Pro Wrestling Only

What Happened When with Tony Schiavone

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the best watch-along? I did this with Bruce's show on the '88 Royal Rumble and really enjoyed it.

The shittiest the PPV, the best the watch along, usually. Like it's been said, Havoc 95 has awesome stuff. Starrcade 97 was quite good too.

It's true. Even Conrad and Tony will say things like, "I don't have a lot to say about match X - it was really good."

It's more fun when they talk about the wrestlecrap. I thought Hog Wild 1996 was interesting, especially about Heenan being drunk and the generally terrible idea that the venue was.

I'm going to jump back in with the SuperBrawl 3 episode. I'm a big fan of that show, hoping they can muster some enthusiasm for it too.

They loved Superbrawl 3. My favorite thing about this podcast is the complete 180 Tony has about wrestling. He's even searching out shows he's never seen on the network. I'm pretty much trying to tune out Conrad at this point. I'm listening for the WCW discussion, but he's very offputting. I remember him seeming fine on the Flair podcast and I haven't listened to enough of the Prichard one to have an opinion on it. He keeps trying to shoehorn in his boring beef with the Steiners in this episode and I don't find him funny at all. I usually skip ahead when he's busting Tony's balls and trying to bait him into an argument. Tony is great, and is why I haven't stopped listening to What Happened When.

Listened to the Bunkhouse Stampede episode today. I think this show is so much better when it's not a livewatch.

The Wrestle War '91 episode is also not a live watch and has been excellent so far (I'm about 40 minutes in). Enjoy the live watches as well, as it gets me to watch some stuff that I normally wouldn't put on.

If you believe the description of this week's episode, this thing is getting close to the end. When, it was fun while it lasted. Going through Superbrawl 98 live watch, and it's pretty good thus far.

This is either a work or a transition to a show with Bischoff (or perhaps a show with Bischoff and Tony both).

Every wrestling podcast has a "run", and this one seemed to go longer than I anticipated after the run of "Tony can't remember anything" shows. Ending up at 60 or so isn't so bad.

With that said, I listened to the Halloween Havoc 95 show the other day while on a run and I laughed so damn hard at Tony working blue that I had to stop because I couldn't breathe so well.

At the end of the day, it was at least nice to hear from Tony again after his long self-imposed exile from wrestling.

I have zero interest in listening to Bischoff blabbing, so hopefully not.

I have a little faith that Conrad could maybe push him into saying things he normally would avoid in interviews he's done before. One of his favorite phrases in shoot interviews is "I can't recall" or any derivations thereof, often said as if he's being told by his lawyers to say that. If he's somehow worn down by Conrad to the point that those go away, you'll have a hell of a show, in my opinion.

I also don't care about Bischoff.

I had a feeling this would end after the wedding since Tony was pretty clear that was the main reason he did this podcast and they were pretty transparent in trying to shoehorn in t-shirt ideas to make money every episode. It is really cool that it did get him back into wrestling though with him calling MLW shows. Conrad did get on my nerves at times, but this was a pretty fun podcast overall. I think my favorite moment was Conrad saying that the first new wrestling Tony watched since WCW ended was the 2017 Royal Rumble and Tony left him a text that said "Who the fuck is Big Cass and why is he on my tv. He is the drizzling shits".

This podcast has had its moments. Some episodes were light, funny, and a breeze. Others were atrocious and dreadfully boring. So it's always been a bit of a mixed bag from the very beginning.

Tony's been a good sport throughout though, and that has kept it enjoyable for the most part. I *will* say that his self-deprecating comments became almost uncomfortable and awkward at times. That stuff wore thin and struck me as legitimately off-putting.

I wonder if Conrad was just the wrong host for this podcast. Tony Schiavone is not Bruce Prichard. They both worked in production, but Bruce went on to work with talent and in creative, whereas Tony mostly stayed with television for his career. Thus, they are going to have drastically different experiences within pro wrestling. Plus, for Tony, this was largely just a job, whereas for Bruce, it was a lifestyle. I'm sure Tony has some fondness for the old Crockett territory and the wrestlers associated with them, and probably has some good stories about the dysfunction within WCW during the Nitro era, but he didn't live and breathe wrestling the way Bruce did (and this is not a knock, if anything treating wrestling like a job probably preserved Tony's sanity when things went sideways, which in WCW was usually "always"). A show that focused on that stuff may not be as popular as what they do on Bruce's show, but it still could have been an enjoyable, easy hour or so podcast a week, but Conrad trying to shoehorn Tony in as being the Bruce of WCW, when that wasn't what he was, and then getting frustrated when Tony wasn't the Bruce of WCW, didn't make a lot of sense to me.

So good on Tony. He went in, made a few bucks to help pay for his daughter's wedding, and when they exhausted the content for the show right before baseball season kicks back into gear, he got out. Hopefully he won't be a stranger to the wrestling scene moving forward, but even if he is, I'm glad his show existed, even if I rarely listened.

I don't think Conrad was the wrong host. Conrad pivoted off the STWW format with Tony fairly quickly. Lots of the shows ended up being pretty good and hilarious. It was usually the long profile shows, e.g. Goldberg, DDP, Steve Austin, that didn't work.

I doubt Conrad and Bischoff would last. I'd listen to it for at least a few ep's, mostly to see how their styles would clash. But between Conrad's harder questioning and breaking balls style and Bischoff's awful memory, self-importance, and how it'd be hard for him to pass blame on the bad calls, I doubt they'd have a long run. But if it does happen and comes together shortly, I'm sure there will quickly be conspiracy theories about heat between Conrad and Tony, just like there were about Conrad and Ric Flair.