Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-04-Michinoku Pro] CIMA & Judo Suwa & Sumo Fuji vs Great Sasuke & Magnum Tokyo & Jinsei Shinzaki

soup23

We start with a clip of Shinzaki botching his rope walk. Fuji attempts to do the rope walk in a funny moment and he gets crotched. Crazy Max is definitely performing different being in there with the legends of Jinsei and Sasuke. The work when Crazy Max is in control is very comedic based including Fuji giving palm strikes to sasukes crotch. Finishing stretch is really entertaining with pairings and action throughout. Crazy Max really is a special unit with each member bringing something unique to the table. Fuji and Jinsei are in the ring for the finale with Jinsei beating him up and running through the gauntlet of SUWA and CIMA. Stereo dives by Sasuke and Tokyo and a straight jacket choke gives Jinsei the victory. Good match but frustrating in the sense that it felt very WWE Wrestlemania-ish as Crazy Max had been embattled in a great feud where they have been looking badass and winning the exchanges and now they essentially have to add in more comedy and get jobbed out when they are encountered with facing the legends in Jinsei and Sasuke. Even giving Tokyo the pin here would have been more beneficial. ***

• 4 weeks later...

This wasn't one of the best Crazy Max matches we've seen by any means, but it had a certain charm about it that I really appreciated. It feels weird to think of wrestlers like Shinzaki and Sasuke as the previous generation, but at this point, that is exactly what they are. CIMA continues to impress and was by far the best performer in the match. It did seem at times like he had a couple of great ideas and did his part, but the others didn't do their part, so the sequence was executed okay, but it fell flat of what it could have been. It seems like a constant in most wrestling companies is that the hot heels do the job to the old legends, and it's rarely the right move, but I thought it was okay here as a one-off. I just wish it had happened after someone else had given the group some measure of comeuppance. ***1/4

• 5 weeks later...

Crazy Max focused more on comedy in this match than previously with Sumo Fuji parodying Shinzaki's rope walk and hitting Sasuke's crotch. They continue to be a fun act whether serious or comedic. They also did lots of Midnight Express style double teams. CIMA stood out the most in the match, with his quick kicks in the beginning of the match being memorable. Good match.

This seems to be the weakest of the Crazy Max matches so far, but it may be due to the clipping. There's not a great amount of clipping, but it interrupts the flow and affects my enjoyment. I was kind of surprised that it seemed like Shinzaki was the most over of everyone in the match. I just thought that Sasuke was always seen as the greater legend. Overall a fun match, but nothing memorable. ***

• 3 weeks later...

Sasuke no selling Fuji doing the sumo thrusts to his crotch was weird. Not as weird as that sentence tho. Crazy Max show that they can adapt to who they are wrestling and have a good comedy match with the legends and Magnum. Lots of kicks in this. Springboards and enzugiri's. Was this in Shinzaki's hometown? I'm guessing that's why he got the pin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This felt more as an Osaka Pro multi man match than a Toryumon match. It featured more elements of comedy than the previous matches featuring Crazy MAX.

Shinzaki and Sasuke were interesting additions to this, namely Shinzaki. Shinzaki is the first true heavyweight we get to see Crazy MAX work with and the dynamic working with him is different than working with a full crew of Jr.'s as always. I loved how it took Fuji 3 lariats to chop down Shinzaki, opposite it just taking 1 to turn any other Jr. in the previous matches inside out. I usually find Shinzaki uninteresting and boring to watch, but I thought he was good in his role here.

This was heavily clipped though as it was 23 minutes and we only got 14. However, I still think this was pretty good.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-04-Michinoku Pro] CIMA & Judo Suwa & Sumo Fuji vs Great Sasuke & Magnum Tokyo & Jinsei Shinzaki