What Happened When with Tony Schiavone

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:47 PM

That episode on Fall Brawl 97. Epic stuff.

#42 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

Very interesting to see Schiavone's take on the first Russo PPV in Mayhem 99. As always, I find Tony very balanced in his views. The last story he tells about how some dipshit online actually threatened his daughter and asked people online to beat her up if they saw her in Toronto at the PPV is quite disgusting. I think the dipshit in question was Chris Hyatte. Don't know why I remember the name of this idiot. Probably because his columns was some of the first stuff I was reading when I got online in 97. Still, quite a fucked-up situation there.

#43 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

The first Horsemen episode was awesome. Everyone needs to listen to this.

#44 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

Really El-P?

I learned nothing from it, found it all a bit bland tbh.

#45 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10262 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

Heard most of the first part and I'm with Jerome here. Past hanging out with Flair, Conrad comes from a pretty similar place to the rest of us when it comes to knowledge and remembrance. As such he actually ends up asking Tony a bunch of the stuff that we probably would or mentioning certain things that we'd mention. If nothing else, he's got the incredibly detailed notes of someone who recently watched that really long "Best of the Four Horsemen comp" that starts in 85 with everyone disparate and runs through that year's TV. So it ends up as a much deeper dive than you'd expect. You could have forgiven him for starting with the Flair turn, for instance, but they hit a lot of other things instead. You have Tony basically corroborating each thing along the way. Ultimately, if you didn't learn anything new from this, it's because there was nothing new to learn but you did get a lot confirmed by a deeply inside source and Tony's memory for this stuff is very vivid and the emotion he's able to bring back to it is enjoyable. Unless you wanted to get deep into match quality or squashes or run through every available promo or something, so far it's everything you could possibly want from something like this and, to me, a lot more enjoyable than Tony going through a generally disconnected Nitro era PPV. I get that the format's working for them, but they'd do better with themed shows focusing on specific feuds or talents or whatever.

#46 kbenn123

kbenn123
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:21 PM

I felt like the second Horsemen episode was disappointing in the sense that the first 40 minutes was nearly all commercials and plugs. It made it a tough listen.

#47 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10262 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

I've gotten good with the 15 second jump button.

#48 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

I felt like the second Horsemen episode was disappointing in the sense that the first 40 minutes was nearly all commercials and plugs. It made it a tough listen.

Gotta agree. I dunno what they were thinking with these 40 first minutes. You can feel how Arn & Tully leaving was the end of an era for Tony himself though. I hope they'll get into the later Horsemen in some other episode (gotta hear what Tony thinks about Roma), although they seem to go back to a show per podcast formula, which doesn't bother me at all. Still, Schiavone gave a lot of hinsight to the whole story I felt. And still sounds like the more balanced guy I've heard too. The story about Windham getting him drunk was kinda classic.

#49 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

I'm way behind on this, but I have a general question about the man himself I hope someone can answer here. Kevin Sullivan was talking about the time Brian Pillman came up behind Bobby Heenan at the January '96 Clash, and briefly mentioned that Tony had a broken neck. Has Tony talked about it at all on the show by now?

#50 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 01:34 AM

I don't remember he did. He mentionned the Pillman incident once and that Bobby was scared shitless because of his bad neck. 

But yeah, on the last issue (Q&A), Tony mentionned that he couldn't play golf anymore after his neck injury/operation.

#51 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

I'm just wondering how he injured his neck, specifically if it was related to wrestling. 

#52 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

Listened to the Heenan episode. I'll say the same thing as I did after listening to a schiavone podcast on the same topic 3 years ago.

Tony, pick up the f***ing phone and ring him.

#53 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

Some people just aren't good at that. I totally understand. It used to piss me off (I'm always the one who picks up the phone and calls, or send e-mails/messages), but not that much anymore. 

I found this episode quite fascinating again and Tony very fair as usual. Gotta love the "Fingers" nickname Heenan gave to Tenay's wife.

#54 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

I met Bobby Heenan at an autograph signing in 1999. It was at a record store, so I asked him what kind of music he liked and what the wrestlers liked (I think Van Halen was playing inside and he said "stuff like this"). I asked him what Tony liked and he said "little boys in closets". 

#55 Kronos

Kronos

Space Mountain

• Members
  • 1027 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

I've gotten good with the 15 second jump button.

I have caught up on most of these shows, and I enjoy the heck out of them. (Conrad and Tony are a lot more fun together than Conrad and Bruce, for me) But I definitely zoom about 10 minutes into the beginning of the show before starting because I know the beginning is commercials and announcements about upcoming events, etc. 

#56 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

It wasn't discussed directly on the episode here, but I always got the impression that Schiavone would get annoyed on air that Heenan was clearly checked out and didn't care about much apart from slipping in one liners.

#57 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

It wasn't discussed directly on the episode here, but I always got the impression that Schiavone would get annoyed on air that Heenan was clearly checked out and didn't care about much apart from slipping in one liners.

It was both ways, as I remember it - Tony would no-sell Bobby's one-liners a lot of the time.

#58 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

The Hog Wild episode is off to a really compelling start, with Conrad going hard at Heenan for working drunk and Schiavone questioning his own avoiding confrontation as a producer back then.

#59 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

The Nitro re-announcing is pretty damn funny. Coolest moment for me, during a Villano IV & V vs Lizmark Jr. & Garza match which had brutal (and funny) lucha libre insensitivity calls from Tony (it would made some fragile people cry) : "Then again, I watched some Lucha Underground and some of the stuff there is pretty cool". The idea of Tony Schiavone casually batting an eye at LU and liking some of the stuff made my pro-wrestling fan day.

#60 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10262 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

Reading in between the lines, Tony has to follow more of the current product due to his radio show he has now. I'm not sure if that's streaming online anywhere. I wouldn't mind hearing the Flair interview he mentioned if so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users