Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-06-26-NJPW] Big Van Vader vs Tatsumi Fujinami

Jetlag

Vader makes his entrance with the badass elephant helmet that spits smoke. Then Vader proceeds to just kill Fujinami, throwing him around and demolishing him with his patented shots. Pretty good way to introduce how destructive Vader can be. He was just crushing Fujinami at points, including hitting a lariat with his tree trunk sized arm that sent his opponent into spasms. Fujinami gets some of his technical wrestler comebacks - kicking at the leg, body shots, surprise backslide and submission hold etc. - I think Fujinami got a few comebacks too many and it kind of took Vader's badass destroyer vibe away. I also disliked that Fujinami couldn't get proper height for his enzuigiri. Other than that this was a nice big vs. little title match where the slower paced parts added to the match.

• 1 year later...

Great job of Vader being the big mean aggressor early on, between the clubbing shots and the back work, trying to wear him down. They fuck up one of the spots and Fujinami's backdrop was a little too cooperative. Fujinami targets the legs, using the figure-four and scorpion deathlock until Vader pops him with a well-sold lariat. But then Fujinami is back with the low enziguri kicks and octopus hold, which Vader rightfully slams out of. Vader's crossbody catch where they both tumble out of the ring was awesome and I liked Fujinami squeaking out the win with the backslide. I agree, Fujinami looked a little too strong here, even more so in their April '89 match. But still a really good match.  

• GSR changed the title to [1988-06-26-NJPW] Big Van Vader vs Tatsumi Fujinami
  • 3 years later...

IWGP Heavyweight Champion Tatsumi Fujinami vs Vader - NJPW 6/26/88

The Vader Match Formula against a workrate opponent is pretty much bulletproof: heaping helping of clubbering, oppressive offense, sprinkle hope spots liberally and serve piping hot. Having watched him against Bam Bam Bigelow & Hashimikov, I dont think he had the formula quite down for the big men (but apparently the July Hashimikov match is better), he was already great against Fujinami here. The first great Leon White match was against Stan Hansen in AWA but this was probably the first great Vader match. 

Vader pummels him to start. Vader loves to give his opponents hope which I love. He ricochets off the turnbuckles on a missed charge, gets dropkicked and does a great ass first bump through the ropes. Vader was a bumping machine. I rarely think about Greatest Wrestler Ever shit when I am watching a match because I am focused on the match, but as someone who rated Vader mainly on his mid-90s American run and his late 90s All Japan, youre really missing out on Vader's candidacy if you dont watch the late 80s/early 90s New Japan work. He is even more athletic here and just as pulverizing. Vader climbs back in and immediately uses girth to regain control and chest bump his way to an advantage. He works some back-related holds that looks more painful because it is Vader. They end up on the outside and he runs the back into the post. What I love about Vader is he never lets a heat segment get long in the tooth because without the hope spots it would eventually undercut the match and him. He just beats and beats on Fujinami and ends up losing he looks like a choke, but if Fujinami gets a smattering of offense then Vader is losing to a worthy adversary. We get the surprise Fujinami suplex of Vader which is a Vader staple. Some leg kicks. The Figure-4 was great because of Vader's hollering bonus points for still selling while in the ropes. A lot of people neglect to keep selling when they are in the ropes. I really liked Fujinami following up with the Scorpion Deathlock attempt but Vader is too massive. Vader continues to do Vader things just using his mass to his advantage. Vader gets a brutal looking abdominal stretch only for Fujinami to use some enziguiris to set up an Octopus Stretch! Nice sequence.  Crazy bump to the floor on the Fujinami crossbody with Vader doing the backflip over the top rope. Vader catches Fujinami coming off the top and rotates into a slam and cover for two. Vader Body Attack for two! Fujinami gets the flash backslide for two! Great David vs Goliath from Vader which he would get even better at, I prefer their April 89 match but this is still great. ****