Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Fastlane

Ricky Jackson

WM is a month away and they've passed up two perfect opportunities for Sasha to turn on Bayley in a way that would actually get some heel heat, Charlotte lost her title/rematch/streak, and there's literally no other woman to challenge Bayley besides Sasha. The fuck are they doing?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WM is a month away and they've passed up two perfect opportunities for Sasha to turn on Bayley in a way that would actually get some heel heat, Charlotte lost her title/rematch/streak, and there's literally no other woman to challenge Bayley besides Sasha. The fuck are they doing?

The same 4 way that's been earmarked for Mania for quite some time. Bayley/Sasha, presumably with a heel Sasha, will have to wait till summer.

I don't like Owens but this booking is extremely short-sighted. Sacrifice someone who they see as a major star in the future to put over a feud between old part timers. The Jericho thing atleast mitigates it a bit.

The problem is that KO's universal title run was very, very bad. It felt more like a comedy midcard geeky act than someone who they actually see as a major star. I'd much, much rather see him step down the card for a while and see this sort of special attraction match at Wrestlemania 33 than him stinking it up against Jericho for the, at worst, #2 title in the company

I don't like Owens but this booking is extremely short-sighted. Sacrifice someone who they see as a major star for the future to put over a feud between old part timers. The Jericho thing atleast mitigates it a bit.

I don't think they do see KO as a major star for the future. He only got the title because Balor got hurt and his reign has clearly been a holding pattern until WM season. In the end, his match with Jericho has 6 months more build and will probably be literally 5x longer than Brock/Goldberg and be a match people remember a lot more than the title match. I don't think it hurts KO at all because he didn't have any credibility as a champion to begin with, only winning and being champion to set up the HHH/Rollins match to begin with.

Before Balor got hurt, KO was feuding with Enzo and Cass

I think Owens will be fine. Brock is winning the title at mania and will be part time and Goldberg is leaving. He'll still be one of the main guys on Raw and probably the de facto #1 heel in terms of full timers. My guess is he and Joe will be top heels on Raw in the summer as part of some NXT/Authority amalgamation feuding with Reigns and Rollins and those types

What the finish of the women's match should remind everyone of is that while the women's revolution is getting there, it's still not quite...getting there.

All of the stupid, illogical and lame stuff the Raw women have been doing lately has been waved away every time by one sentence: "It's because Charlotte/Bayley/Sasha/Nia is the Mania match."

OK, why is that the Mania match? Because they want to get all the top Raw women on the card.

OK...but why do they all have to be in the same match? Because women are still their own little segregated subset of the show and only get their designated 1 (one) 10 minute match per brand for Wrestlemania, a show that is 76 hours long.

There are a bunch of men at the top of the Raw card (Roman, Braun, Owens, Jericho, Rollins, Brock, Goldberg) but they're not going to throw them all in one big multi-man match that makes no sense just to "get them on the card". Of course not, they're going to build to many different showcase singles matches and title matches that reflect storylines and the shows. But they can't do that for women. Women we can only spare one match for. So we get a whole bunch of convoluted nonsense that makes no sense (like the most pure babyface to ever step on God's green earth CHEATING to beat the hated heel and destroy her perfect record) just to get all four girls in a room together so they can book a four-way title match.

Because it's either that, or not have someone as popular as Sasha on the card at all apparently. Those are the only avenues available for female Superstars.

You're right, of course, but card management is a big problem in general. Is Zayn going to get a singles match? Is Joe? Is Braun? Is Harper? We did just have a Smackdown PPV with 3 women's matches, right? Mania's tough because all of the bullshit. They've never figured out a way around it. I think, personally, I'd much rather have a Wrestlemania VII with a lot of fun little showcase matches than a bunch of 25 minute "epics." I know I'm not in the majority though.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Even more looooooooool, Bray vs Orton is going to headline over Brock/Goldberg for the title :lol:

People still believe that whole "Royal Rumble winner headlines WrestleMania!" talking point even though there have been NUMEROUS times that's not been true?

You're right, of course, but card management is a big problem in general. Is Zayn going to get a singles match? Is Joe? Is Braun? Is Harper? We did just have a Smackdown PPV with 3 women's matches, right? Mania's tough because all of the bullshit. They've never figured out a way around it. I think, personally, I'd much rather have a Wrestlemania VII with a lot of fun little showcase matches than a bunch of 25 minute "epics." I know I'm not in the majority though.

No I get that, and it's tough trying to fit everyone onto Mania, but it's about priorities.

The top male wrestlers WILL get top singles matches/title matches/showcase matches at Mania. It's when you get down to the midcard or leftover guys where they'll get thrown into a random undercard match or the battle royal to get them on the show. Jobbers will struggle to make it on.

But the top female wrestlers WILL get thrown into their random undercard matches to get them on the show. Everyone below them misses out.

The women have kind of made it from the absolute bottom of that Midcard/Throw Them On Somewhere tier to the top of it. That's progress I guess. But they're still ways away from cracking the top tier. They flirted with it by having them main event a B PPV and Raw and stuff (and again I'm not complaining about that kind of progress) but when you get to Mania you see where their REAL priorities lie. And at Mania the clock strikes midnight and the women have to go back into their box. We need the time for the real stars.

Like, the fact that the women have come so far in the last 12 months kind of makes it worse. During the year they can main event PPVs and TV and have 30 minute title matches and stuff. They've shown that they have the workers and the popularity to do it. But they won't even consider building two separate women's issues for Mania. They won't even consider building to some epic, 30 minute title match like the men get. The best they can do is shoehorn them into the same lone title match spot that they always get. But this time, they'll get 15 minutes to work instead of 3.

I haven't watched Raw in months so I don't know about crowd reactions, but man did these fans hate Roman. This didn't seem like a smarky crowd either. Is Vince just going to keep trying to force this Roman baby face ace thing until he croaks? Beating Taker will make him even more hated.

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Even more looooooooool, Bray vs Orton is going to headline over Brock/Goldberg for the title :lol:

People still believe that whole "Royal Rumble winner headlines WrestleMania!" talking point even though there have been NUMEROUS times that's not been true?

WrestleMania XXVII even had the Rumble winner, Alberto del Rio, open the PPV and lose the championship match to Edge.

Jimmy is making some good points about the womens Wrestlemania setup. Ultimately the advance of the division has been an evolution over time rather than a revolution. They're finally figuring it out, but progress will continue to be gradual. Presumably there's also going to be a Smackdown womens title match at WM. The only previous Mania's to feature multiple matches were 04 and 06. And on both occasions it was one proper match and one contest with Playboy in the title. So two serious matches and a mixed tag would represent progress.

I'd much rather have a Wrestlemania VII with a lot of fun little showcase matches than a bunch of 25 minute "epics." I know I'm not in the majority though.

You're definitely not alone in feeling that way, either. One (self-conscious) **EPIC** match per card is *plenty* in my book, even for the biggest shows of the year.