Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-26-WCW-Saturday Night] Elix Skipper vs Billy Kidman

soup23

Torrie Wilson has a video camera? I missed that gimmick change. I think this was my favorite of the C show matches so far. A ton of energy and highspots. Elix looks really good and keeps his balance forever on his springboard dive to the outside waiting for Kidman to get into position. Elix is also good at the cutoffs like the front face DDT. I like Hudson saying Torrie can’t afford that lifestyle on the loser share of the purse. Elix has a ton of unique offense and puts it together in a believable fashion. The best part of this is that Elix didn’t try to powerbomb Kidman. Good match. ***

Really fun match. Elix Skipper looks like he should be on the main shows. They definitely kept things moving. I liked this a lot myself. In previous years, I usually found Kidman's matches on the C shows to be among the best pretty consistently for whatever that's worth. ***

• 4 weeks later...

Kidman with a clothesline to Skipper who goes backwards over the top rope to the floor and follows up with a pescado. He throws him back in the ring and comes off the top with a crossbody for a two count. Bit of an awkward spot as Skipper tries to backdrop Kidman over the ropes but they eventually manage it. Kidman lands on the apron, Skipper dropkicks him and he takes a nasty looking bump to the floor landing flush on his side. Awesome springboard crossbody to the floor from Elix to Kidman. Skipper with a mule kick dropkick and a Northern Lights suplex into a powerslam. Ax handle off the top for two, but he then misses a dropkick off the top. Kidman reverses a powerbomb into a facebuster, and Skipper again pulls out his ‘play of the day’. He jumps to the top turnbuckle but slips, and Kidman is on him unloading with punches. Huracanrana from the top and that’s all she wrote.

The best match Skipper has been involved in so far, but no surprise considering who his opponent is. He’s a ridiculously athletic wrestler, but even working against Kidman you can tell he’s green. He’s got some unique moves, but tends to go from high spot to high spot to high spot. No bringing the crowd down in between. Plenty of potential on display from him though.

• 11 months later...

Really enjoyable stuff from both guys here. Skipper looks really smooth, even if he does get struck down by the Billy Kidman Powerbomb virus but Kidman did have these kind of short, snappy TV matches down very nicely. It's heartening to see WCW continue to pluck good wrestling out of a surrounding aura of terribleness.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-02-26-WCW-Saturday Night] Elix Skipper vs Billy Kidman