Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-25-CMLL] Atlantis & Mr Niebla & Rayo de Jalisco Jr vs Dr Wagner Jr & Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr

soup23

Wagner gets in the face of Perro Aguayo at ringside. This was his first appearance in CMLL since the AAA split. Wagner also hits a clever foul right as the ref was looking away. Atlantis really is a superb tecnico as he takes it to Wagner envoking a lot of hate even though he is entrenched in the big feud with Villano. Really fun finish to the first fall with Wagner and scorpio all tangled up in a crab together. Atlantis gets La Atlantida and wins the second fall. Out comes Villano III and the fight is on. Villano III is ripping at the match and Bestia goes after Perro! Villano takes the match off and parades around with it. Huge chants of Perro rain down from the Arena Mexico crowd. Here he comes as a house of fire as the Arena Mexico crowd erupts. Him and Bestia have a great exchange. Atlantis gets his mask back on and goes nuts on Villano on the ramp. Now he rips his mask! The showdown between Perro and Wagner is intense in the ring. The rudos retreat but Wagner and Perro aren’t done as Perro gets his suit ripped. A kid hugs Perro as the faces celebrate. Oh shit here comes the rudo reserves and they beat the shit out of Perro on the ramp and in the ring. We cut to kids in the crowd looking like they are about to cry. Here comes the tecnicos to rush them out and another brawl breaks out. Perro has color. I have no idea how to rank it because its not really about the match but holy shit what a segment this was. ****1/4

Not much of a wrestling match and the match doesn't even go all that long, so I won't rate it, but this was a ***** angle for sure. Total chaos. Not much I would add to Chad's description of it, but I'm excited to see Perro Aguayo in the thick of things. I'm hoping for a new wrinkle in Satanico-Tarzan Boy when the time is right, but otherwise, everything in the promotion is peaking nicely just in time for the 3/17 PPV.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back on the CMLL train with this match. I never thought I could be so excited about a "non-match" but this was tremendous. Wagner needs to stop spending so much time in Japan because he turned shit on its head right away by slapping Perro at ringside. I love how Perro's son, or his nephew, or whomever it with him at ringside, looked like Chris from the Sopranos. With their dye-jobs, Bestia and Scorpio look like the Fabulous Ones or some other Southern heel tag team. I'm pretty much a Bestia fan for life at this point as I thought he looked great here. For some reason, Atlantis showed more fire here than in his trios matches against Villano and seemed more affronted by Wagner attacking Perro than the Villanos stomping a mudhole in his own hide. Somebody in CMLL was watching the WWF for clues because Villano III's appearance couldn't have been more WWF unless his theme music dropped. It worked nicely, though. Perro getting involved meant the segment as a whole was longer than most of the trios matches that have aired thus far. It was also a reminder of how great Perro's match with Universo 2000 was. Crash booking lucha style, but crash booking done well.

Match wasn't much but I like that the Tecnicos actually got some offense and the rudos sold great. Especially Bestia who was bumping all over the place. A nice change of pace from January that was so Rudo heavy. Scropio Jr looks disgusting here. Like 1999 Mick Tierney roided up to the gills with that blonde dyejob. Love it.

That angle though. God damn that was amazing. I will always be a Perro sr fan. He was old as dirt but no one has the charisma he had and connection with the crowd no matter what. The closest person is maybe Terry Funk. Wagner attacks Perro and the Perro joins the big brawl and it's on. Atlantis fired up is always a treat cause it's so rare. Love Los capos coming out and attacking Perro which leads to Atlantis coming back out. I remember reading in the back issues of the observer that CMLL was trying to go more WWF like because crowds were so bad in winter 1999. You can tell that here. Great angle.

• 1 month later...

Nice dual angles with Villano III coming out to attack Atlantis and then Salvaje and Wagner attacking Aguayo at ringside. Atlantis got really fired up in his brawling with Villano. Aguayo got continually attacked and lost the sleeve of his suit coat and then got attacked again and busted open. Loved hearing the crowd get involved and chanting "Perro" to rally him.

• 6 months later...

Before the match Wagner gets in Perro Aguayo’s face and slaps him! Hell yeah, I’m ready for whatever this leads to. Quick rudo beatdown to start but the tecnicos make a hot comeback in the first fall, it’s chaotic with all 6 guys brawling around ringside. Atlantis and Rayo doing some comples sequences teaming together, cool, wasn’t expecting that. Rayo plancha! I enjoyed this - all the rudo beatdown brawls to start the year were fun but a nice tecnico cool stuff showcase was welcome here, well-executed, good intensity.

Angle time! The rudos are beating up Perro Aguayo! Villano are going after Atlantis! It’s breaking down in Mexico City! Perro hops in the ring and starts kicking ass, Atlantis is chasing Villano down the aisle, by god is this Arena Mexico or the WMC-5 TV studio. The brawling just keeps going. This is amazing. This is the best thing CMLL has done all year and do we have some momentum moving forward.

• 8 months later...

This is incredible. The Atlantis feud gets ramped up yet again and we get ANOTHER heated CMLL feud. The rudos just laying into him at ringside is kind of jarring and sudden even though they were obviously setting it up. CMLL is the best thing going on so far this year and just keeps getting better and better. 

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-25-CMLL] Atlantis & Mr Niebla & Rayo de Jalisco Jr vs Dr Wagner Jr & Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr