Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2017

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, the first PPV I got to watch in English was the Rumble 1997. And there on French TV, 20 years later, I fucking get the English sound (for now). What the hell ?

Ok, so Bailey vs Charlotte opens the show. Damn. This is the only match I really want to see apart from the Rumble.

Charlotte-Bayley: I liked this more than the Charlotte-Banks 30 min Iron Man. First main roster match to feel like a Bayley match, with the chase and title stakes. Liked that Charlotte played up the size differential in things like Yakuza kicks and overpowering Bayley on the mat. Big crossbody to the floor: Bayley's been watching Cavernario matches. Loved the Figure 4, loved the moonsault, really loved the Savage elbow drop. The finish and Charlotte wiping blood off her teeth were rather savage in their own right.

Look forward to people overrating that Charlotte Vs. Bayley match. I mean, both women did a top rope move AND Charlotte had some blood. Gotta be at least 4-stars! Can't wait to see what Meltzer says about that one.

Charlotte still wins on PPV. Sasha got squashed on the preshow.

Charlotte vs. Bayley

Easily Bayley's best outing on the main roster. Thought the transition and early action on the floor were solid, as well as a nice middle featuring Charlotte's control and Bayley's comeback with really strong offense from both. It almost felt like they got a cue to hit the finish out of nowhere, as things escalated very quickly and the end saw some awkward transitions. Still a very good match and another feather in the cap of wrestling's best heel.

***1/2

Thank god, Agius & Chereau are back on my TV. Bye bye Cole and the bunch.

Charlotte vs Bayley I'd say was very good, but nothing special either. Bayley's timing was off on several occasion and she isn't nearly as over as she was in NXT. The elbow-drop was nice. Charlotte is terrific to watch though, she's easily became one of my favourite. Well, I don't see where they go from there. The Sasha feud was awesome, this looks like it's over and done with. Fine opener.

Anderson and Gallows finally getting the tag straps was pretty good. Crowd woke up late around the time of the ref bump off the Brogue Kick and the Sharpshooter near-finish. Still feels weird having “major” title changes on pre-shows but this was uniformly strong.

I didn't see the match and haven't watched enough of Anderson/Gallows' WWE push to comment on THAT, but..I fail to see the point of using Cesaro as a transitional champion on any level. He's too good and deserves much better.

Roman Reigns vs. Kevin Owens

This was how you work a plunder brawl. Big spots, big weapons, almost all action without too many prolonged setups. Reigns selling just enough as he always does. Midway through I thought this was the best match they've had, which given the last PPV and nonsense on Raw isn't a high bar. But they had a lot of leeway and Reigns's willingness to take and sell so many major spots and bumps made this a terrific match. Fully expect AJ/Cena to top it, but these two went out in hour one and literally said "beat this." I wasn't a fan of Owens for most of the past year, but he held his own tonight as well. Wow. That finish. Didn't love it, but it certainly raises more questions than it answers about the Rumble match and Mania. Not sure it holds up on multiple viewings, but this match was awesome for what it was.

****1/4