Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-10-CMLL] Pierroth vs Mascara Ano 2000

soup23

The dads get a chance to shine in CMLL with a singles match. Ano showed a good bit of fire here and this was a different type of brawl we have seen so far with a backstage brawl and Pierroth doing a brutal blade job. This was a dismantling and seemed to be setting things up for later on but I enjoyed the action we got. **3/4

• 4 weeks later...

You know Pierroth gets it when he has the decency to wear all white when he's about to do a five-alarm blade job. Great selling here from him with Ano throwing weapons of all kinds at him and brutalizing him all over the arena. This is kind of a Jerry Lawler brawl without the strong Jerry Lawler comeback, although Pierroth does take more of a measured rally back that works on its own terms. Screwy finish with the ref didn't bother me as the hopeful beginning of a Pierroth vs Dinamitas feud. I liked this a great deal more than Chad, probably even more than the hot trios match earlier on the same show, which I loved too. ****

• 3 weeks later...

This was a fun mano a mano from two broken down gladiatores. The use of plunder and the backstage brawling was arguably the most WWF thing that CMLL has done yet, but a nasty blade job from Pierroth and some gritty ringwork made this feel more like cockfighting than your average WWF bout. This probably would have been pretty bad if the blood hadn't made it so edgy. I guess what this proved was that Satanico vs. Tarzan Boy could have been more like bloodsport if they'd wanted it to be. But then Tarzan Boy is hardly the kind of worker that Pierroth was. In any event, this surprised me. Much more worthwhile than I would have expected and I'm already a certified Capos fan.

• 2 weeks later...

The backstage stuff shocked me actually. I can't remember a time where a match went backstage since this happened. Maybe when the AAA guys invaded Arena Mexico for Paradismo? Pierroth is a total pro here taking a vicious beating and bleeding like he's in IWA Mid south. Mascara plays his role well but this was all about Pierroth.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What the hell? This turns into a WWF Hardcore Title match from this period, with the backstage brawling and weapons shots. Really fun bloody brawl, I always enjoy guys who aren't the greatest athletes who just beat the hell out of each other out of hatred, a forgotten art in today's wrestling. I was the one guy who liked the Pierroth-Vangellys feud from 2017 CMLL.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-10-CMLL] Pierroth vs Mascara Ano 2000