Pro Wrestling Only

[1985-03-02-UWF] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Akira Maeda

Jetlag

This was such a gruelling battle. Maeda maybe a more compelling matchup for Fujiwara than Sayama, because he can go on the mat, and is larger, so we get all this compelling matwork were Fujiwara has to control or defend against him with double concentration. This was slow, but dripping with intensity right from the start. Fujiwara teaching his opponent a lesson on the mat and coming back through barrages of kicks was so awesome. He came across as the toughest, most determined man on the planet. Both guys wincing while in the double leg lock was such an epic visual. The finish I didn't see coming at all, but this is why shootstyle rules: it fit the story of the match, and both guys came out looking like the baddest dudes alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Much preferred Fujiwara/Super Tiger but maybe because those are still have tinges of the pro style I love. And because I find Maeda to be boring as piss.

Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Akira Maeda - UWF 3/2/85

Can Fujiwara do the impossible can carry Maeda to a great match? Lets find out. I will say this has a big fight feel moreso than the Super Tiger matches with either guy. I prefer the Super Tiger matches, but those feel like David vs Goliath, superhero matches. Maeda for all his lameness does have an aura due to his unprofessional shoot kicking of wrestlers in the face and Fujiwara is just a badass. Fujiwara repeatedly slapping the taste out of Maeda's mouth in the first five minutes is awesome. As an anti-Maeda fan made me very happy. I thought the feeling our process here was much better. Fujiwara made this match drip with struggle when so many Maeda matches are just listless. I love how he bucked him off the side control double wristlock. Fujiwara starts to make serious in-roads on the mat so Maeda responds with the Super Tiger strategy of kicking Fujiwara in the head hard, many, many times. Fujiwara responds in the best way possible by slapping Maeda really fucking hard and then holding his head in place for some nasty headbutts. This was about the halfway point and for the next ten minutes it was pretty much all Fujiwara and it was so much better for it. He started working on the legs, but eventually got his Fujiwara armbar locked in. Maeda was getting hope spots, but Fujiwara pretty much was constantly cutting him off on the mat. It was nice to see Maeda dominated. Because of that and Maeda's rep, I totally bought in on Maeda winning. I thought the transition to the finish was a little weak as it was just a bundle of legs lock and Maeda comes up kicking. Maeda just starts roaring with those kicks. It is alternating between nasty suplexes and chokeouts. I was totally ready for Maeda to win with that Dragon suplex or a choke. Then he WHIFFS on a spinkick. Fujiwara POUNCES with a CHOKEOUT!!! AWESOME FINISH!

There was still too much downtime to call this any more than great, but hell Fujiwara did and got a great match out of Maeda! Finish was spectacular. Apparently they have a real classic in New Japan the next year. I will be watching the July 1985 UWF rematch next though. ****

• GSR changed the title to [1985-03-02-UWF] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Akira Maeda
  • 1 year later...

I can't really say I do too much on forums anymore, outside of posting in this section of PWO, so I may be super late to the party with this one. But, if Fujiwara isn't already considered one of the best workers of 1985, then he ought to be! The matwork was methodical, but never boring, and you always got the feeling that they were struggling and trying to win. Fujiwara gives a lot of respect to Maeda's kicks, by dodging and blocking them, as well as by selling them like death when Maeda started to land them.

I can see why some people may not care for the finish, with Meada busting out a Capture, German, and Dragon suplex, and still losing. But, it works (for me anyway) on the level of the UWF trying to show that their style of wrestling is superior, by having the pro-style spots shown to be useless, even against a man as beat up as Fujiwara had been.