What Happened When with Tony Schiavone

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

This podcast is insane. In this weeks edition, Schiavone tells an hilarious story about Arn Anderson agenting Ron Reese as The Yetay. The he admits he has a tiny dick which is one reason he wouldn't do a threesome with Flair (who's got a huge one apparently) and a "party girl". Schiavone is a riot.

#22 brocklock

brocklock
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

I don't understand why this podcast is not as popular as the Prichard one. The Conrad/Bruce bickering is obnoxious and the anti Meltzer rants got old after the fourth or fifth week. Tony is really funny, honest, and has great chemistry with Conrad.

#23 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:34 AM

Agreed. Tony and Conrad get along very well, it seems. Any needling is affectionate, not antagonistic. Tony doesn't have the need to keep a lot of stuff secret or toe any lines - he's pretty open about his opinion on most people he worked with. And he's funny. 

I've gotten used to Bruce/Conrad, and I keep listening because I enjoy the subject matter. But this one is better, to me. 

#24 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:43 AM

One complaint I have is the Flair partying stories - they seem to come up all the time and I'm finding them tiresome.

Other than that I'm enjoying these shows.

#25 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

I don't understand why this podcast is not as popular as the Prichard one.

WCW

Not listening to Prichard. Way too obnoxious and corporate minded in the interviews I've heard (with Corny for instance). And like Tony S. himself said, after two minutes, you know the guy is full of shit.

#26 brocklock

brocklock
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:18 PM

Tony doing the pbp for the Coal Miners Glove match from Halloween Havoc 92 is hilarious. Prbably the best moment of the podcast yet.

#27 Outsider

Outsider

Modern-Day Bad Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:80s Wrestling - early 90s - and nWo! Besides that I watch here and there.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 03:19 AM

I am having problems with the podcast feed. It works through Tune In but in Podcast addict it fux up. Most of the MLW feeds are not updating. Does anyone know what is wrong?
Thanx

#28 kbenn123

kbenn123
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:06 AM

I am having problems with the podcast feed. It works through Tune In but in Podcast addict it fux up. Most of the MLW feeds are not updating. Does anyone know what is wrong?
Thanx

They changed their feed host a few weeks back. I saw other people mention that they needed to delete and resubscribe to get it to update.

#29 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

Tony doing the pbp for the Coal Miners Glove match from Halloween Havoc 92 is hilarious. Prbably the best moment of the podcast yet.

"Jake is trying to get back to New York !"

Tony is gold. Greatest podcast in the history of our sport. (yeah, I know)

#30 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:05 AM

I don't care about ****** matches, the NXT tag team division, WWE Women having the best matches, English indie wrestling, G1 coming up, Lucha Underground coming back soon. The best thing in pro-wrestling in 2017 is Tony Schiavone's podcast.

#31 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:15 AM

Really? I like him alright, but Conrad takes the show in undesirable directions imo. The Uncensored 1995 episode, for example.

I'd love to see what Cornette, Last or a multitude of other podcasters could get out of Tony. Conrad seems such a waste.

#32 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

What undesirable directions ?

#33 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

Uncensored 95, the general fondness for wrestlecrap.

#34 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

Well, you're listening to the wrong podcast if you don't have a fondness for WCW bullshit, because half of the fun of WCW was the bullshit. And I do love how Tony pulls no punches with the WCW bullshit while at the same time brings tons of interesting hindsight about the business at the time. He's also quite fair toward Meltz reporting (unlike office stooges like Pritchard who make it a gimmick of bashing "da dirtsheets") and fair toward the product (and his own biases) in general. And he seems to have the time of his life while not taking himself seriously one bit. I really enjoyed Schiavone a lot before (at his best, I have him above JR) but I really love the guy now.

As far as Uncensored goes, gotta love the "buckethead" Anderson anecdote as well as the fact him and Heenan were actually pushing the "Uncensored" tagline as smart-asses because they knew they were actually being censored on the blood.

Now that he's back in the realm, I would oh so love to see Schiavone do some stuff with KC. Probably would be more of your liking too (more serious stuff) while still being entertaining as all hell.

#35 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Yeah, KC would be right up my street.

#36 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

Another idea would be letting schiavone do (proper) commentary on at least one of the Flair-Steamboat trilogy. Or Flair-Funk.

#37 jpchicago23

jpchicago23
  • Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

KC would do great with a guy like Tony. In no way would I prefer Last over Conrad though. Not for a second

#38 Cox

Cox
  • Members
  • 1768 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

I'm not the world's biggest Conrad fan, but I'd rather listen to him than Brian Last. Last is a guy who, very quickly, became one of the most pompous, overbearing voices in wrestling podcasting. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but his podcasting persona began grating on me very quickly, particularly after Bix left 6:05.

#39 jpchicago23

jpchicago23
  • Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:00 PM

Yea I had to stop listening to 605 bc it got so self serving. Everything was a me show and it becomes very groan inducing. He acts as if he's actually a part of wrestling history

#40 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

Brian Last checks his ego at the door whilst interviewing, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users