Pro Wrestling Only

What Happened When with Tony Schiavone

I liked it when Tony would rewatch the PPVs and comment on what he saw.

Yep. It was more fun and easier to listen "on the road". The fact the Austin edition was so nothing has something to do with all podcasts being commentary issues since then though. But I'd like other Heenan/Flair editions instead, or old PPV's non-commentary.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of it also comes down to that Bruce was much more of a hardcore wrestling fan growing up than Tony was (as was his brother). So he's much more in sync with the type of stuff that Conrad (or one of us) would ask than Tony is.

Though Conrad is much more of a Monday Night Wars fan than we are, even those of us who came to 1985 JCP later in life.

Perhaps if Schiavone picked the topics himself and they ditched the poll altogether that would improve things.

There's a real simple solution to Tony not remember certain things: Scrap the stupid "vote on what our show will be next week!" gimmick and have Tony decide the topics that he thinks he would be able to do a good show on/would like to talk about.

yeah!

There's a real simple solution to Tony not remember certain things: Scrap the stupid "vote on what our show will be next week!" gimmick and have Tony decide the topics that he thinks he would be able to do a good show on/would like to talk about.

Or at the very least, let Tony pick the poll topics based on things that he would like to talk about.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like the live watching episodes myself, I listened to the Havoc 95 episode the other day and Tony is hilarious on it. Anytime Okerland did an backstage interview Tony would go full dirty talk and I couldn't stop laughing.

This prompted me to give it a shot. Those Okerlund voice-over segments did crack me up. The Luger interview was insane too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard rumblings that Conrad is trying to do a show with Bischoff. I don't have my ear to the ground like some of you do, but man I hope that's true.

Could be true, I suppose. Bischoff stopped doing the one he was doing on MLW a few months ago, I think. Didn’t seem like it got any traction. I don’t recall anyone talking about it.

Makes sense. It's basically what Conrad had hoped for the show with Tony to be in the first place, until he realized 1) Schiavone's memory is shit, and 2) Schiavone wasn't keyed into much of anything in terms of decisions or inside information with angles, contracts, or decisions whatsoever. You can tell Conrad was wanting the WCW counterpoint to Prichard's WWF podcast. What he ultimately wound up with is something else entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

There's plenty of good stuff on Souled Out. The opener, Raven vs Benoit, Jericho vs Rey, Martel vs Booker, Flair vs Bret. And there's plenty of stuff they could have talked about with beginning the last great grossing years for WCW, instead they spend an entire match talking shit of Scott Steiner's owing Conrad money or something.