Pro Wrestling Only

People's perception of wrestler's sizes.

Memphis Mark

The women still deal with size discrimination affecting pushes, but more often it goes the other way. Men get pushed if they're bigger or get bigger, whereas women are more likely to be punished for being big or getting bigger.

Unless you're a monster or athletic freak type like Charlotte/Chyna/Nia/etc., they want the girls to be fit and thin and not have excess body fat. Female wrestlers also use steroids and develop addictions to diet pills, eating disorders, etc. in an attempt to maintain that look on the road. They're also more likely to be publicly shamed by the company for their appearance than a man. Look at how they portrayed Vickie. Look at how they portrayed Molly Holly post-heel turn. Look at how they treated Mickie James in 2009 when they felt she had gained weight.

They don't care that Charlotte is as big as she is. But they'd care if Sasha put on 20 lbs. and looked flabby.

That goes both ways though. Remember when Gangrel lost his push because his gut popped out on TV?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody dislikes Bubba as a wrestler - we just think he's a bad representative for wrestling based on his ridiculous Twitter behavior.

Oh plenty of people dislike Bubba as a wrestler. Dude was a liberty taking sack of shit with younger talent and was still trying it in the recent WWE run until Big E fucked his world up one match. Bully Ray was (initially) a pretty great character, but he certainly didn't have any great matches with the gimmick.

Ooh, was this on TV?

apronsplash.gif

Bubba magically stopped stiffing New Day after that

Jerry also retweeted someone who posted a photo of an old PWI Weekly with the headline of "Jerry Lawler charged with rape and sodomy" (he seems to just retweet anyone who tags him) so it doesn't seem he's paying a lot of attention these days.

As for Chris Hero, I don't think him getting rehired at his current weight somehow disproves that he got fired for his weight before. All it indicates is that WWE's priorities have shifted.

Never really understood how this myth that Hero got fired due to his weight still persists. At the time of his release he was actually pretty damn slim - I'd say he actually lost weight while there.

As for Chris Hero, I don't think him getting rehired at his current weight somehow disproves that he got fired for his weight before. All it indicates is that WWE's priorities have shifted.

Never really understood how this myth that Hero got fired due to his weight still persists. At the time of his release he was actually pretty damn slim - I'd say he actually lost weight while there.

I believe he didn't lose enough weight was the story at the time. It could have just been their excuse at the time too.

According to Hero himself he was let go because after some nagging injuries, he kind of lost his way as a performer and didn't have enough/any allies in the office to convince people to give him more time to get back to where he was. He said they had asked him to tighten up his physique at one point, but that was months before they cut him, and he got in the best shape he probably possibly could by the end of the run. At the time of his release, he said that it had nothing to do with his weight and the door was left open for a return down the road.

According to Hero himself he was let go because after some nagging injuries, he kind of lost his way as a performer and didn't have enough/any allies in the office to convince people to give him more time to get back to where he was. He said they had asked him to tighten up his physique at one point, but that was months before they cut him, and he got in the best shape he probably possibly could by the end of the run. At the time of his release, he said that it had nothing to do with his weight and the door was left open for a return down the road.

I didn't think Hero was really that good in his first NXT run. Some of it was his fault, some of it was his booking. He didn't stand out in any way, and that was before all of the super indy guys started coming aboard, where he really would have gotten overshadowed. Being good in WWE is a lot about being able to make matches with less time and more restrictions work and he didn't show that he had a great skill at that. His character or lack thereof didn't really work out that well either,

While that is partially true - his match against Regal still is one of the best NXT matches - he was working against people of the caliber of Percy Watson and Derrick Bateman. There was nothing really bad per se, but rarely he had a partner that could make something big with him.

As good as he is, there is a limit of what you can do in that specific setting against that sort of opponent. At that time, NXT was way, way different than what it is right now, and probably Hero would be a much better fit now, with a better and more experienced roster.

Jerry Lawler accused of making a fat joke about Nia Jax.

I'll have to defend the King here: it didn't sound like a fat joke to me as much as really outdated humor.

For fuck's sake. People really need to get a life indeed if this kind of shit get them all outraged.

I learned the meaning of SJW on this board (never heard the term before).

Then I learned why I would probably never use it.

Then, I learned why people actually are tempted to use it, and this is exactly a case of it here.

People are being slaughtered everyday on this planet. And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

So, anyone getting outraged at Jerry "puppies !" Lawler for making a remarkably unfunny and dated joke about a girl's whose whole gimmick is that she's fucking BIG (and fat, I mean, she's not the Chyna body shape, and good for her as she's probably way more healthy too) on a pro-wrestling show probably either need to watch some other show or, well, get a life (as much as this is a terrible cliché too, but we're not swimming in the most subtle waters of intelligence here, on neither side) indeed.

In other news, Bull Nakano ruled the most in the ring when she was the fattest.

(edited to go along Loss's following post, which I agree with)

I get the Hardys and Cody , they are draws for ROH. However can Bubba Dudley work in ROH ? I guess we are going to find out.

Bull James , Alex Reynolds , John Silver and Maxwell Jacob Feinstein were backstage , so I would guess they are being bought in to build the undercard . The ROH fans seem to have some irrational hatred of Bull James . Don't know why ? Because he is overweight ? Those 4 plus John Skyler, Josh Woods and Curt Stallion should really help rebuilt the roster after the losses to Evolve and NXT . Drew Galloway and Mike Bennett are out there in free agent land . I would think Bennett would return , holding out hope for Galloway . Also I wonder if Sonjay Dutt had a one shot deal or is going to return

The company has lost Roderick Strong , Moose , Kyle O'Reilly , Michael Elgin , Kyle O' Reilly , Donovan Dijak , Keith Lee, Jason Kincaid and maybe Bobby Fish , Lio Rush and Adam Cole. I am assuming Ray Rowe and Hanson are sticking around for a while. I ROH has done a good job of filling roster spots and the company hopefully will not miss a beat.

Hopefully ROH will get some mileage of Hardys/ Bucks feud , the Scurll TV Title run and Will Ospreay while the new guys are getting over. Some be an interesting few months.

Lol. It's because he's a NXT reject who doesn't fit in a workrate promotion (or whatever ROH tries to be these days) and clearly got booked just because he was an ex WWE guy they could roll out . That your first thought would be "is it because he's fat?" is hilarious. A company that books the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, and brings in Okada/Tanahashi fairly regularly. Weird that that audience doesn't give a shit about Bull Dempsey.

Not hilarious . Fans of today hate wrestlers because they are overweight . That is a fact. You have to be a great worker to get past being overweight . I don't watch NXT so I have only seen a picture of James , never seen him work .Unless you are Samoa Joe or Steen , ROH fans boo fat guys out of building. Been that way since the Blue Meanie hit TV screens.

You're right, indies didn't start promoting "hoss divisions" or anything. Keith Lee isn't one of the most buzzworthy guys on the indies right now. Willie Mack doesn't have a large circle of fans. Fuck off with that shitty, uninformed opinion.

And it isn't a matter of "ROH fans". The ROH fans that went to the RexPlex are not the same ones going today. Even the Chicago Ridge crowd has completely evolved, and they've been in that same building for 13 years. I would love to know where you came up with that theory.

I did not come up with any theory . Fans come and go but people or basically the same . People have a herd mentality . They see morbidly obese under card wrestlers as easy targets. The perception of overweight wrestlers is that are lazy and stupid. So , the wrestlers that is 100 pounds or more overweight become a easy target for fans . Guys like the Blue Meanie , Sean Davis and your random death match worker have ridicule and abuse heaped upon them by fans. It seem to be worse in the Northeast markets.

If you are a great worker the stigma of being morbidly obese can be overcome by the wrestler .. To clarify I am talking about talent that is around 100 pounds overweight not people that are 25 to 30 pounds overweight. If someone does not think that our society is cruel to morbidly obese people , then they are being emotionally and intellectually dishonest.

An example would be the latest TPT event. Brian Milonas was in the tourny . Milonas is morbidly obese . Many of the fans attacked him on social media over his weight and wondered why he was booked by ROH.

I just made a off hand comment about Bull James. I was not trying to start a multi-page thread. That said this thread just validates my comments. James is getting push back because of his appearance not his work . If James dropped 50 pounds the fans would see him in a different light. The fans would think James found a new work ethic and would applaud his efforts.

You're basically arguing against yourself when you acknowledge that wrestling fans look past weight if a wrestler is talented, yet also hate fat wrestlers and ROH fans in particular have an issue with Bull due to his weight. You yourself had said you'd never actually seen Bull James work and didn't know anything about him other than he was a husky dude, so YOU'RE the one that judged him based on his weight. Meanwhile, ROH fans judged him because he's not a very good wrestler and is a terrible fit for a workrate promotion. If he was good, his weight wouldn't matter, right?

Put him on one of those baseball stadium shows and people wouldn't boo him, because he fits in there. ROH fans have traditionally never been very kind to ex-WWE talent unless they could really go in the ring.

Everyone in WWE who isn't getting pushed is somehow a secretly great talent held down by the MACHINE. I'm sure if Darren Young got released tomorrow there would be idiots fantasy booking him against top indie names like he's some kind of great work rate master.

It still surprises me that people get excited for his appearances. I can't think of anything he's done since leaving that's been better than solid.

I think it's mostly because they haven't actually watched what he's done on the indies. Those random money mark NY shows that somehow book Kurt Angle and 10 other former legend types don't exactly have the same crowds that are watching FloSlam, Evolve has a tiny audience, TNA might as well not exist.

Those same people who complained for 2 years at how poorly Sandow was being misused weren't throwing down money to see him at HOH or Impact, either.