Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-15-ARSION] Chapparita Asari vs Mary Apache

soup23

Holy shit was this an awesome seven minutes. It looks like we get five minutes clipped but this was just relentless with full of huge spots, big bombs and nice strikes. Mary Apache may be one of the most unheralded great workers of the 2000’s if the Billy Boy vs. Apache feud is as good as I remember. This was a great debut in the decade for her. Always tough to rank these type of matches but in a month with a lot of good stuff but nothing blowaway, this blew me away for the time it was on my screen. ****

• 3 weeks later...

The clips make it where I don't think I can rate this, but yeah, this looked to be a fabulous match. Very cool to see Mary Apache here. She looks pretty brilliant in ARSION, and I'm hoping we have more of her there coming. So did Chapparita Asari, who could do a lot of flippy floppy stuff while also making it look really hurty hurty. Two great individual performances, but more than that, two wrestlers with strong chemistry doing a match that wouldn't have worked had they not clicked so well. I don't think this is a match that can be done even with two great workers if they aren't fully in sync with each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a very opposite response to this match, compared to you guys. I don't care for it much. I felt like they weren't working a match so much as taking turns setting up cool spots. There's no feeling of intensity or competition. It's more like an exhibition.

Also, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get much matwork, since that's the whole point of this promotion. But that is what it is.

All that said, I really liked a few of the moments, and I think both workers are very good from what I've seen elsewhere. Despite my comment regarding low-intensity, there was a really nasty drop kick off of the top turnbuckle that I'm shocked didn't result in a bloody nose. That was really well done. I also dug the reversal that Mary did to get out of a full guard and into a rear choke. That's the kind of grappling that I would like to have seen more from this match, instead of just a bunch of high-flying moves that mean nothing.

And maybe the fact that it was so heavily clipped is what makes it feel like a highlight-reel (instead of a match with a beginning and an end and it flow). So that may not be their fault.

Mari's outfit here was the stuff of nightmares. So many tassles. This was another match that was all chopped up. Wish they had shown us more of the matwork. Mari continues to look really damn good: forceful on the mat, cool power spots, generally great on offense with her chunky flying moves and lariats. She is quickly becoming my most wanted wrestler to see in a real match. There wasn't a ton of selling her but for a 6 minute clip this was fun.

• 1 month later...

What was shown here was excellent but I hated the way it was edited. It created a false rhythm and made it impossible to tell how spotty the bout was. It was cool seeing Mari take to Japan like a female Wagner, though. Not since Esther Moreno had there been a more natural fit for a luchadora in Japan. I'm sure this was better in full.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Once more, the seemingly random nature of the clipping threatens to ruin things but luckily, it doesn't because man, what a 7 minutes. Everything they pulled off hit true and looked great and it felt like a real fight, played out at an awesome speed. Apache looked fantastic with her big power moves all looking like they could have broken Asari in half but when it came to bumping and making Asari look good, she could do that too. The bump into the chairs was a highlight but the way she fed and cut off her comebacks was great; a highlight being when Asari was giving a chance to get back into it after a missed swanton bomb but was soon cut off with a vicious spinning wheel kick. Apache is on the docket of workers I'm going to watch everything from going forward.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-15-ARSION] Chapparita Asari vs Mary Apache