Pro Wrestling Only

WWF Presents: WrestleMania

LowBlowPodcast

-While Hulk Hogan and Bruno Sammartino are out on the promotional tour... Vince McMahon, Pat Patterson, & Gerald Brisco were up in Toronto and Montreal to secure locations for WrestleMania to be shown on closed circuit. Word is that McMahon met with Jack Tunney who is the the promoter for the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto about holding a special show the day of WrestleMania and then showing the show on screens. There have been a lot of negotiations between the WWF and the Canadian promotion to secure talent, television, and exclusive rights in Toronto, Montreal, and even as far as Calgary, but no word on anything final yet.

-The "B-Crew" with Randy Savage, Gino Hernandez, Chris Adams, the British Bulldogs, Greg Valentine, & Tito Santana will have a show in New Jersey tomorrow night but during the day they will be in East Rutherford and New York City promoting WrestleMania and the big event the night before. Everyone is said to be on double duty throughout the week to get ready for the big show.

​-There is going to be a special "contract" signing on Saturday March 30, from Times Square between Roddy Piper and Hulk Hogan. Andre, Ali, Bundy, Heenan, Savage, and Harley Race will also be in attendance for the event to kick things off for the big show the next night.

-Some unmentionables in New York have opened up a betting line on WrestleMania...

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP

RING ENFORCER: Muhammad Ali

Hulk Hogan © vs 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

Hogan -350

Piper +350

WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Randy Savage © w/ Elizabeth vs Jake Roberts

Randy Savage -110

Jake Roberts + 110

WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The British Bulldogs © vs Gino Hernandez & Chris Adams

Bulldogs +110

Gino/Adams -110

INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE

Antonio Inoki vs King Kong Bundy w/ Bobby Heenan

Inoki - 200

Bundy + 200

Andre the Giant vs "King" Harley Race w/ Bobby Heenan

Andre -150

Race + 150

Tito Santana vs Greg Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart

Santana +110

Valentine - 110

David Sammartino w/ Bruno vs Larry Z

Larry Z -140

David S +140

The Machines vs Haku & Barbarian w/ Bobby Heenan

Machines - 300

Barb/Haku + 300

Blackjack Mulligan vs Ron Bass w/ Jack Lanza

Mulligan - 220

Ron Bass +220

Dino Bravo & Tony Atlas vs The Russians

Bravo/Atlas -275

Russians +275

The Fantastics vs the Hart Foundation w/ Jimmy Hart

Fantastics -100

Hart Foundation +100

-The WWF is holding a special GUESS THE WINNERS programs for all those reading. All you need to do is send your results (via PM) to the WWF (LowBlow) with the match listing and stating who you think will win. Letters (messages) should be address WRESTLEMANIA PICKS.

- One point will be given for each winner... but title matches will count as 2 point picks. A special point will be given to any individuals who guess the match order from beginning to end correctly. The winner gets a chance to play "Guest Booker" for a special show at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago, Illinois on Sunday April the 7th! Let the WWF (Low Blow) know if you have questions.... here is the final lineup!

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP

RING ENFORCER: Muhammad Ali

Hulk Hogan © vs 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper

WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP

WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The British Bulldogs © vs Gino Hernandez & Chris Adams

INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE

Andre the Giant vs "King" Harley Race w/ Bobby Heenan

David Sammartino w/ Bruno vs Larry Z

The Machines vs Haku & Barbarian w/ Bobby Heenan

The Fantastics vs the Hart Foundation w/ Jimmy Hart

-The WWF has secured the rights to show WrestleMania in the Toronto and Montreal markets after yesterday's negotiations. Promoter Jack Tunney, nephew of legendary Frank Tunney, has sole partnership over the Toronto market while Montreal seems to be a little bit more tricky. Lutte International's Gino Brito along with silent partner Andre the Giant have not been able to negotiate specific terms with Vince McMahon and the WWF. Andre, one of the main attractions for the WWF, has said to be taking a strictly financial stance on the matter along with possible issues from him accepting bookings through Lutte International after the WWF severed ties months ago. Another part of the problem was the "poaching" as some would say of notable Lutte stars Dino Bravo and Greg Valentine. More on this on-going situation as it arises.

-It is a media blitz in the final 24 hours for the WWF as they push to the big event tomorrow night in Madison Square Garden. WWF stars are all over the Tri-State area pushing the event and even causing some commotion. At one of the press events today in Time's Square, Roddy Piper got physical with Hulk Hogan and had to be restrained by other wrestlers. Piper is going around saying that he is into business for himself and he will be the man when all is said and done. Bundy, Race, and Bobby Heenan all made claims that once the main event is finished, they are going to cash in their opportunities to face the world champion... whomever it may be. Andre the Giant and Randy Savage soon by the Hulkster along with posing with Muhammad Ali as they put the heels down.

-Antonio Inoki is said to be flown in for the event and some have even speculated that he will be teaming with Hogan and Andre in the upcoming house show loop after Mania. Nothing has been confirmed.

- Park of the negotiations with Inoki also proposed a special WWF tour/joint show in Japan with the JWA. Giant Baba has already met with WWF officials and is said to be very close on a huge Summer Summit show sometime later in the year.

-Some local territorial promotions were trying to curry favor with fans at the WWF events today, but security pushed them away by force.

-A lot of riding on the events of tomorrow and how the WWF will do with this huge show. There are some who think the WWF is going to forego house shows this weekend, run television based off of old tapings and clips from WrestleMania, and then run the weekend loop in Chicago and Detroit. No word on how that will shake out.

-Let the war begin...or continue depending on your point of view. Early reports are coming in that Jack Tunney has wielded his power in Toronto and Lutte International, who planned on running in the Gardens has been moved! Tunney has signed some kind of an exclusive deal with the WWF to hold a special event in the Maple Leaf Gardens tomorrow night. There will be three live matches and then WrestleMania will be shown. Needless to say these shots have been heard all throughout North America and the issue with Lutte International and the WWF, on the cusp of WrestleMania is at an all time high.

hqdefault.jpg

WWF Presents: WRESTLEMANIA

New York City, New York

Madison Square Garden

March 31, 1985

Attendance: 19,742

Special matches from Toronto, Ontario in the Maple Leaf Gardens

The Killer Bees defeated the Youngbloods

Brutus Beefcake defeated Scott Casey

Hillbilly Jim defeated Black Bart

-Live from Madison Square Garden…

meangene.jpg

Mean Gene: Welcome ladies and gentlemen to WRESTLEMANIA! I would like you all to please rise, remove your hats for our national anthem!

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.

O say, does that Star-Spangled Banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

-We then cut into a nice little video to the music of Phil Collins’ “Easy Lover.” We see hype for all the big matches and a special moment showing the showdown between Roddy Piper and Hulk Hogan! We then cut down to Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse the Body Ventura!

Wrestlemania-I_commentators_Gorilla-Mons

Gorilla: Welcome fans to the first ever, WRESTLEMANIA! I am Gorilla Monsoon alongside Jesse the Body Ventura. Jess, we are live here in Madison Square Garden and around the world on closed circuit, this is a spectacle.

Jesse: Nothing like it before in professional wrestling and there will be nothing like it again Gino Monsoon. WrestleMania is the premiere event in professional wrestling.

Gorilla: The bright lights, the music, the streets are filled, everyone is excited for the event and Jesse, we are all looking forward to the big one, Roddy Piper challenges champion Hulk Hogan.

Jesse: If there was ever a chance for Hogan to be beaten, I believe tonight is the night Gino. He has got the toughest challenger in front of him and this place is going to see history made!

Gorilla: I think we are going to disagree on that one Jess. Fans we have got three big title matches tonight, plus a couple of big time special attractions. Right now lets take it to the ring for our first of 11 great matches…

Fink: Our opening contest is scheduled for one fall with a 20-minute time limit. In the corner to my left, accompanied to the ring by Jimmy Hart, Bret Hitman Hart, Jim The Anvil Neidhart; the Hart Foundation! Their opponents, Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers, the Fantastics!

The Fantastics vs The Hart Foundation w/ Jimmy Hart

-What a way to kick things off here tonight as we get some hot tag team action right from the get go. You can tell these guys turned it up just a little bit for this one and it really shows. Gorilla and Jesse really put over the tag team division and how we have got four tag team matches tonight, and any of them could be for the titles. This one goes about 12-minutes and we see the Fantastics with a huge double dropkick on the Anvil sending him out of the ring to the floor. The referee tries to break things up here and that gives Jimmy Hart a chance to give Bret the megaphone and he goes to nail Tommy Rogers who ducks and the megaphone goes flying. Tommy then goes for a roll up but Jimmy Hart pushes Bret over and he’s got a hand full of tights for the 3-count. The MSG crowd is giving it to the Harts as they snuck away with one here today.

-Jesse and Gorilla go in depth on the tactics of Jimmy Hart and say that somewhere, he may get what is coming to him. The next contest is a special grudge match with Blackjack Mulligan taking on Ron Bass. They talk about the injury to Sam Houston and how Jack Lanza has been prepping Ron Bass for this special contest.

Fink: Our next contest is scheduled for one fall with a 20-minute time limit. In the corner to my left, he is accompanied by Jack Lanza and hails from Pampa, Texas… The Outlaw Ron Bass! His opponent, from Sweetwater, Texas, Blackjack Mulligan!

-A nice drag out brawl to get the fans going in the right direction as we see Mulligan rip into Ron Bass something special. They are battling all across the ringside area. This one only goes about 7-minutes and the finish we see Jack Lanza try to get involved but Mulligan nails him with a big boot off the apron. Here comes Bass for a clothesline but Mulligan ducks, turns him around and hits a Lariat out of nowhere and Bass and the referee go down! Jack Lanza hands something to Ron Bass… it looks like a SPUR! Mulligan gets up and Bass JABS HIM IN THE THROAT! OH MY! Lanza goes to wake up the referee while Bass rolls him up with a hand full of tights for the 1…2….3! The crowd is irate for this turn of events!

-Gorilla and Jesse run down the next big contest as we hear them talk about commissioner Bruno Sammartino and his involvement with getting David into the WWF and getting him started. They go through the injury that David sustained at the hands of Larry Z and how this match came to be. We head to the ring.

Fink: Our next contest is a special grudge match. In the corner to my right, he hails from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the self-proclaimed “Living Legend,” Larry Zbyszko! His opponent, he is accompanied to the ring by the former Heavyweight Champion of the World… from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, David Sammartino!

David Sammartino w/ Bruno Sammartino vs Larry Zbyszko

-This one is not as pretty as one would hope. They do get 7-minutes, but David just isn’t there. Larry Z does his best to really try to get him over as he was brought in to do but it just doesn’t work. David doesn’t have the timing and throws the match all out of whack. The finish sees Larry Z jaw jacking with Bruno but David comes from behind and dropkicks him into the turnbuckle and then rolls him up for a school boy and the 3-count. We then cut to the back where Lord Alfred Hayes is standing by with Greg Valentine and Jimmy Hart…

Lord Alfred: Fans I am joined here by Greg the Hammer Valentine and Jimmy Hart. Gentlemen you are about to do battle with your arch nemesis, Tito Santana. What is going on in your mind with a contest of this magnitude in front of you?

Valentine: There is only one thing going through my mind Alfred Hayes… HAMMER HIM DOWN AND DEFEAT HIM! Tito Santana, for months now you have been a thorn in my side and this is the night that I pull the thorn out and hammer it into submission!

-Hammer and Jimmy are shown walking away as Tito Santana walks into the scene…

Lord Alfred: Some strong words from your opponent tonight Greg Valentine… Tito, what can you do to stop a man like Greg Valentine?

Tito: Well lemme tell you something Lord Alfred. I have been up and down the road brother, I have fought many a tough opponent but tonight, I may face of the toughest of them all. I know the Hammer has got it going on in the ring but that little runt outside the ring is the problem. If he gets involved, I am going to show him a thing or two. Valentine, this is about me and you and tonight we are going to leave everything in the ring! Arriba!

Lord Alfred: There you have it… let’s head to the ring!

Fink: Our next contest is scheduled for one fall with a 20-minute time limit. In the corner to my right, he hails from Seattle, Washington. He is accompanied by Jimmy Hart, ladies and gentlemen, Greg “The Hammer” Valentine! His opponent, from Tocula, Mexico, Tito Santana!

-What a contest. These guys get about 15-minutes and they really use all of it. They start in the ring and then go outside and really tear into one another. The chops by Valentine are cringe worthy. Tito brings them right back. We see Jimmy Hart get involved but not for long as Bobby Fulton and Tommy Rogers run back out to the ring and cart him off. It is now one on one and that’s when things really heat up. The big moment happens when Tito hits a flying cross body on Valentine and they go over the top to the floor. Outside the ring, these guys both throw each other into the guardrail and then go for weapons. The referee has no choice but to count both men out and this one is a double count out. No winner as officials and agents run down to try and break these guys up. They get them to the back but it is pure chaos right now.

-Jesse and Gorilla put that last match over in a huge way and talk about how these two have to find a way to end things with one another. Gorilla doesn’t know if it will ever end and Jesse says there has to be someway. Our next contest is the first of three big title matches as we get hyped for the Dynamic Duo of Gino Hernandez and Chris Adams taking on the British Bulldogs. Jesse and Gorilla say these guys can talk and wrestle but he thinks that tonight is going to be a fight and he gives the edge to the Duo!

Fink: Our next contest is scheduled for one-fall with a 30-minute time limit and it is for the WWF TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP! The challengers, from London, England, and Houston, Texas respectively, Chris Adams and Gino Hernandez, the Dynamic Duo! Their opponents, the reigning and defending WWF Tag Team Champions, The Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith… the British Bulldogs!

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The British Bulldogs © vs The Dynamic Duo

-Another match that gets a little bit of time here. This one is about 13-minutes and we get a lot of quick tags and fast paced action. The Duo has come so far in such a short time while we see the Bulldogs as true professionals. We see the Dogs control a nice portion of the match before the Duo is able to double team and take control. The hot tag to Davey Boy Smith almost brings the roof off of MSG as he comes in guns a blazing and really tears shit up. We get some chaos inside the ring before Davey Boy looks to finish off Gino with a powerslam. Chris Adams kicks Davey Boy in the back of the head out of nowhere and this gives Gino a chance to fall backwards and roll him up for the 1…2….3 with a hand full of tights and the Dynamic Duo has won it! The crowd is going nuts as Hernandez and Adams take the titles and put them with their Mexican National Titles. Jesse Ventura is going nuts putting this over. Gorilla can’t stomach it as he talks about them cheating to win but Jesse says they are the champs and nothing can be done about it!

Mean Gene: Welcome back here folks… I want to bring in right now, Bobby Heenan. Heenan, tonight you have got three big matches coming up…

Bobby Heenan: Don’t you think I know that Okerlund. Look around me right now, I have got the “King” Harley Race, I have got the biggest man in the World Bundy, and I have got the most fearsome tag team in all of professional wrestling, the Faces of Fear. These men are going to show everyone tonight why the Heenan Family is number one in wrestling and why we are the tops.

Gene: I have a feeling Antonio Inoki, the Machines, and of course, Andre the Giant beg to differ…

Heenan: Well that’s the thing right there Okerlund… I don’t care what they think. I only care about what I know and tonight, these four men are going to go out and make history. They are going to rue the day they messed with the Family!

Gene: I guess we will have to wait and see… right now it is time for our big International Challenge… let’s head to the ring!

Fink: Our next contest is a special International Challenge! Introducing first, from Atlantic City, New Jersey… being accompanied to the ring by Bobby the Brain Heenan… King Kong Bundy! His opponent… from Yokohama, Japan… Antonio Inoki!

INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE

-A pretty fun showcase here for both men as we get to see the power of Bundy vs the skills of Inoki. It is only about 9-minutes and the highlight is see a huge Enzuigiri on Bundy that knocks him out of the ring to the floor! Heenan is struggling to get him up and in the ring as Inoki is awarded the contest via count out! This was nothing overly special but a nice showcase for Inoki and a way to keep Bundy relevant.

-Gorilla and Jesse put over the international flavor of that contest and talk about how Inoki could come over and do some big things here in the WWF if he so chose. They put over the new tag team champions and talk about how they have got a lot of tough challengers, including the two teams coming up in our next contest featuring the Russians and the World’s Strongest Tag Team!

Fink: The next contest is scheduled for one fall with a 20-minute time limit. Introducing first, the former WWF Tag Team Champions… Ivan and Nikita Koloff… the Russians! Their opponents… from Montreal, Quebec, Canada and Atlanta, Georgia… Dino Bravo and Tony Atlas… the World’s Strongest Tag Team!!

-This is an interest contest with Atlas and Bravo doing well enough together but there is just something missing. We see the Russians get some real heat from the crowd and this is a big showcase for Nikita who looks to be bigger and badder than ever. We get some real power and strength from all those involved before a hot finish that sees Nikita Koloff with a Russian Sickle that rips almost takes Tony Atlas’ head off. It leads to the 3-count victory and the Russians are the winners. Bravo and Atlas don’t look to be on the best of terms here but they know that they will get another chance down the line.

-Jesse and Gorilla put over the King of the Ring and how Harley Race shocked the world coming in and winning the crown. Jesse says that he is probably the only man fit to be King in the WWF if not the entire world of wrestling. Gorilla puts over how Andre says he was never even considered to be in the tournament and wonders what kind of a king doesn’t answer the challenge of all comers.

Fink: The next contest is a special challenge match. Introducing first, he hails from St. Louis, Missouri and is accompanied to the ring by Bobby the Brain Heenan. Ladies and gentlemen… the self-proclaimed “King of Wrestling” Harley Race! His opponent, from Grenoble in the French Alps… ladies and gentlemen… Andre the Giant!

Andre the Giant vs “King” Harley Race w/ Bobby Heenan

-The crowd is white hot for Andre who comes in with a lot of fanfare. Race is playing up the King gimmick all the way and gets some nice heat with the fans. These two know one another well and put together a fun little 8-minute match. It is nothing spectacular, but rather some back and forth and Heenan getting involved. Race does get in some nice offense on Andre and even gets him locked in the ropes and pummels away. Race looks very dangerous here, as Andre has to fight back. The big finish sees a missed bodyslam by Race in which Andre falls on him for the three count even with Race’s shoulder appearing up towards the end. Heenan goes bezerk but Andre’s body was just all over and the referee couldn’t see anything. Heenan is going nuts as Race and him continue to plead with the referee before Andre comes over and slams Race for good measure!

Lord Alfred: Fans joining me right now is the number one contender for the Intercontinental Championship, Jake Roberts. Mr. Roberts, tonight everyone wants to know if you are going for the title or if you are going for Ms. Elizabeth.

Jake Roberts: Why does it always come down to either or Alfred Hayes? Huh? Why can’t I have both. To top it off, why can’t I take the Macho out of the Man on top of it? Why can’t I walk out there in front of 20,000 people and millions around the world and show everyone why I am the best wrestler but also the man who took the Macho out of Randy Savage. You see something Savage, you hold that title close to your heart… and you hold Elizabeth even closer… but the thing about a snake… is that once that venom gets in your body it goes right to your heart and you lose all senses. Tonight that venom is the DDT and everything you hold dear is going to be mine… all mine.

Mean Gene: Welcome in here Randy Savage… we just heard from Jake Roberts… this guy is one sick customer.

Randy Savage: That’s the thing about it Mean Gene, everyone knows that Jake Robert tries to get in your head. Everyone knows that Jake Roberts tries to play the mind games. He has talked about this title and he has talk about Ms. Elizabeth… but brother you look in my eyes and this is the only thing you are going to be seeing. This right here… the Macho Man… Randy Savage…. Yea… I don’t care if they have to pull me off of your Jake Roberts I am going to come at you like no one ever has. I am going to make you eat them words brother. And when it is all said and donnnnnneeee…. I am going to have my title on my left and my woman on my right and OHHHH YEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Fink: Ladies and gentlemen, our next contest is scheduled for one-fall with a 30-minute time limit and it will be for the INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP! Introducing first, the challenger, from Stone Mountain, Georgia… Jake Roberts! His opponent… accompanied to the ring by the first lady of wrestling, Miss Elizabeth… the reigning and defending WWF Intercontinental Champion… the Macho Man… Randy Savage!

INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP

-A knock down, drag out fight is all this is. Roberts continues to make eyes at Elizabeth but Savage is right down there to stop anything from happening. The crowd is white hot for Savage who continues to gain steam each and every day. Roberts is as slimy as they come and he plays his roll to a T. these guys go about 14-minutes and we see all hell break loose when Roberts goes for a DDT on the cement floor but Savage counters and tosses him over his back. Savage then goes out and up the turnbuckle before jumping off with a double axe handle and Roberts goes crashing into the guard rail! He is holding his throat as Savage throws him in the ring. Roberts is trying to plead with the referee that he’s hurt but Savage rolls him up for a 3 count and the crowd goes nuts! This one certainly isn’t over but Savage walks away victorious here tonight! He holds up the title and Liz and the fans go nuts.

-Jesse and Gorilla continue to go back and forth on whether the referee should have stopped the match. Jesse says he is a Savage fan, but he was relentless in his attack on Jake Roberts! Gorilla wonders if there was any permanent damage done to Roberts and how he will respond. They put over the next big tag team match featuring the mysterious Machines!

Fink: Our next contest is scheduled for one fall with a 20-minute time limit. Introducing first, accompanied to the ring by Bobby the Brain Heenan… from the isle of Samoa… Haku and the Barbarian… the Faces of Fear! Their opponents… from Parts Unknown… Super and Strong… the Machines!

The Machines vs The Faces of Fear w/ Bobby Heenan

-Here is your popcorn match for all intensive purposes. These four guys do some nice hard hitting and back and forth but it is only for about 6-minutes. The referee from the Andre/Race match is back here and Heenan is still berating him. The finish sees the Faces of Fear attempting to double up on one of the Machines but when they turn their back, the other comes in for a switcheroo and he hits a nasty German Suplex on Haku for the 1…2….3! The Machines are the winners and Heenan is 0-3 tonight and he can’t be happy!

Fink: Ladies and gentlemen it is now time for our MAIN EVENT for the WWF CHAMPIONSHIP! Introducing first, he is the special guest ring enforcer… he is the former Olympic Gold Medalist and Boxing Heavyweight Champion of the World… ladies and gentlemen, Muhammad Ali!

maxresdefault.jpg

-We then get full on entrances for Hogan and Piper. We get the bagpipes for the Rowdy One who is gushing over this event and really eating up all the hate from the crowd. Hogan comes out jawing 100 mph as he gets into the ring and points down Piper as the crowd is hyped and ready!

Fink: Introducing the challenger, he hails from Glasglow, Scotland. Ladies and gentlemen, Rowdy Roddy Piper! His opponent, the champion! He hails from Venice Beach, California. Ladies and gentlemen, the WWF Champion, Hulk Hogan!

MAIN EVENT

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP

Guest Enforcer: Muhammad Ali

Hulk Hogan © vs Roddy Piper

-The time for waiting is over; it is here, the match that everyone has been waiting for as Gorilla and Jesse put this through the roof. These two guys know each other well enough and we get to see some of the mind games of Roddy Piper at work. He even tries to walk out of the match but Hogan welcomes him back in as Ali threatens to knock him out. With Ali outside the ring, there is a fun instance of Kamala coming to help Piper but Ali bats him away with a couple of quick lefts and rights as we get down to it. This is a really fun 15-minute match that just showcases the best of both men. We get to see the tactics of Piper as he attempts to control the contest and work over the bigger Hogan. We see the Hulkster use his power and strength but also sell for Piper with whom he makes look like a million dollars. We see a moment in which Piper gets out of hand and he nails Hogan with the ring bell and busts the Hulkster up a little bit. The cut isn’t bad, but just enough aesthetic to add to the contest. We see Piper go for the big finish and attempt the sleeper hold before Hogan finds a way to get up and the crowd goes wild as he runs Piper back into the turnbuckle. Piper runs out at Hogan who is Hulked Up and Hogan ducks and then hits an AXE BOMBER! Piper goes crashing into the referee who goes flying! Hogan then hit the big leg drop and here comes Ali to count the 1…..2….3!!! The crowd is going bananas! Piper is reeling around and not sure what is going on as he falls out of the ring. Gorilla puts this over in a big way but Jesse says Ali shouldn’t have been able to make the count; he was an enforcer not a referee! Gorilla tells him it is over and Hogan is the champ! Hogan and Ali pose for the crowd!

Muhammad-Ali-Hulk-Hogan-WrestleMania-I.j

-History has been made here in Madison Square Garden. We thank you for joining us for WrestleMania! Please let us know what you think and how this WrestleMania compared to the original!

Top to bottom this was superior to the original in every way.

Right of the bat, The Fantastics vs The Hart Foundation is probably a better match on paper than anything on the the first WrestleMania card.

Blackjack Mulligan vs Ron Bass is a better brawl than anything on the first WrestleMania card.

David Sammartino w/ Bruno Sammartino vs Larry Zbyszko is at least a better attempt than David vs Beefcake.

Tito Santana vs Greg Valentine, even without a clean finish, sounds better than either the Santana vs JYD or the Tito vs Buddy Rose under a mask matches that we got.

The British Bulldogs © vs The Dynamic Duo sounds better than the original tag title match (Volkoff and Sheik vs US Express) although I have to admit that match had some good heat to it.

Antonio Inoki vs King Kong Bundy: Nothing against SD Jones, but who would you rather see, him or Inoki?

Dino Bravo & Tony Atlas vs The Russians: Better than any power vs power match on the original card.

Andre the Giant vs “King” Harley Race: Waaaaay better use of Andre than the bodyslam challenge.

Randy Savage © w/ Elizabeth vs Jake Roberts: It's a better card with these two on it, and this is a better IC Title match than Valentine vs Tito was.

The Machines vs The Faces of Fear w/ Bobby Heenan is a better popcorn match than Richter vs Kai, but give WWF some points for having a women's title match.

As for the Main Event, I'd rather see a title defense than a gimmick match with a cool celebrity in that position.

So: top to bottom, simply much much better.

Great show. I found myself rooting for one side or another as I read it. The fans started out having a rough day but ended on a happy note which means they will be back again. I was really hoping for Piper as I just never enjoyed Hogan but I understand that he is the face of the WWF.

Would have liked to see Race and Andre get more then 8 minutes. I think Race was still a huge deal and Andre is Andre.

Good writing as you gave us some direction towards the future. David Sammartino's chance at Stardom may have ended. Tito and Valentine will feud it out! Maybe Dino Bravo turns? New tag team champs in a crowded division of challengers! The Harts on the rise while the Family must regroup.

Nothing against you as I thought this is one of the best shows in the game but it is also why I think I like Southern Wrastlin more then anything even though I am from NY. The pomp and circumstance of the WWF is for some while the drunken bar room brawl of the Southern Promotions is for others.

*The Aftermath…

hqdefault.jpg

{We cut to the back where Mean Gene is standing by with Hulk Hogan…}

Mean Gene: Welcome in here Hulk Hogan… what a historic evening… what we just saw will go down in the history books as the greatest professional wrestling event of all times… all capped by you defeating Rowdy Roddy Piper for that WWF Heavyweight Championship…

Hogan: Well lemme tell you something Mean Gene… from coast to coast, everyone in this country just saw it all go down dude… but for those 20,000 out there in Madison Square Garden… they are still trying to catch their breath. From beginning to end… this was a night of change brother… the winds of change are in the air and for what it is worth Mean Gene… there is only one constant in this sport and that is Hulkamania dude… you saw it live and in living color and I implore all of you to reach your hands out to the television and grab it… grab that piece of Hulkamania and breath it in because brother it will last forever!

Mean Gene: I have got to agree with you there… I know you thought that Kamala could have gotten involved, I know you had your hands full with Roddy Piper… was there every a thought that you may not walk out with the title…

Hogan: I don’t go out there for silver and gold Mean Gene… I go out there for the respect and admiration of the millions and millions of Hulkamaniacs. I knew that Kamala would be around but I was thankful for the big guy in the sky and my main dude outside the ring, Muhammad Ali to keep things calm and keep it one on one in the middle of the ring dude. When it comes to Roddy Piper… this guy has got every single trick up his sleeve… but when you go toe to toe with a man you see his true colors. Roddy Piper… I looked deep down tonight brother… I know there is disdain in your heart but you can still be saved… I saw that glimmer in your eye and in the eyes of my Hulkamaniacs… they know that you will fight till the end and we saw that here tonight… Roddy Piper… I am telling you right now brother… find it in your heart… find a way to change… it you can… we all can…

Mean Gene: Fans the sport has changed right here in front of our eyes… let’s go right now to Lord Alfred Hayes who is standing by…

-Cut to Lord Alfred who is trying to talk with Roddy Piper…

Lord Alfred: Rowdy Roddy Piper… the world wants to know how you feel after being defeated by WWF Champion Hulk Hogan here tonight in Madison Square Garden…

Roddy Piper: Defeated… how the hell can you say I was defeated?

Lord Alfred: Hulk Hogan was victorious… his hand was raised…

Roddy: (Raises his arm) See now my hand is raised… I guess I was victorious… huh… Hulk Hogan you low down piece of trash. Tonight you may have had your hand raised but in no way, shape, form, or fashion are you a winner man! The referee was knocked out. He was laying on the ground. Muhammad Ali… what was he again?

Lord Alfred: He was the special enforcer…

Roddy: That’s right… enforcer… not referee… he had no legal right to make a count and I am going to get to the bottom of this… and HOGAN… you ain’t nowhere near done with me boy… the Rowdy one is NOT done!

hqdefault.jpg

-We cut back out to Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura…

Gorilla: History made Jesse… what a night… what a moment…

Jesse: The spectacle was so much so it almost had me speechless Monsoon….

Gorilla: That would have been history making… fans new tag team champions… Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan both defended their Intercontinental and WWF Championships respectively…

Jesse: What a night with the title matches Gino… but how about the tag team matches we’ve seen… I tell you what… there are some serious tag teams coming up and lemme tell you... the Harts and Fantastics… I want to see it again!

Gorilla: I agree… a lot of potential match ups coming out of this… fans thank you for joining us here tonight… what a night… what a spectacle… WRESTLEMANIA… has arrived!

Great show. I found myself rooting for one side or another as I read it. The fans started out having a rough day but ended on a happy note which means they will be back again. I was really hoping for Piper as I just never enjoyed Hogan but I understand that he is the face of the WWF.

Would have liked to see Race and Andre get more then 8 minutes. I think Race was still a huge deal and Andre is Andre.

Good writing as you gave us some direction towards the future. David Sammartino's chance at Stardom may have ended. Tito and Valentine will feud it out! Maybe Dino Bravo turns? New tag team champs in a crowded division of challengers! The Harts on the rise while the Family must regroup.

Nothing against you as I thought this is one of the best shows in the game but it is also why I think I like Southern Wrastlin more then anything even though I am from NY. The pomp and circumstance of the WWF is for some while the drunken bar room brawl of the Southern Promotions is for others.

I think the Race vs Andre thing is really a protector and has so many layers to it. As a whole... this contest has got a lot going on and is almost a comma in a sentence that is part of a huge paragraph. Both men's value is on showcase but I couldn't find myself to make it more of a spectacle given all of the outside circumstances around it.

And yes you are right... David Sammartino sucks...

Overall, if I put this Wrestlemania compared to the original Wrestlemania, yours have completely smoked the original. So many questions left to be answered in the aftermath, especially for the Heenan family in the wake of that 0-3 record on the night? How will they regroup? And of course, we can't forget about the follow-up for Hogan & Piper. Many, many interesting things to come!

Awesome job here my man...so much good stuff but my favorite is the Dynamic Duo winning the gold! Also, love the post match from Piper which justifies why Piper agree to take the fall...just a great show all around and I hope we keep this thing going cause I can't wait to see how much better your version of Wrestlemania 2 is!

Wow your WrestleMania defiantly lived up to the hype. I loved the nice touch with the special matches from Toronto. It was a great way of getting everybody involved with the card. Harts vs Fantastics was the perfect way to open the show. I like a good brawl and Bass/Mulligan delivered. I was hoping Larry Z would go over but you described the match very truthfully. I don't think Santana and Valentine can have a bad match together and I'm glad this feud will continue. I liked the ending to the Inoki/Bundy match, very creative. My favorite match was the tag title match. Gino and Chris will be a good draw for you. I was kind of bummed seeing Atlas take the sickle but I get it. Randy and Jake would of had the crowd on their feet the entire time. The Race/Andre match was a nice gem. The ending to the main event was very clever and a great way to keep Piper strong while sending the fans home happy. Hogan had to go over on this card no doubt about it. Oh and reading Jessie and Gorilla's commentating reminded me why they were my favorite big event duo of all time. This WrestleMania was miles ahead of the original. Outstanding job and I had a lot of fun reading it.

I really enjoyed all the little bits you've added to the show from the betting lines to all the news in the build up to the show and then the aftermath. I think ll the results are the right ones, but interested to see how you book Gino and Adams as tag champs as they are a personal favourite of minute. I'm on the flip side to Kevin with the Andre timing, seemed about right if not a tad too long, although could have longer matches he was very limited and any more would of seemed unnecessary. Hogan winning, I didn't expect anything else, first PPV ever should have a heel winning the main event, in any circumstance.

• 2 weeks later...