Pro Wrestling Only

Squared Circle Gazette Radio #113 - The Monday Night War Timeline: January 1999

JaymeFuture

Just to drop this in here, the latest Squared Circle Gazette Radio is now online, as we return to the Monday Night War Timeline to talk January 1999! Discussing every Raw, Nitro and PPV of the month, along with detailed backstage notes from the Wrestling Observer and Pro Wrestling Torch newsletters of the time, we break down all the top stories. Analysing January 4th, Tony Schiavone, the Fingerpoke of Doom, the reformation of the nWo, Mankind winning the WWF Title, madness at the Royal Rumble, Halftime Heat, Ric Flair as WCW President, the backlash to the WWF's content, Mark Henry gets a handful, the birth of the Ministry of Darkness, the continued neutering of Bill Goldberg, Sable creates a stir backstage, Russo's work coming to light and much, much more. In addition, we have all the facts and figures of the time which reveal some interesting realities that contradict the WWF's narrative of the month. A very fun show this week, check it out and join us next week as we look at February 1999!

https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/d4qxdt/SCG_Radio_113_-_The_Monday_Night_War_in_January_1999.mp3

A fun show as usual...as for how far to go, I think the departure of the Radicals would be a good stopping point. I can only speak for me but it seemed like that was the moment where there was truly no return and that WCW was forever consigned to #2. Realistically they'd probably already reached that point, but that felt like the death knell. Anything else is just playing out the string, and whatever noteworthy moments came after that seem to be well-covered by the RuView episodes.

'99 is certainly a depressing year, but maybe until the Russo jump you could burn off 2 or 3 months at a time, like in the early shows, and concentrate more on the bigger stories.

Fun show. Is another trial on the horizon?

A fun show as usual...as for how far to go, I think the departure of the Radicals would be a good stopping point. I can only speak for me but it seemed like that was the moment where there was truly no return and that WCW was forever consigned to #2. Realistically they'd probably already reached that point, but that felt like the death knell. Anything else is just playing out the string, and whatever noteworthy moments came after that seem to be well-covered by the RuView episodes.

'99 is certainly a depressing year, but maybe until the Russo jump you could burn off 2 or 3 months at a time, like in the early shows, and concentrate more on the bigger stories.

Agree with this. Nash and Russo had done the major damage and there was no return, especially with that talent loss. And the dysfunction was everywhere.