Pro Wrestling Only

NXT TakeOver: San Antonio/Royal Rumble Weekend

KawadaSmile

I'm saying that Bobby Roode is only over because of his theme song. The same way Tye Dillinger is over for that stupid 10 chant and how Blue Pants was over. If that Glorious theme song was on literally anyone else, they would also be over. Regardless of good or bad booking. That crowd is cheering that song. Period.

Totally agree. I've said it since the beginning, I hated that song (well, it does suck too) because it was very obviously a case of production self-consciously pandering to the audience's worst instincts. It's like that damn Fandango chanting that was funny for two minutes. It all goes back to the awful "sing-along" mentality of the Attitude Era, the NAO syndrome, entrance (or gimmicky catchphrase) being way more over than the actual workers.

From what I read on that thread, there's probably nothing on that show for me. First time I'm skipping a Takeover in long time.

Ok. Nak & Joe in the Rumble. Please.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - if y'all are up for pasting your match comments into the specific threads also, we're trying to build out the match archive database for some future projects.

http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/forum/857-january/

I thought this show was really good - was at **** for the tag and ***3/4 for the main, with the opening two matches still to catch. Rollins stuff was unpredictable and actually helped him get the story over (and in his favor, despite being on Trips' home turf).

People shitting on this show is very odd to me.

A really solid show up and down, with nothing bad, and some really good stuff.

EY vs Tye was outright bad. The best the show got was decent. AOP vs DIY was the match of the night and it was easily DIY's least impressive match they've had in NXT. Nak/Roode had zero chemistry, and not only that, but it seems like it was a test for him to work more traditional US TV style main events, and it didn't work well at all, imo.

People shitting on this show is very odd to me.

A really solid show up and down, with nothing bad, and some really good stuff.

EY vs Tye was outright bad. The best the show got was decent. AOP vs DIY was the match of the night and it was easily DIY's least impressive match they've had in NXT. Nak/Roode had zero chemistry, and not only that, but it seems like it was a test for him to work more traditional US TV style main events, and it didn't work well at all, imo.

I disagree with every word you wrote there.

EY-Tye was a completely fine opener. Crowd was into it and it didn't over shadow anything to come.

AOP vs DIY was really good, I love a good hoss team and the match was like *** 1/4-1/2 level for me. A fine showing by both teams.

I didn't see no chemistry with Roode-Nak. The first half was fine, a solid main event, but from the time Nak originally injured his knee to the end was really great stuff.

I'm so shocked that Grimmas would disagree with every word I wrote. EY/Tye fucking sucked. Eric Young fucking sucks. Came out to the worst music imaginable, to dead silence, with an overly choreographed and timed entrance, then was doing a Flair Flop on the SECOND PUNCH in the match. It was about 5 minutes too long, made Tye look like a geek for all the times he'd purposely put himself in a compromising position with the rest of the group, and the whole build seeming to be "I've let down the people who support me too many times, I can't do it again" only to do it again doesn't build up Bryan/Sami sympathy for him. It makes him look like a loser since he's lost basically every even kind of big match he's ever had in NXT.

It's not like he comes close and victory is snatched away from him at the last second. He's just a loser who loses every match. Saying the crowd was into it is a stretch. They were into chanting for Tye. They chanted for Tye in Sombra/Strong as well, but I don't think you'd say that the crowd was into that match because of it.

I don't think Tye came off as a loser in this particular match, really. He basically had the match won if it wasn't for Sanity shenanigans, while against Roode/Almas/Crews/anyone else he lost because he choked.

He had to deal with 3 people instead of just 1, the numbers game caught up to him etc. Of course if he managed to hold off everyone it would've been a better story but it is what it is.

I don't think Tye came off as a loser in this particular match, really. He basically had the match won if it wasn't for Sanity shenanigans, while against Roode/Almas/Crews/anyone else he lost because he choked.

He had to deal with 3 people instead of just 1, the numbers game caught up to him etc. Of course if he managed to hold off everyone it would've been a better story but it is what it is.

It's clear he's going to be #10 at the Rumble, so of course he loses on the way out.

Full write-up posted on my blog...

Quick takes -

* Match-for-match, I didn't find a single one offensive - but also didn't rate a single one at 4-stars, which hasn't been the case for most recent TakeOver specials as, for these events, you're likely to see at least one Match of the Year candidate (even if its a low-end contender).

* As heatless as Strong/Almas was, I think Almas is finally getting somewhere as a heel. He worked hard to get heat and the crowd seemed at least somewhat interested by the end. Not the worst match in TakeOver history (that' d be Dempsey/Corbin from NXT Takeover: Rival if you ask me) or even in the past 12 months (I found TM61 vs. Authors of Pain from the last show pretty dumb).

* Liked the result, but didn't love the finish solely because I've spent the last 2-3 months stating on multiple platforms how dumb the WWE would be not to have Nakamura debut at the Rumble tonight. Based on the finish, him debuting would be ridiculous as they put a lot of work into getting the injury angle over, but whatever, the greater good (and necessary step) is to have Nakamura get a mega-pop tonight to help establish him as a big deal like they did with AJ Styles last year. With only Cena and Ambrose as dependable babyface stars on the Blue Brand these days, they need an instant game-changer and major WrestleMania player and Nakamura is the only "call up" that fits the bill. I'm a Joe fan, but nobody touches Nakamura's "It" factor and I really don't see them positioning Joe into a huge Mania match the minute he debuts. Nakamura, though? Far more likely to me.

* The formula with Roode is going to have to be setting him up against guys that are worth rooting over and exciting to watch. Sadly, without guys like Sami Zayn, Nakamura, or Balor, there aren't many faces on the current NXT roster that I find particularly engrossing as characters. I don't think Roode is "boring," but this match kinda proved that his entire persona relies on him having foils that will bring the flash that he doesn't have. Roderick Strong won't work. I'm not even sure Kassius Ohno will work unless he really gets over to the same extent that a Zayn did. Fortunately, they have plenty of time to build up a talent for Roode to face at the next TakeOver, but all the time in the world won't matter if there isn't a guy that has big enough personality to offset Roode's ultra-serious, purposefully dour character.

Finally finished the show today after a late start. I expected this to be mediocre at best and was quite pleasantly surprised. Absolutely nothing was bad as every match was solid and enjoyable, although nothing out of this world. A few thoughts on each match --

Dillinger vs. Young -- Thought this would be my chance to catch up on emails, but they gelled pretty well together and with the crowd so hot for Dillinger it was a very fun watch. Tye losing was an understandable buzzkill, but they tried protecting him to an extent with all of the interference, and in truth have never seen any kind of commitment to pushing him so it wasn't all that disappointing. Hopefully he eventually finds himself in this kind of role on the main roster. **3/4

Strong vs. Almas -- Roddy has some of the best offense in the game. Everything he hits looks so crisp and vicious. I miss La Sombra. This act does him zero favors whatsoever. I didn't think there was any chance of a Strong win here, so this was quite the pleasant surprise, especially with such a decisive finish. ***1/4

DIY vs. AOP -- Johnny Gargano is so terrific. Ciampa is an awesome tag team wrestler and hot tag. I freaking love DIY. I knew their names for quite a while but really hadn't seen them a great deal before NXT, and they're easily one of my favorite acts in the company. This was nothing short of a miracle given AOP's limitations. Very interested to see the next direction for them and the division. ***1/2

Asuka vs. Cross vs. Aussies -- Again, much better than I expected and well laid out as most WWE three- or four-way matches are, for whatever reason. They simply do a great job of laying out a wrestler and letting the others work cleanly. Nikki Cross was the highlight for me here as it was her first opportunity to wrestle a serious match with some time, and she looked great. Hoping we get to see her and Asuka have a proper singles match. ***1/4

Nakamura vs. Roode -- Nakamura's shine was pretty pedestrian and Roode's selling certainly wasn't going to make that segment. The bump to the floor and ensuing heat on the neck & shoulder were solid. Thought they did a nice job escalating things down the stretch with big moves and near falls, properly peaking with the knee injury. Just a great job selling that and teasing it without going overboard and extending it too long. I couldn't believe it when I saw the match time, as it didn't feel that long at all. Job well done. ***3/4