Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 2/27 - 3/5

stro

First off, I've been incredibly distracted for the past month at how extra robotic and scripted all the promos have been on all shows from all talents. They just seem extra bad lately. The burns in the women's promo and everything Cesaro was talking about were horrific.

Died laughing at Seth's big emotional promo getting CM Punk chants and then silence until HHH came out, then Seth saying he'd be at WM getting the most mild of promos.

Super annoyed with Cesaro having a match where he tweaks his knee in the early going, then Joe focuses on it the rest of the match, but he's still doing dropkicks/double stomps/flying crossbody blocks like nothing happened. Hopefully Joe/Sami at Fastlane will be better than their NXT matches around this time last year.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how his opponent was given a mealy mouth, wishy washy promo to deliver before Hunter H. Christ came out to save the day.

Even when Seth picked up the intensity at the end, the crowd didn't give a shit. This is the second biggest feud going into WM right now and fans gave the injured babyface making his big stand regardless of injury the same reaction they give to any random midcarder winning a match. That sure isn't some nefarious plan by HHH causing all that.

Intentional or not, the writing staff sure isn't doing Seth any favors. Nor does it seem they're even trying to accentuate his strengths/hide his weaknesses.

The only way to do that is to have him not cut promos at all.

I agree and think thats actually a wonderful short-term idea. In fact, I daresay that Triple H himself could've been a bigger babyface star at any single point in his career by just shutting the hell up (save for maybe the original DX run, which, while I could never enjoy rewatching any of it, I must admit to being a fan of when I was 14). Rollins, like HHH, may be funny or charming off TV, but he's always been "jock funny" to me on TV - the kind of guy that thinks he's clever and witty, laughs at his own jokes the hardest, but is actually more engaging and interesting the less he opens his mouth. As a heel, HHH and Rollins' ingratiating speech patterns and self-importance work fine (though, obviously, their endless promos are kind of a necessary evil because of it).

Roman Reigns, similarly, was most over in his feud with Triple H when he stopped talking and just beat the crap out of him all over the place. It may be retreading ground, but watching Rollins and HHH do "verbal sparring" is harming more than helping in terms of making me want to see this match.

What is Rollins actually good at that WWE needs to jump through hoops to protect him? He can't cut promos as a heel or a babyface. He can't really generate heat as a heel in the ring without giving him a whole bunch of help like The Authority, J&J Security, etc. He can't generate sympathy as a babyface through selling. He is way over rated in the ring and generally drags down better opponents to his level.

He's a guy who should have a fraction of the TV time he gets because he should only be working workrate midcard matches where his insistence on doing moves above actually trying to work a crowd & build a match won't be so glaring and out of place. They should be treating him like they treat Cesaro.

What is Rollins actually good at that WWE needs to jump through hoops to protect him? He can't cut promos as a heel or a babyface. He can't really generate heat as a heel in the ring without giving him a whole bunch of help like The Authority, J&J Security, etc. He can't generate sympathy as a babyface through selling. He is way over rated in the ring and generally drags down better opponents to his level.

He's a guy who should have a fraction of the TV time he gets because he should only be working workrate midcard matches where his insistence on doing moves above actually trying to work a crowd & build a match won't be so glaring and out of place. They should be treating him like they treat Cesaro.

I know it's a bit out of the box, but I could actually see a Rusev babyface turn working. He has a certain charm about him. Maybe he and Seth should flip spots on the card.

I know it's a bit out of the box, but I could actually see a Rusev babyface turn working. He has a certain charm about him. Maybe he and Seth should flip spots on the card.

No disagreements from me there, Rusev is better at Seth Rollins at pretty much every aspect of wresting except shit that doesn't matter like ability to do a Phoenix Splash. I think he could definitely have a strong babyface run but I'm not sure the Raw writers are smart enough or ambitious enough to do that.

Randy Orton doing his pose in front of a burning shack has got to be the best image WWE gave us in the past 10 years or so. That whole segment was fantastic television, partly due to how absurd it was.

About Rollins, it's hard to say why or how, but when you look at his run as NXT champ and heel turn as Shield member, he actually WAS a decent promo, which means he got worse with time. Nowadays he's pretty much interchangeable with Apollo Crews - although Crews did have a good match yesterday, better than many a Rollins match against superior talent.

The start and end to SD were fantastic. Miz is just getting better by the week.

And the Bray - Randy stuff, while being totally absurd, killed it for me. Reminded me of Ministry Era Taker segments. I wonder if it isn't a bit risky to put out something like that with PG and shit.

Jack Swagger was on Chael Sonnen's podcast to say he asked for and received his release from WWE. Not really surprised he's done because he hasn't been on Smackdown TV in months and when they didn't even have him outside the ring during the recent lumberjack match I knew they weren't going to use him again.

I don't even know what to think of that Orton thing. For starters, it went on FOREVER. Should have been half as long. Randy's monologue was so overwritten and overwrought, but also hilarious for how stupid it was and for how seriously it was taken. I don't think there is room on the same show for a 6 cam via satellite shoot with live on the fly editing and music with a monologue The Undertaker would balk at doing and promos where guys explicitly destroy the gimmick of their opponent and shit on their booking. You can't have it both ways.

Because of how the rest of the show is structured, you can't over look that Randy had at last 5 camera men and a production truck with him in the middle of the woods to burn down a house "live" while Bray was in the arena presumably at least 1200 miles away while he thought up this long monologue to say and where to stand/when to cut/etc. You can't lean on or break the 4th wall constantly and then run an angle like this that plays it 100% straight.