Pro Wrestling Only

The greatest match of all time

NintendoLogic

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't derail the point of the finish. He was willing to die for his captain and die he did.

We will agree to disagree on that one. After a certain amount of pop ups it's hard to take him "dying" seriously-the beatdown simply isn't that devastating if you can get up so many times.

Naming ONE MATCH gets old. I think a top 100 matches ever project and poll similiar to the Top 100 wrestlers ever from last year would be really interesting.

I've actually wanted to do something like this for a while. But I decided to hold off on suggesting it because I figured everyone would be burned out from the GWE project.

Naming ONE MATCH gets old. I think a top 100 matches ever project and poll similiar to the Top 100 wrestlers ever from last year would be really interesting.

I've actually wanted to do something like this for a while. But I decided to hold off on suggesting it because I figured everyone would be burned out from the GWE project.

I feel many people would find making a Top 100 matches list much easier than making a Top 100 wrestlers list. But it would probably be a nightmare for the person organizing the whole project since thousands and thousands of matches could be nominated as compared to just 600-700 wrestlers.

Akira Hokuto/Shinobu Kandori vs. Aja Kong/Bull Nakano, Wrestling Queendom '94.

This is held back by some structural/pacing issues, otherwise it would have had a good shot at dethroning 6/9/1995 for me. Still all time Top 10 level though.

What are the structural/pacing issues with Queendom?

Rock vs Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8. You will never convince me that there is a better example of the drama and pageantry of professional wrestling than this match. They don't do a bunch of moves, but they play everything perfectly. It is easily the 'greatest' match of all-time.

Magnum/Tully 'I Quit' is second, and in my preferred style, but Rock/Hogan is... transcendent, it's more than a match, it's a moment.

This is held back by some structural/pacing issues, otherwise it would have had a good shot at dethroning 6/9/1995 for me. Still all time Top 10 level though.

It's not as compact as it could have been. There is some meandering around in the middle, some of the submissions run too long. They could have tightened the whole thing up a bit and cut around 2-3 minutes from the overall time. It's not really a big deal for a long match like that but it plays a factor when comparing it with the best of the best.

Still, that would be the first match I would show someone if I wanted to emphasize the storytelling power of pro wrestling. Also the exchange in the postmatch is simply the greatest pro wrestling moment ever in my eyes.

It's been a couple of years since I last watched it, but for years I have maintained that Misawa vs. Kobashi on 10/31/98 for the Triple Crown was the greatest match I had ever seen. I should go back and see if it holds up still. I can't remember anything surpassing it in my mind.

Tabe turned me on to that match, as prior I had always felt that Misawa and Kawada had the best singles matches in AJPW during the 90's. I kind of turned my nose up at Misawa's matches with Kobashi, I thought they were overrated. Tabe changed my mind. I still prefer the Misawa/Kawada rivalry, but that 98 match was pretty close to perfect, the way I see it.

For all the people voting for 06/09/95, I don't disagree with you. However, does anybody think that their 05/21/94 match was close to being as good as that, if not as good?

It's not as compact as it could have been. There is some meandering around in the middle, some of the submissions run too long. They could have tightened the whole thing up a bit and cut around 2-3 minutes from the overall time. It's not really a big deal for a long match like that but it plays a factor when comparing it with the best of the best.

Still, that would be the first match I would show someone if I wanted to emphasize the storytelling power of pro wrestling. Also the exchange in the postmatch is simply the greatest pro wrestling moment ever in my eyes.

I really think it needed to be a long match because they were telling such a huge story. I love that match. Top 3 for me.

I go back and forth on this. Honestly, a lot of times it is what I watched the most recent between these few. 6-9-95 is up there for me, and I plan on revisiting it again with more context. The ones I toss around in my head these days are Clash 6, Bock/Hennig, Magnum/Tully, and Lawler/Dundee LLT. My current vote is Clash 6, but I think I would like to watch all of them back to back someday.

For me it's Midnight Rockers vs Rose/Somers from 8/30/86 in the AWA. I'm a bigger tag team match fan than singles, so I have to lean in that direction. For me this match was the best one I ever saw 30 plus years ago and it still holds up to me.

I started working on a top 100 tag team matches years ago and never finished it. I might have to throw that on my "to do list for 2017".