Photo

People's perception of wrestler's sizes.

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#21 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

I do think you should at least be a certain size to be a wrestler. There's room for people of all body types, but too much of any look makes it less special. I think you can do a lot more when people buy that you could hurt someone.

#22 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Cheeseburger is the scrawniest dude in wrestling history and is amazingly over, and I've yet to see someone complain about that.

ZSJ just need to work on his arms a lil' bite more, IMO. He's built like Giant Baba from Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, almost.

#23 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

I'm not saying anything about should or shouldn't. People are going to get judged on their appearances no matter what, Grimmas, and especially in a profession where people stand in their underwear in front of audiences. That's going to happen forever no matter how much you'd like it to not happen.

Zack Sabre Jr. got way more guff about his body than Chris Hero in the last year.

Yeah and I will call people out on it every time. Its bullshit.

I haven't heard anything about ZSJ but those comments would be wrong too.

#24 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

Cheeseburger is the scrawniest dude in wrestling history and is amazingly over, and I've yet to see someone complain about that.

ZSJ just need to work on his arms a lil' bite more, IMO. He's built like Giant Baba from Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, almost.

People rip Cheeseburger all the time for being too thin.

He is also a lower card guy though.

#25 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

He's also an outright comedy guy whose tiny frame is like...the main point of the comedy. Grimmas, you can have your one man battle, but confronting people every time they say something that you think might be offensive to someone somewhere is just going to make people push harder against you and that.

#26 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

If people could stop body shaming in this thread, that would be greatly appreciated.

#27 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Could it be that Bubba was brought in to help with some of the backstage stuff Kevin Kelly used to do? Like others said, I don't really see him being used as a top level guy, but as an office guy/part timer/maybe mouthpiece for some of the youngsters might not be the worst use of him.

#28 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Could it be that Bubba was brought in to help with some of the backstage stuff Kevin Kelly used to do? Like others said, I don't really see him being used as a top level guy, but as an office guy/part timer/maybe mouthpiece for some of the youngsters might not be the worst use of him.

Very possible. He did help with business and booking in ECW. He did run some kind of training business, didn't he? I think I heard he helped with TNA creative as well, but not sure about that.

#29 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

If people could stop body shaming in this thread, that would be greatly appreciated.

You seem to think even acknowledging the appearance of another person is automatically body shaming, though. Saying someone is skinny or overweight is not inherently shaming. So what you're really asking is to not discuss the physical appearance of any wrestler in this thread.

#30 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

How you look is a big part of being a wrestler. One of the more important things along with in-ring work, charisma, mic skills and character/gimmick.

#31 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5139 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

Aesthetics are unquestionably a part of professional wrestling.  There are many other factors that drive opportunity and success, but it seems odd to discount or ignore any one factor -- whether it be appearance, various qualities in the ring, charisma, mic work and other intangibles.  Perhaps it'd be preferable if we could say that only certain factors were relevant, but its just not that simple.

#32 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

You seem to think even acknowledging the appearance of another person is automatically body shaming, though. Saying someone is skinny or overweight is not inherently shaming. So what you're really asking is to not discuss the physical appearance of any wrestler in this thread.

It's the context. Also, like I stated a thousand times, what does overweight even mean? You have no idea what an individual's ideal weight is, so how do you know they are over or under weight.

Yeah, actually it would be great if you could stop talking about wrestler's physical appearance. There is context that it's fine, like how it works towards their character or whatever. However that majority of the time it's just pointless stuff that adds to the major issue in society about weight, bodies, body shaming, eating disorders, etc..

#33 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Aesthetics are unquestionably a part of professional wrestling.  There are many other factors that drive opportunity and success, but it seems odd to discount or ignore any one factor -- whether it be appearance, various qualities in the ring, charisma, mic work and other intangibles.  Perhaps it'd be preferable if we could say that only certain factors were relevant, but its just not that simple.

How you look is a big part of being a wrestler. One of the more important things along with in-ring work, charisma, mic skills and character/gimmick.

Is it? If so why? 

Is it important in UFC?

Somebodies body doesn't matter to me when it comes to them as a wrestler, why would it?

#34 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

Size isn't important in the UFC because they have weight classes that will keep ridiculous size disparities from happening unlike wrestling where every time I see people say Finn Balor needs to wrestle The Undertaker at Mania I just roll my eyes because he's 100 lbs lighter and a foot shorter and it would look ridiculous.

#35 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

Size isn't important in the UFC because they have weight classes that will keep ridiculous size disparities from happening unlike wrestling where every time I see people say Finn Balor needs to wrestle The Undertaker at Mania I just roll my eyes because he's 100 lbs lighter and a foot shorter and it would look ridiculous.

Here you are talking about height. I have no issues with that, nor does anybody else. Talk about height all you want. See how you can have a discussion without any body shaming there. It's not that hard.

#36 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10424 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

Very possible. He did help with business and booking in ECW. He did run some kind of training business, didn't he? I think I heard he helped with TNA creative as well, but not sure about that.

Him and D-Von ran (are still running?) a wrestling school, and I'm pretty sure he was doing a lot of the creative during his TNA run everyone loved. If ROH's office is as much of a mess as it seems, he could be a good asset to fix things as long as he can avoid having a Twitter meltdown. 

#37 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

OF COURSE looks are important in UFC. You think Page Van Zant and Sage Northcutt got the promotion they got because of their skills? Do you really think UFC cards are based on talent and win/loss records as opposed to marketability? There's a reason why Ronda Rousey got the super media push she got as opposed to a fighter like Cyborg or Amanda Nunes. There's a reason why Mighty Mouse might be the P4P best fighter in UFC for years, yet people aren't interested at all in buying his fights.

Go to any MMA board and look at how guys that get off steroids or TRT are savaged for how they look afterwards. It's very important to MMA companies and MMA fans as well. Just because someone's body doesn't matter to YOU doesn't mean it doesn't matter to OTHER PEOPLE, and constantly nagging them to think like you isn't going to change dick.

#38 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Here you are talking about height. I have no issues with that, nor does anybody else. Talk about height all you want. See how you can have a discussion without any body shaming there. It's not that hard.

I also said he's 100 pounds lighter and that's just as important as the height difference. It DOES matter. Zack Sabre Jr's deal of dominating people with technical wrestling doesn't work if the guy he's wrestling is a lot heavier and looks strong enough to just force his way out of holds.

#39 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

Is it? If so why? 

Is it important in UFC?

Somebodies body doesn't matter to me when it comes to them as a wrestler, why would it?

You've never liked a wrestler because of their look? You never thought ____ is cool, _____ is really pretty and I wanna hit that or  I wish I looked like ____?

>Is it important in UFC?

Definitely. Your size determines which division you compete in first off. You get too out of shape and you might not make weight. I hear every event about how ____ looks like they are in  _____ shape.  People like Paige VanZant got a huge advantage because of their looks in sponsors, opportunities and interest.

PRIDE and K1 were masters of using this. Bob Sapp became a superstar off of his looks and charisma and people like Giant Silva got booked solely for being tall.

>Somebodies body doesn't matter to me when it comes to them as a wrestler, why would it?

Might not be important to you. Vince has given some people the rocket ship based on little more than looks and given great wrestlers the shaft because of their looks. I've seen bigger threads on some places about which wrestler is going bald than matches I thought were MOTYC's.

#40 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:13 PM

OF COURSE looks are important in UFC. You think Page Van Zant and Sage Northcutt got the promotion they got because of their skills? Do you really think UFC cards are based on talent and win/loss records as opposed to marketability? There's a reason why Ronda Rousey got the super media push she got as opposed to a fighter like Cyborg or Amanda Nunes. There's a reason why Mighty Mouse might be the P4P best fighter in UFC for years, yet people aren't interested at all in buying his fights.

Go to any MMA board and look at how guys that get off steroids or TRT are savaged for how they look afterwards. It's very important to MMA companies and MMA fans as well. Just because someone's body doesn't matter to YOU doesn't mean it doesn't matter to OTHER PEOPLE, and constantly nagging them to think like you isn't going to change dick.

Sorry I don't follow UFC enough. If people with society perfect bodies get advantages over others, that's pretty messed up. UFC is a sport.

As for your last sentence, I'm sorry I completely disagree with you. Yes, others feel it's important to them. That's not the issue. The issue is criticizing the bodies of great athletes calling them too fat or too skinny is a disaster for society. It adds to so many problems and is a practice that needs to be stopped. If you want to think to yourself whatever you want, go for it. However, I will call out body shaming every time. Not because it's my personal preference, it's because it's actually harmful.

I also said he's 100 pounds lighter and that's just as important as the height difference. It DOES matter. Zack Sabre Jr's deal of dominating people with technical wrestling doesn't work if the guy he's wrestling is a lot heavier and looks strong enough to just force his way out of holds.

Taker is 100 pounds heavier, because he is a bigger man. That's not body shaming in any way. There is nothing wrong with that. Again with the ZSJ comment, that isn't shaming anyone.

You've never liked a wrestler because of their look? You never thought ____ is cool, _____ is really pretty and I wanna hit that or  I wish I looked like ____?

In the past sure, before I realized how fucked up the whole society and medical industry is when it comes to heath and weight.

Also, my personal opinion and my public opinion don't have to align. If I think something hurtful, why would I share it?

>Is it important in UFC?

Definitely. Your size determines which division you compete in first off. You get too out of shape and you might not make weight. I hear every event about how ____ looks like they are in  _____ shape.  People like Paige VanZant got a huge advantage because of their looks in sponsors, opportunities and interest.

PRIDE and K1 were masters of using this. Bob Sapp became a superstar off of his looks and charisma and people like Giant Silva got booked solely for being tall.

Again, I don't watch enough UFC to know. Last time I watched Tank Abbott was a big star.

>Somebodies body doesn't matter to me when it comes to them as a wrestler, why would it?

Might not be important to you. Vince has given some people the rocket ship based on little more than looks and given great wrestlers the shaft because of their looks.

Yeah, Vince is not my standard on what right and wrong is.

To clarify, body shaming is harmful to society. I will call out anyone who body shames.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users