Pro Wrestling Only

Royal Rumble 2017

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reigns-Owens: I liked the early shenanigans with the cage, and the brawl tribute to Austin-Bret was felt. The chairs were ridiculous, but give these guys credit: they set out to steal the show. Plunder brawling with Sabu-era plunder feels like cheating, but the crowd at this bar cheered loudly for the table splash and hard chair shots. And to give the devil who's sucked in-ring all year his due: Jericho was awesome in that cage. So campy, and thus so what the moment called for. People went crazy for Owens mocking the Superman punch, and later Owens flagrantly turning himself babyface with the Stunner and mudhole stomps. Hugo and Graves standing together waiting for a powerbomb popped me. Need to see where they're going with the finish, but yeah, that was something. I hope it's not the build for Reigns' match at Mania, but I don't know, maybe it'll work.

I think I'm going to restrict in my praise/criticisms as we go to simply whether or not what I see helps the company: I see literally no virtue in setting up Stroman and Reigns with neither leaving tonight with the belt. I also see no virtue in making Jericho's role in the match unrelated to the finish (thus not advancing that storyline either). Finally, I think we can all get together on there being no virtue on not turning Reigns heel. Except maybe I guess it's possible he won't be in the main event? And I don't think Vince and company would see that as a virtue.

Nice. An overlong, worked-at-a-snail-pace Attitude Era like garbage brawl, with the whole Jericho spot rendered absolutely useless thanks to the no-DQ stip, which overstayed its welcome about half-way through ending on a shit finish with a Kane/911 run-in. Gawwwwd. The self-conscious epic aspect of these overlong matches with carefully planned "epic" spot I really have zero patience for at this point. If you do a brawl, make it dirty and dramatic, not deliberate like this. It felt like 1999 again.

Reigns vs Braun ? Cool, One match I can FF at Mania.

This PPV is FUCKING SLOW.

Swann-Neville: To the credit of everyone on this show, everyone in the ring seems to be treating this like the second biggest show of the year. On the other hand, there was a fight in the bar I'm in that early on had more heat than this match. Crowd did pick up during Swann's big rana and 450, and this felt bigger than anything the division's done to date. The home stretch was very good: I've seen both guys live and never liked either of them this much, and people seem to buy Neville as a seething heel Tyrion Lannister.

Great idea for a cruiserweight match to do stomps and chinlock spots. Because this show has been so breathtaking thus far.

Well, it was *solid*. No idea why this is on PPV though. Apparently neither does this audience. At least they can watch the match without the awful camera tricks which ruin every cool spot too.

Boring, snail pace show thus far, with Charlotte vs Bayley being the best match thus far at *very good*.