Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-14-Onita Pro] FM TARO vs Takashi Sasaki

soup23

Fun to see an Onita Pro undercard match and these two guys are banging around FREEDOMS today with Sasaki especially being a big deal within that promotion. Good action here besides a horribly botched Sasuke special. The Korakuen crowd seems appreciative too. A really interesting look at the genesis of the deathmatch workers of the future and even present. **3/4

• 4 weeks later...

This wasn't ambitious, really, but that's kinda nice. I liked this match for these guys just doing something good and basic in a company that does a lot of over the top stuff in the main events. Yes, that one spot was pretty terribly blown, but I liked how FM TARO kept his cool and they didn't lose the crowd because they quickly got the match back on track. I am not really up on either of these guys so I didn't know much what to expect, but if they are death match workers, I guess that's both cool and kind of a shame, because I could see them really evolving into great traditional big title match workers with more experience. ***

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know Sasaki is a former big Japan guy and I think he owns FREEDOMS now. Not sure who TARO is but he impressed me. Sure, he missed that dive badly but he came back with a nice looking SSP. Sasaki also does his best Stan Hansen style Lariat and TARO sells it like death. Basic match but nice for what it was.

• 1 month later...

I thought this was really nice. Sasaki looking like a U-Style guy is near surreal. It's a basic match, but their big moments look real good: Sharp dropkicks, Taro takes a sick bump on a german suplex, great looking DDT etc. They worked the match well enough to make you appreciate the more simple spots like the DDT or lariat. Also gotta give Taro some credit for being able to immediately salvage his blown spot with a beautiful flip dive.

• 6 months later...

Both of these guys have been around Japanese indies for years. They've wrestled for BJW, K-DOJO, DDT, WEW, Apache Army, etc.

FM-TARO was later known as GENTARO in Big Japan and Takashi Sasaki later turned into a BJW death match wrestler and was the top guy there for some years. GENTARO is a huge fan of Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart and his character is based on being a hybrid of them that's why he's wearing the pink and blank and he throws superkicks and has some HBK mannerisms.

They also formed a tag team known as Arkarangers.

This match felt pretty standard. They worked pretty even and it was good showcase of both guys for those not familiar with them.

That Sasuke Special botch was pretty bad, but he more than made up with a nutty dive to follow up.

The crowd was pretty quiet for the majority of it, but by the end they had them engaged enough to respond.

Perfectly fine match.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-14-Onita Pro] FM TARO vs Takashi Sasaki