Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-10-NJPW] Jushin Liger vs El Samurai

soup23

Liger's destruction of the juniors continues. I have enjoyed these for what they were besides the Kanemoto dome one. Here, Samurai is positioned as a lower level opponent but a long time foil for Liger and that is utilized throughout the match with Samurai taking a lot of chances and viciousness being on display in Liger dispatching Samurai. After the match, we get a clip of Chono looking on and he seems to have some words for Liger. **3/4

• 4 weeks later...

We see five minutes of a spectacular 8 minute match. Liger obliterates the late El Samurai and does a great job getting the crowd to rally for his kickouts, turning Samurai into quite the underdog. This is a new dynamic for these two, with Liger as the heel bully and Samurai as the sympathetic underdog. Pretty cool how these two have had so many very different and interesting matches against (and alongside) each other in the same promotion for 8 years. This further establishes Liger for his imaginary heavyweight run that we can bitch about later and Samurai gave a terrific performance, which has me wondering just how long he had fuel in the tank. Short, but unique with big impact. ***1/2

• 5 weeks later...

The clipped match starts with Liger seemingly finishing off El Samurai, but he is able to kick out of the brainbuster and stage a comeback. Samurai basically misses on a somersault plancha, but otherwise has a good run of offense. When Liger regains the advantage, he upgrades his brainbuster to a brainbuster superplex to beat Samurai. These guys have always been great opponents with a lot of chemistry. Good match.

• 1 year later...

More great stuff from Evil Liger which sees the tanks actually get some good shots in on Godzilla. It isn't enough in the end but man, what a great sprint. The ending brainbuster looks suitably devastating after two excellent, explosive performances. I'm not sure what I've enjoyed the most so far this year: Evil Liger or El Satanico being a complete bastard. Viva heels.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-10-NJPW] Jushin Liger vs El Samurai