Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-12-BattlARTS] Yuki Ishikawa & Carl Greco vs Alexander Otsuka & Mohammed Yone

soup23

If you must start a match JIP, there is worse ways than Otsuka dropkicking ishikawa right on the head. I thought Yone looked better here than usual and it makes sense as he pulls off the really surprising choke win on Ishikawa. That finish really took me by surprise. This was the best Yone had looked at his kicks and precision. We only get about five minutes of an 18 minute match. NR.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely wish we could have had this in full considering the talent involved. Agreed that this is the best I've ever seen Yone look, as typically I'm not a fan of his at all. Carl Greco shows up! Let's hope it's not too long before we see him again, and in a complete match given lots of time at that!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Decent looking match from what we saw. Greco is one of my favourites and Ishikawa is on another level from anyone in Japan in '00. Truly the heir to Fujiwara and a master craftsman in his own right. The selling he did on the chokehold was sublime. Yone wasn't great but he worked more effectively than in previous bouts.

I don't think I've ever seen that move Greco hit on Yone that looked like a ddt on the knees. That had to suck for Yone. For a 5-minute JIP match, this was pretty good. Yone wins with a nasty choke. I guess the first 10 minute was mostly mat work since it was cut off.

• 7 months later...

Not much else to add. Otsuka rocking the flamed out singlet and Yone the flame tipped pants. Greco's double arm facebuster onto the knee looked gnarly and it busted Yone’s nose. Love Ishikawa’s Saito suplex. Otsuka’s counter to Greco coming in to defend Ishikawa’s octopus hold was cool. Yone was whatever but he gets a good head kick in the corner to Ishikawa and then later finishes him off with the choke. As always, Ishikawa's selling is bueno.

This was JIP and clipped, but the few minutes we got looked good. I personally would've preferred if we had some roles changed and had Greco on one side and Ishikawa on one side instead of having them together as they are the two better guys in this match. Their brief exchange from January just left me wanting to see more from them against each other.

Surprisingly enough Otsuka and Yone work well together or at least that's what we're made to believe due to the few minutes we get of this here.

That RNC by Yone was either a shoot or Ishikawa's selling is on another level.

Good stuff.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-12-BattlARTS] Yuki Ishikawa & Carl Greco vs Alexander Otsuka & Mohammed Yone