Trump

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#21 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2602 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:55 PM

I heard something on Twitter about a writer on creative who was vocally anti-Trump being fired around the same time as the announcement of Linda being in the cabinet. 

#22 overbooked

overbooked
  • Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:15 AM

Is there any data on the political leanings of WWE fans/subscribers? I suspect Vocal Internet Wrestling Fan is generally more left-leaning than Average Joe WWE Fan, but I could be wrong. But any data on that could inform how likely WWE would be affected by its links with Trump, and how bothered Vince would be about it.

However, it feels really hard to make a call on this. The Trump presidency doesn't really have a historical precedent for us to understand how this will pan out, and WWE has survived plenty of PR disasters. 

#23 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:56 AM

Years ago Dave published a huge demographic study on sports that included wrestling and the main thrust was that wrestling fans were actually a majority Democrat/left leaning.

#24 gingears

gingears
  • Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:57 AM

I believe that that is this article.

http://www.thepostga...ports-interests

How-Politics-Correlate-With-Sports-Inter

#25 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4453 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:39 AM

I heard something on Twitter about a writer on creative who was vocally anti-Trump being fired around the same time as the announcement of Linda being in the cabinet. 

That writer stated that his politics had nothing to do with it.

#26 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

Can we keep PWO one of the few sites that serves as an escape from all of this?

#27 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

I'd have to see who was asked and at what types of events.

#28 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2602 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

the company (usually) would give a body part for the type of press being seen with the President would give you.  

They even faked one going to WrestleMania. One funny thing I noticed was that in the Royal Rumble '95, Lawler makes a joke about Bill Clinton and Vince lets it slide. I can only imagine, because the federal gov't case against him intensified during the Clinton administration, the animus he has for them. 

#29 van_Fair

van_Fair
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

Well first and foremost any kind of expansion plans WWE had in China are now dead. American-Chinese relations are going to become very frosty and since WWE has very close ties with Trump and Linda being part of the government, the Chinese government will throw a wrench into any kind of business WWE will attempt to do in the next four years.

If the Trump administrations does go bad, then there is a good chance that WWE will become a propaganda tool. Which would make criticizing the booking a punishable offence. Then it will be interesting to see who in the wrestling media will fall in line (Alvarez), who will stay true and be in a risky position (Keller) and who will get themselves into hot water by underestimating the situation (Meltzer).

#30 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4453 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:11 PM

If the Trump administrations does go bad, then there is a good chance that WWE will become a propaganda tool. Which would make criticizing the booking a punishable offence. Then it will be interesting to see who in the wrestling media will fall in line (Alvarez), who will stay true and be in a risky position (Keller) and who will get themselves into hot water by underestimating the situation (Meltzer).

.......what? 😂

#31 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2602 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

Well first and foremost any kind of expansion plans WWE had in China are now dead. American-Chinese relations are going to become very frosty and since WWE has very close ties with Trump and Linda being part of the government, the Chinese government will throw a wrench into any kind of business WWE will attempt to do in the next four years

Did they have any plans for China?

#32 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:03 PM

Cena didn't learn to speak Mandarin for fun.

#33 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

Glad to see we've already gone into completely unhinged conspiracy theories.

#34 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10161 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

Seriously. Let's wait until they start pushing Rusev as top babyface.

#35 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:22 PM

I've shoehorned some shady psychology justifying the network at this point by bumping my monthly ACLU donation to a multiple of the network expense. Right or wrong it helps me sleep at night. With my sports teams a few levels below the gutter, wrestling is my main passion/hobby. Hanging on as long as I can.

#36 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

I've shoehorned some shady psychology justifying the network at this point by bumping my monthly ACLU donation to a multiple of the network expense. Right or wrong it helps me sleep at night. With my sports teams a few levels below the gutter, wrestling is my main passion/hobby. Hanging on as long as I can.

On Reddit, they urged everyone to donate to the ACLU. The very next day? Paid ACLU ads all over Reddit lol Can't make this stuff up

#37 fakeplastictrees

fakeplastictrees
  • Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

Glad to see we've already gone into completely unhinged conspiracy theories.

Did someone say....conspiracy? But seriously, I will get into the Trump/WWE/McMahon stuff in a future episode of the MIS podcast! :)

#38 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2602 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:26 PM

I had some misgivings at first, but I don't think mine or anybody's WWE Network subscription needs justification in light of this. I feel like anyone that protests WWE because of this is keeping their eye off the ball. 

#39 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:43 AM

Trump making Col. Debeers his chief strategist was a bold move towards winning "Best heel" in the Washington Observer Newsletter. 

#40 Johnny Sorrow

Johnny Sorrow
  • Members
  • 4453 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:08 PM

Trump making Col. Debeers his chief strategist was a bold move towards winning "Best heel" in the Washington Observer Newsletter. 

👍

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users