match to greatness. In 07/24/1998, it's probably a closer call for match MVP, but I could definitely see it being Akiyama in that one. I prefer the 98 match to this one, but I still think this is a classic. There's great focus on the neck by Kobashi. I loved after one suplex didn't take Kobashi down, the second time Akiyama came to it, he bounced up and delivered a second one to Kobashi without breaking stride. He knew Kobashi would bounce up, so ... not this time Kobashi. ****3/4

This still felt very much like a match to firmly establish Kobashi & Akiyama's personal issues and build towards a more epic encounter. The work was solid, particularly Kobashi's early shine and control on the floor, as well as Akiyama's focus on the leg. But although Kobashi sold it well for a while, they didn't stick with it long enough for it to develop into a huge issue rather than something to fill the time. The match also seemed to shift into big moves and attempted finishers a bit suddenly for this crew, as they usually make the journey more meaningful.

All of which is to say it was still a really good match that I probably underrated a bit, but not anything I'll remember as one of their signature encounters.

***3/4

• 7 months later...

First ten minutes of this are dominated by Kobashi. It is mainly mat work but he really varies it up and cranks in everything for maximum punishment. His abdominal stretch and crossface lock in particular are nasty. Kobashi going for and gaining the full nerlson took me by surprise but was cool to see. I thought this did a really strong job conveying a hate that Kobashi has with Akiyama now from getting turned on but Kobashi is more mature as a wrestler now and keeps his emotions in check by being more vicious on the ground and in his attack. Akiyama seizes an opportunity to go after the leg of Kobashi. That is a welcome callback to the focal point of their amazing 7/98 Triple Crown match centered around Kobashi’s selling. Akiyama locks in a Sharpshooter, STF and ankle lock in quick succession to really torque the limb of Kobashi. This is good work by Akiyama in leveling the playing field and Kobashi was game to sell the damage. He has to result to the big power guns now with the floatover suplex and powerbomb but his leg is to weak to perform the bridge so Akiyama floats over for a quick pin. Akiyama is able to hit a German but Kobashi grabs an arm on the pinfall attempt and locks on a Fujiwara armbar with Jun really having to struggle to reach the ropes. The submission heavy style of this match has been greatly appreciated as a change of pace from the AJPW style. Akiyama is able to weaken the lariat arm just enough to not have maximum damage done as we enter the home stretch. Jun fires off three flash Exploders and Kenta gets his big kickout. One more Exploder is hit and then Jun locks on that sleeper and Kobashi is out giving Jun the victory. Wow. That was sort of abrupt but that plays into just how deadly the move is becoming. Rikio kicks off Jun after the match so maybe that is going to be Jun’s next step. The first great NOAH match. ****1/4 (8.6)

• 3 months later...

I was pretty high on this. It puts a premium on matwork, focused targeting on offense, and not much in the way of maximalism. On top of that it gets over Akiyama even more as a cutthroat guy climbing to the top by any means necessary. When he targets the knee of Kobashi it's great. When he thinks he has Kobashi beat with the exploders and reacts to Kobashi kicking out his expression is great. And so he just kills Kobashi and chokes him out for a fantastic finish.

Kobashi kind of blew off the leg as a thing but he was good here too. Both guys incorporated the neckwork on Akiyama really well. And Kobashi brought a fun bully kind of attitude coming out to knock Akiyama down a peg. Build up to a bigger match or not, I really enjoyed this alot.

****1/4

• 1 month later...

Time to check in on the two poster boys of Japanese wrestling. This was worked in a minimalistic way and was closer to a Champion Carnival bout than a Budokan main event. That was okay but I think Strong Style has these guys beat when it comes to that type of wrestling. And to be honest, it wasn't a particularly memorable way to launch the voyage. You'd think they'd want to kick off with a bang but they seemed to be warming the table for matches yet to come. Lots of big shows happening in August so far but no big matches.

This kind of "main event" match structure is why I enjoyed the Okada/Omega G1 Climax match-up so much: it simplifies the bombastic formula, condenses it, utilizing offensive targeting to build drama without dragging out the nearfalls in order to produce excitement for the sake of excitement. In other worse, I really enjoyed this. Kobashi coming into this match with the bum right knee but still able to say "not today, kid" with the opening exchange was great. He works a slower, more methodical pace, bringing him back into the ring with a great stalling suplex from the apron before trying to wear him out with a facelock. Then he'll explode with chops on Akiyama, breaking down his defense for the half nelson suplex. After Akiyama dropkicks the bum knee out from Kobashi, I really loved the follow-up dropkick just as Kobashi had struggled back to his feet. You get the sense Akiyama is frustrated in his submission work, with him immediately dragging Kobashi back to the middle with the cross kneelock and then booting the knee repeatedly after Kobashi makes it to the ropes again. Kobashi puffs up again on offense with his suplexes and him grabbing the kimura off the German suplex hold was pretty sweet. Loved the front necklock finish as well, with Jun not letting go after the referee calls it as if he wants to be sure he's actually beaten Kobashi. Great stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-08-06-NOAH-Departure II] Kenta Kobashi vs Jun Akiyama
  • 1 year later...