Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-11-AJPW] Jun Akiyama vs Kentaro Shiga

soup23

I love matches like this and when you are thinking about someone like Akiyama as a WOTY contender, this works as a resume builder. We have seen him so far this year being a courageous underdog vs. Vader, telling Misawa it is his time and now being a bully to a spunky Shiga that took the most of his Korakuen signature opportunity by going after Akiyama from the start of the match. Akiyama even throws in those dismissive short kicks that are so prickish. Kobashi is looking on like a master watching his apprentice do wonders. Shiga gets some flashes with a submission and gets slapped straight down for his troubles. A Gotch style tombstone and Exploder put Jun in a position to win with a vicious side headlock. This was a hoot as the kids say. ***1/4

• 4 weeks later...

This is an awesome Akiyama performance, finding his inner grump and taking out all of life's troubles on Kentaro Shiga, who puts up a nice fight, which seems to be a horrible mistake. You'd think Akiyama might be in a good mood considering his recent win over Misawa, but no such thing is true. The side headlock getting a submission is amazing. The side headlock! It looked awesome! I could watch short matches like this forever. ***1/2

• 4 weeks later...

I think Akiyama was better than all of the four corners when wrestling against a guy who is pushed two or more levels below him. Akiyama here is wrestling like a 20 year veteran fighting against a rookie. Funny to consider that Shiga only has 18 months or so less experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Shiga was hopelessly outclassed here but took the fight to Akiyama. Akiyama has entered that stage in his career where he's not about to take shit from anybody but I thought he was a bit too dickish here. Isn't he supposed to be the new golden boy? What's he doing beating on a scrub like this? It's the kind of performance you'd associate with Tenryu or Kawada not the future company ace. That said, it was extremely well executed and Akiyama looked world class the entire time he was out there. But world class ain't Ishikawa class and so far he is leading my race for Japanese WOTY.

Shiga was hopelessly outclassed here but took the fight to Akiyama. Akiyama has entered that stage in his career where he's not about to take shit from anybody but I thought he was a bit too dickish here. Isn't he supposed to be the new golden boy? What's he doing beating on a scrub like this?

Akiyama is a subtle heel by this point. It starts with his half jealous/half shocked expression as he watches Kobashi dethrone Vader and take the spotlights on the night he got the biggest win of his career and slowly builds.

• 1 month later...

Akiyama was superb. This match structure is great but tough to pull off if the wrestler dominating can't get across the lack of fear they have of the other wrestler. Akiyama was sending a message through Shiga. Had enough hope spots to remain interesting and Akiyama was great at selling, which has been his strong suit this year. The finish was perfect. Fun match that showcased Akiyama's versatility.

• 6 months later...

Hell yeah, love me a good Akiyama squash. This ruled. Shiga coming out of the gate confident, going after Akiyama's arm, and then whiffing on the plancha, which is the beginning of his end. I thought Shiga's selling on the beatdown was terrific, especially after the choke. Akiyama was such a dick though -- the way he ragdolls Shiga into the guardrail, the stiff boots and slaps, the double stomp from the top rope. Jun repeatedly slapping his way out of Shiga's arm control was awesome, then he just destroys him with a cradle tombstone. The way Shiga is trying to climb up Jun's leg after the Exploder was perfect, before Jun quickly submits him with the side headlock. Oh, and Dad Kobashi watching from the back. Great shot.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-11-AJPW] Jun Akiyama vs Kentaro Shiga