Pro Wrestling Only

[2017-01-28-WWE-NXT Takeover: San Antonio] Bobby Roode vs Shinsuke Nakamura

ShittyLittleBoots

Figured this deserved it's thread, because it has got some MOTYC talk by quite a few people already.

The entrances were awesome, Roode going all '89 Flair was glorious. The actual match though... Not so glorious. The first 10 minutes or so were meh, and once it transitioned into Roode working on top, it became straight up boring. Nakamura's comeback w/ his usual signature moves wasn't interesting, but I did like the moment where he was signaling for Kinshasa & Roode wouldn't get up. That was good. Then some more Roode work on top. Ughhh. And once again, Nakamura's hope spots & comeback weren't any interesting. I did like Shinsuke not being able to pin Roode after he had delivered Kinshasa, that was real good. The finish was pretty damn good with Nakamura trying everything he can to survive - that Triangle before getting destroyed was good. Overall though? Easily the worst match of the night & the worst of Nakamura's major matches in NXT so far, in my eyes. *1/2

Wow, shocked by that review.

I thought it was a solid match, until Nakamura's knee injury then I thought it was an amazing finishing stretch. The drama of Nanakmura's knee and Roode trying to end it was great.

I'd go about *** 1/2, so not MOTYC or anything, but a good match.

I thought it was interesting that most of the match was Roode focused on the neck, and it still played into the finish despite all the leg stuff playing into the final minutes. So it was double limb work that did kind of weave together (and really protected Nakamura). I thought Roode was excellent in the last couple of minutes, including his shock at the first big kickout (and how it played into his disbelief when he won). I was around ***3/4

Main event time - Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode for Nakamura's NXT Championship. As has become the norm, Roode gets a magnificent entrance, with the crowd singing along to his theme. Not to be outdone, Nakamura comes in on a Green Goblin-esque glider fitted with strobe lights. The crowd was fairly split here, though I think there were a fair number of fans like myself who were rooting for Roode only because we're eager to see Nakamura get the well-earned "call up." Good but not great first third with Roode in control, which is par for the course with the Glorious One as he's never been a particularly flashy performer. Nakamura's comeback picked up the pace and the suspense level raised quite a bit when Roode played possum to combat Nakamura's multiple attempts at a Kinchasa. The faux injury angle actually hurt this one for me - I'm not sure it was entirely necessary when you could've reached the same conclusion without having essentially a 2-3 minute break in the middle of the match with trainers and extra refs and, at one point, Albert showing up at ringside. While not a MOTYC like most of Nakamura's other TakeOver bouts have been, I thought the last two thirds were very good/almost great. (3.5/5)

Im pretty high on this match overall. Nakamura's selling has been spotty at best in his NXT so while this was over the top selling, it was by far the most consistent he has been. Roode did a good job capitalizing on any mistakes and showed a desperation throughout. The ending that was full of WWE Tropes like the near stoppage worked for me in this regard based on the fact that you had some subtle things like Nakamura's knee being visible and the way it was really cranked on. Overall, a very strong professional wrestling match that showed me Roode is more than a snazzy theme song. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2017-01-28-WWE-NXT Takeover: San Antonio] Bobby Roode vs Shinsuke Nakamura