Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Lutte Internationale March 1985

SirEdger

March 1st, 1985

Palais des Sports, Sherbrooke, QC

-Fatu (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Sting in 8:15

-Richard "Le Magnifique" Charland (w/Frenchy Martin) beat NWA World 6-Men Tag Team Champion Owen Hart in 9:58

-Terry Taylor (w/Sherri Martel) beat The Missing Link in 6:56

-Sheik Ali (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Bob Sweetan (w/Sherri Martel) in 9:21

-Luke Williams beat Baron Von Raschke in 11:24

-Alexis Smirnoff beat NWA World Tag Team Champion Raymond Rougeau in 15:06

NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Ric Flair beat Samu (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) by reverse decision in 15:09. Samu had originally won the match, following interference from Eddy Creatchman, using his cane on Ric Flair but senior referee Adrien Desbois came to the ring and reversed Luigi Macera's decision and DQed Samu for outside interference.

NWA International Heavyweight Championship: Terry Funk beat Rick Martel by outside interference from Alexis Smirnoff in 19:18 to win the title - TITLE CHANGE!!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NWA Lutte Internationale TV

Taped at CHLT-TV Studios, Sherbrooke, QC

Broadcasted March 2nd, 1985

dieu.jpg220px-Nwalogobw.jpg

(After the opening credits, we go to the broadcast booth where Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier are waiting to kick off this week’s show.)

Guy Hauray: Good morning, wrestling fans, and welcome to NWA Lutte Internationale TV. We begin this week’s program with some major breaking news to pass along as we have a new NWA International Heavyweight Champion. Indeed, last night right here in Sherbrooke, Terry Funk captured the NWA International Heavyweight Championship from Rick Martel in controversial fashion as Alexis Smirnoff came in to cost Martel the match and the championship.

Édouard Carpentier: This was one controversial ending, Guy, and there’s no doubt about the fact even a good night of sleep didn’t wash away the stunning events that took place last night. This isn’t a dream or a nightmare, it’s the real thing; Terry Funk is now the NWA International Heavyweight Champion!

Guy Hauray: We have some exclusive footage of the match as well as post-match commentary with the ever so humble new International Heavyweight Champion, Terry Funk, as we tried to get explanations for what happened.

*****EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE*******

(We’re brought to the final moments of the match as Rick Martel and Terry Funk are furiously exchanging right hands and referee Adrien Desbois is trying to separate both men but Martel accidentally clips Desbois in the eye with his elbow as Martel winded up to swing at Funk again. The exchange continues as Desbois is momentarily out of commission and Funk swings at Martel again but Martel dodges and nails an Atomic Drop on Funk! The Funker goes down and Martel grabs his legs and locks in a Boston Crab, right in the middle of the ring. Funk is trying to fight back as much as he can but eventually, he taps out...but there’s no referee! Martel relinquishes the hold and goes checking on the referee when out of nowhere, Alexis Smirnoff runs in from the dressing room with his Soviet flag in tow! As Martel tries to wake the referee up, Smirnoff connects with the flag behind Martel’s neck! Martel is out cold and Smirnoff drags Funk over Martel before waking the referee. Smirnoff flees as the referee, unaware of what just happened, makes the 3-count as Terry Funk is now the new NWA International Heavyweight Champion! The fans in attendance are utterly disgusted by what happened and they don’t hesitate to show their frustration as security ushers the new champion away to the back.

We then cut to Funk’s dressing room as a local reporter talks to Funk.)

Reporter: Mr. Funk, do you care to explain what just happened out there?

Terry Funk: Dontcha want to congratulate me first, son? Is this how you greet your new NWA International Heavyweight Champion?

Reporter: Well....

Terry Funk: My goodness....you didn’t think I would win tonight, did ya? You thought that Rick Martel would walk out of here the champion, just like everyone else here tonight, huh? Well, guess what: you were all wrong. You’re looking at a real champion! A real man! Not a pretty boy wuss like Rick Martel! I’m talking about a real man that will defend this championship day in and day out everywhere in the National Wrestling Alliance. Do you realize now, son, what this means? Do you realize that this championship belt right there makes me the most powerful man in the NWA along with Ric Flair? This means that before anyone can even think of going after Ric Flair’s World Heavyweight Championship, they’re gonna have to go through me first. And they ain’t nobody good enough to beat me. I’ll hold this title forever, do you understand me? FOREVER!

Reporter: Don’t you wanna also thank Alexis Smirnoff for handing you that title?

Terry Funk: Well, as a matter of fact, young man, I already did. Of course, I thanked him. I’m an honourable & kind individual. And to show him my gratitude, I’m gonna give him a chance at my championship in 2 weeks from now, March 15th in Baysville, Ontario. But don’t fret, my friend, because I can already tell you that I’m gonna show up at the Montreal Forum next Friday night and I’ll have my first title defense. I don’t know against whom yet but I can assure you that it won’t be Rick Martel. I’m gonna be defending this championship against real men from now on. Trust me, ain’t no way that Rick Martel is ever seeing that belt again. So, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll grab myself a beer because I think I deserve it!

(We cut back to the broadcast booth as Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier are now joined by promoter Frank Valois.)

Guy Hauray: Back to the studios and obviously, Frank Valois, I’m sure that this isn’t something that pleased you.

Frank Valois: Well, Guy, it is what it is. The referee’s decision is final and while it was controversial, we can’t strip Terry Funk of the championship so he’s officially the NWA International Heavyweight Champion. But Rick Martel is entitled to a rematch and I can assure you that down the road, he will get his rematch for the championship.

Édouard Carpentier: But, in the meantime, one thing that you can do something about is the title picture for the NWA World Tag Team Championship. Many teams showed their interest last week to challenge the Rougeau Brothers for their titles. And this is the reason why you’re here right now.

Frank Valois: Yes, I am, Mr. Carpentier. With how the show ended last week, this isn’t something that I can let linger and do nothing about because it’s only gonna get worse. So, that’s why I came up with a solution that we’ll put in application right here this week. Here’s what’s gonna happen: in just a few moments, we’ll put our entire tag team division in a battle royal and the winning team will not only win the right to face the Rougeau Brothers for the NWA World Tag Team Championship but they’re also gonna have their opportunity later on the show. We’re gonna settle this once and for all so that the Rougeaus can move on to their next set of challengers because there also are tag teams in Mid-Atlantic who want their shot at the Rougeaus.

Guy Hauray: Wow! Thank you , Frank Valois, for that stunning announcement. It’s gonna happen right here today! So, Eddie, any prediction as to who will win?

Édouard Carpentier: I’ll be honest with you, Guy, I don’t have a clue who’ll win this one. So many tag teams are worthy of getting their shot at the Rougeau Brothers; it’s anyone’s guess!

Guy Hauray: And we won’t have to wait long to find out who it will be because this battle royal will happen when we come back!

****COMMERCIAL BREAK****

Match #1

Tag Team Battle Royal

Participants: The Sensationals (Sweetan & Oliver), The Sheepherders, Carlos Colon & Hercules Ayala, The Zambuie Express, Frenchy’s Legion, Baron Von Raschke & Gilles Poisson, The Samoan SWAT Team, The Midnight Express, The Wild Samoans, The Dellaserras and Tito Senza & Serge Jodoin

Before the match starts, the broadcast team explains the rules that in order to eliminate one team from the battle royal, you only need to eliminate one member of the team to accomplish that. As expected, both the Dellaserras and the tandem of Tito Senza & Serge Jodoin don’t last long as they’re the two first casualties of the battle royal. The broadcast team is also surprised that Sherri Martel didn’t also send Billy Robinson & Terry Taylor in the battle royal as the Creatchman Family have 2 teams involved in that battle royal. Everything seems to be going smoothly until Chicky Starr shows up to the ringside area and while Carlos Colon and Dennis Condrey were struggling to eliminate each other, Chicky climbed on the apron and pulled Colon over the top rope by his hair to eliminate him! Carlos is furious and goes immediately after Chicky Starr! In the meantime, the Creatchman Family is working together to try eliminating the Sheepherders and they almost are successful but Fatu is thrown over the top rope by Butch Miller! In the meantime, Baron Von Raschke & Gilles Poisson are working surprisingly well together and they’re able to eliminate Mad Dog Lefebvre & Richard Charland! The Midnight Express are next to go after the Sheepherders and it’s a miscue between Randy Rose and Dennis Condrey that provokes the demise of Jim Cornette’s tag team! Next eliminated are the Zambuie Express, thanks to an incredible feat of strength (and perseverance!) by the Wild Samoans! But the Samoans have no time to celebrate as Bob Sweetan sneaks behind Sika and send him over the top rope! We’re now down to the Sheepherders, the Sensationals & the unlikely duo of Von Raschke & Poisson! It seems like the Sensationals want to work a truce with the Sheepherders to focus on Von Raschke & Poisson. It becomes a 3-team brawl as all 6-men exchange right hands and position themselves in a respective corner to try eliminating the other team. But no team is quite an expert at brawling like The Sheepherders are and they take control of the ring and they’re about to eliminate Gilles Poisson as they have Poisson set up in the air for the double gutbuster! However, Rip Oliver charge Luke Williams with a football tackle, making him lose his balance and eventually, both Poisson AND Williams fly over the top rope! The match is over and the Sensationals are now facing the Rougeaus later in the show! Sherri Martel comes down running to the ring and is ecstatic as she now seems to believe that it’s a done deal that her men will walk out of this week’s show as NWA World Tag Team Champions!

Winners and facing the Rougeaus later on: The Sensationals (Rip Oliver & Bob Sweetan)

******COMMERCIAL BREAK****

Match #2

Sting vs The Spoiler

After being successful last week in beating Gilles Poisson, Sting is now entering his final TV match before the Young Lions Cup tournament by facing another savvy veteran in The Spoiler, who secured a huge win over Sika last week with his dreaded Claw. The broadcast team questions if it was a smart move by Sting to take this match so close to him heading to Japan. While Sting is showing some tremendous heart & speed against The Spoiler, he’s unfortunately not experienced enough to neutralize The Spoiler, who secures the victory once again this week his infamous Iron Claw. The broadcast booth hypes up The Spoiler’s winning streak and how a title shot could be soon in play for him!

Winner: The Spoiler

*********COMMERCIAL BREAK*********

MAIN EVENT

Match #3

NWA World Tag Team Championship

The Rougeau Brothers vs The Sensationals (Rip Oliver & Bob Sweetan, w/Sherri Martel)

Despite having competed in a match less than 30 minutes ago, Sherri Martel’s protégés seem to still be in great shape but especially motivated for this title opportunity. Jacques starts the match against Rip Oliver and early on, the champions have the upper hand, given they’re in tip-top condition and in fresh shape, compared to the Sensationals. Quick exchanges early show the ever-so-great continuity in the Rougeaus tag team work, very much praised by the broadcast team. However, it takes only one mistake to turn the tide in a match and it’s a Jacques mistake that allows Rip Oliver & Bob Sweetan to take control of the match. Even though the neck & head problems are now past Jacques Rougeau, it’s in those areas that Bob Sweetan & Rip Oliver are working on to soften up the younger Rougeau. The Sensationals come within an eyelash to win the tag titles with a spike piledriver on Jacques but Raymond’s save was the difference there. Finally, the Rougeaus regain the momentum when Sweetan & Oliver go for a second spike piledriver but Jacques blocked and sent Sweetan crashing into Oliver in the corner, allowing himself to make the tag to brother Raymond. Raymond cleans house and the crowd goes into a frenzy as the Rougeaus mount the irresistible comeback. Finally, Jacques joins Raymond in the ring and Rip Oliver falls prey to La Bombe Rougeau, giving the Rougeaus a successful title defense! This week’s episode ends with the Rougeau Brothers celebrating in the ring while a dejected Sherri Martel retreats backstage with her men.

Winners and still champions: The Rougeau Brothers

20111012-052508-g.jpg

À LA SEMAINE PROCHAINE SI DIEU LE VEUT!

March 2nd, 1985

Brampton, Ontario

-Baron Von Raschke beat Alexis Smirnoff in 9:39

-The Midnight Express (w/Jim Cornette) beat Chicky Starr & Carlos Colon in 13:12 after Chicky Starr leaving Colon alone to fend for himself. Prior to the match, Chicky was able to convince Colon he wanted to start over and reunite the Caribbean Connection and Colon fell for it...

-The Zambuie Express (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat The Sensationals (Rip Oliver & Bob Sweetan, w/Sherri Martel) in 15:45

NWA International TV Championship: Gino Brito beat Mad Dog Lefebvre (w/Frenchy Martin) in 17:08 to retain

I say it each time I read a show from Lutte but it is so true. You have some of the best names in the business and they all seem to be in the right spot. Now we throw in Terry Funk and give him a belt for everyone to chase is great, I would love watch your tag teams battle it out from supremacy because you are also stacked there.

There are still many names that I am not very familiar with in Lutte but you I am getting the hang of it and starting to find out who was big in Montreal and who wasn't.

Thanks, doing my best every time. It's not exactly the same roster that they had in Montreal back then (especially since in real life, Vince was about to start his raid in the territory) but the local guys were very much those involved in the promotion at that time. Just adding a little twist with our current game! ;)

March 3rd, 1985

Centre Paul-Sauvé, Montréal

-Alexis Smirnoff beat Sting in 4:55

10-Men Elimination Tag Team Match: The Wild Samoans, Steve Strong, NWA International Heavyweight Champion Terry Funk & NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair beat Bob Backlund, Hercules Ayala, NWA International Tag Team Champion Rick Martel & Nick Bockwinkel in 47:03. Terry Funk & Ric Flair were the sole survivors.

Key highlights:

-After being eliminated by Nick Bockwinkel, the rookie Steve Strong snapped and assaulted Nick Bockwinkel. That later lead to Ric Flair eliminating Nick Bockwinkel by submission via the Figure Four Leglock

-A miscue between Hercules Ayala and Rick Martel led to Ayala being eliminated by Terry Funk at the end of the match, as Funk & Flair and Ayala & Martel were the last men for their respective teams. After Ayala being eliminated, he slapped Martel in the face, which gave Funk enough time to roll up Martel and eliminate him with a hold of tights, thus securing the win for his team.

March 8th, 1985

Forum de Montréal

forum1.jpg

Steel Cage Match: Carlos Colon beat Randy Rose (w/Jim Cornette) in 13:36

-Richard "Le Magnifique" Charland (w/Frenchy Martin) beat Sam Houston in 10:39

-The Spoiler beat Grappler #1 in 10:41

-NWA International Tag Team Champion Rick Martel beat Hercules Ayala in 15:47

-Nick Bockwinkel beat Steve Strong in 14:01

-The Sheepherders beat Samu & the debuting Great Kabuki (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) in 13:47

Triangle Match: The debuting Boris Zhukov beat Nord the Barbarian & NWA World Tag Team Champion Jacques Rougeau in 35:59. Rougeau first eliminated Nord the Barbarian but Zhukov used the Soviet flag behind the referee's back to secure the win over Rougeau!

NWA International Heavyweight Championship: Terry Funk beat Rip Oliver (w/Sherri Martel) in 37:04 to retain

Was just wondering if Zhukov, a Russian would get as much heat in Montreal as in the U.S? Also, I think this is the first time I ever predicted the winners of each of your matches. I enjoyed all of your top guys coming out with the victories here as it sets up for a crowded top with scores to be settled.

Was just wondering if Zhukov, a Russian would get as much heat in Montreal as in the U.S? Also, I think this is the first time I ever predicted the winners of each of your matches. I enjoyed all of your top guys coming out with the victories here as it sets up for a crowded top with scores to be settled.

That's a good question. This wasn't really an avenue exploited back then in the territory. The biggest "foreign" heel in the territory all those years ago was Hans Schmidt and in reality, he was a French Canadian from Joliette. So that's an interesting avenue for me to go with this time.

Tag Team Battle Royal's! Great idea, and execution. A ton of love for the tag team division, which I'm a big fan of.

Terry Funk being the International Heavyweight Champion. Amazing. As always, great work with your roster and including the MACW travelers. I hope to get that well oiled of a machine going in MACW.

***Exceptionnally, because of time constraints and because I don't wanna fall behind on my show schedule, this week's TV will be done in form of a recap. Things will go back to normal next week!***

NWA Lutte Internationale TV

Taped at CHLT-TV Studios, Sherbrooke, QC

Broadcasted March 9th, 1985

dieu.jpg220px-Nwalogobw.jpg

After a last couple of hectic weeks of TV, things were a little bit calmer this week. But still, that didn't mean that we wouldn't get a good main event as this week, Sika of the Wild Samoans went one-on-one with one half of the NWA World Tag Team Champions Jacques Rougeau. But that didn't mean we weren't in for a surprise!

To start the show, Bob Backlund went one-on-one with the masked grappler UFO in a showcase of the former WWF Champion's technical skills. To no one's surprise, the veteran from Princeton, Minnesota grabbed an easy victory. After the match, Backlund was interviewed by Édouard Carpentier at the broadcast booth and Backlund made no bones about his intentions of eventually going after Terry Funk & the NWA International Heavyweight Championship. That brought up Terry's big brother, Dory Funk Jr, who confronted Backlund over his claim. Dory told Backlund that if he wants a shot at his brother's championship, he's gonna have to go through him first. Backlund says that he's got no problem with that and that they could settle this tomorrow night at the Centre Paul-Sauvé in a singles match. Dory accepts and the match is made for tomorrow night!

Speaking of Terry Funk, video footage of Terry's recent attacks on NWA US Heavyweight Champion Magnum TA were shown in various Mid-Atlantic events. Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier hype that Terry Funk will go one-on-one with Magnum TA at the Clash of The Champions TV special in 2 weeks for the United States Championship. They discuss what would it mean if Terry would become a dual champion and how much more dangerous this would make him.

Still on the topic of Terry Funk, the man who allowed him to win the NWA International Heavyweight Championship, Alexis Smirnoff crashed the broadcast booth and he wasn't alone as he was accompanied by his newest ally, Boris Zhukov, who debuted the night before at the Forum, scoring a huge win on Jacques Rougeau in a Triangle Match. Smirnoff wants a Bolshevik Revolution to take over NWA Lutte Internationale. He cites in example the success of Ivan Koloff & Nikita Koloff elsewhere to show that the Soviet Union is the most dominant power, not only in professional wrestling but in the world. Zhukov vows to make sure that Alexis Smirnoff beats Terry Funk for his title when he gets his title shot. Smirnoff also claims that the Bolshevik Revolution found a new ally, who'll be revealed very soon.

Before the main event, Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier hype a Lutte vs Mid-Atlantic special next week. Sam Houston, Bob Orton, Magnum TA, Superstar Billy Graham & Terry Funk will ALL be in action next week!

In the main event, a rekindled rivalry - at least, half of it - as Sika of the Wild Samoans battled Jacques Rougeau. As expected, the intensity was as high as it was the first time they met last September. After a grueling battle, Jacques' speed and athleticism overcame Sika's brute strength & aggressiveness. Jacques Rougeau was interviewed in the end of the show by Édouard Carpentier and was joined by his brother Raymond. It was announced that the Rougeaus would be defending the NWA World Tag Team Championship against the Rock N' Roll Express at Clash of the Champions. Jacques said it will be an honor for them to defend their titles against one of the best tag teams in the world and they plan on retaining their titles. Raymond added that this would be a dream match coming true and they'd plan on stealing the show at Clash of the Champions, proving why they're the very best tag team in the world today. The Rougeaus concluded the show by reminding every tag team in the world that if they want a shot at them, they won't back down from anyone.

20111012-052508-g.jpg

À LA SEMAINE PROCHAINE SI DIEU LE VEUT!

March 9th, 1985

Hespeler, ON

-Nord the Barbarian (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Sam Houston in 11:22

-Grappler #1 beat The Missing Link in 12:20

-Luke Williams beat Gilles Poisson in 13:32

-The Spoiler & UFO beat The Bolshevik Revolution by DQ after Boris Zhukov hit the Spoiler with the Soviet Flag in 18:48

Guest Referee - Nick Bockwinkel: Randy Rose (w/Jim Cornette) beat Steve Strong in 5:50. Strong got into it with Bockwinkel and even slapped him in the face. Bockwinkel retaliated with a right hand, allowing Rose to roll-up Strong and Bockwinkel made a rather quick count for the victory.

-NWA World Tag Team Champion Raymond Rougeau bat Ray Stevens in 13:34

-Dennis Condrey (w/Jim Cornette) beat Dory Funk Jr in 9:33

NWA International Heavyweight Championship: Terry Funk beat NWA World Tag Team Champion Jacques Rougeau in 19:44 to retain

Sorry about that. That's something I need to be more careful about, even if it's not something major. I usually do this because I think people might picture different kinds of finishes when they read the results. But I always indicate when there's a DQ or CO when necessary. So, if there's no specifics included, it's either by pinfall or submission. ;)

March 10th, 1985

Centre Paul-Sauvé, Montréal

Best 2-out-of-3 Falls Match: Baron Von Raschke beat Gilles Poisson in 11:22 2 falls to 1. Von Raschke won the 1st fall with the Iron Claw; Poisson won the 2nd fall with a school boy; Von Raschke won the 3rd fall after interference from Boris Zhukov after Von Raschke inadvertantly clotheslined referee Luigi Macera. Von Raschke & Zhukov shake hands and are joined by Alexis Smirnoff. Baron Von Raschke joins the Bolshevik Revolution!

-Mad Dog Lefebvre (w/Frenchy Martin) beat Luke Williams in 10:05

-UFO upsets Dennis Condrey (w/Jim Cornette & Randy Rose) in 5:31. Postmatch, The Midnight Express attacked the masked wrestler and hit a double flapjack on UFO!

-Boris Zhukov (w/Baron Von Raschke) beat Billy Robinson (w/Sherri Martel) in 15:59 with a handful of tights

-Dory Funk Jr beat Bob Backlund in 11:27

NWA International Heavyweight Championship: Terry Funk beat The Spoiler in 75:14 to retain