Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-17-CMLL-El Homenaje a Dos Leyendas 2000] Brazo de Plata & Emilio Charles Jr & Mr Niebla vs Apolo Dantes & Cien Caras & Universo 2000

soup23

What is the liability like for throwing fireworks into the stands? The roster for CMLL right now is just loaded. First fall is all rudo beatdown. This rudo trio isn’t particular flashy compared to Infernales and Guapos but they get the job done and do have a stature as big deals within the company. Feels good seeing Porky and he immediately does something of note by doing an amusing wind up with one hand while he quickly fouls with the other hand to Dantes. Heat for Caras and Porky squaring off was nuclear. Porky’s red hair is unfortunate. Segunda is essentially a Porky showcase and very entertaining for what it was. Third fall opens things up with a more hectic pace and brawling around ringside. Porky ends up giving a foul to Caras with his ass. He also does a big bronco buster into the corner on all three rudos and scales the top rope for a fat man splash. That gets the win. Really good, campy fun. ***1/4

The most fun, feelgood match of the year has to count for more than ***1/4, I think. I guess life is too short to worry about ***1/4. My best friend who is an accurate star rater said no way is this below ******, and that was his opinion. Anyway, this was just outstanding. I absolutely LOVED this. It captured my heart. Apolo Dantes was born to set up comedy spots for technicos. I watch this and think it may have been his calling in life, because he's so completely phenomenal at it. I was left seriously wanting a Super Porky vs Apolo Dantes 45-minute singles match. I could have watched those two do stuff all day, and they seemed like they had a bottomless toolkit of fun sequences to work from. And the Cien Caras tag is just bonkers. Caras is like the REAL DEAL, a longtime headliner and big draw, and now he and the world's greatest comedy wrestler have to square off and the people go insane. Just beautiful beautiful beautiful. Caras does not act like he's above this one bit, even if he is, which makes this even better. All the Dinamitas sitting in the corner for Porky to do a triple broncobuster ensures I can die happy. Loved this to pieces. ****

• 4 weeks later...

If you love Porky then you'll love this match as it was really a showcase for him to entertain the fans. And entertain the fans he did. I was kind of surprised that Los Capos were the rudo foils for Porky's Looney Tunes schtick since they'll be moving onto bigger things soon, but they were good sports. It was nice to see Apolo Dantes too. An underrated pro who had all the tools but lacked the charisma of the upper tier rudos. He did a good job holding this together. Pretty good match for a comedy bout. The humour was good natured and much more enjoyable than the stinkface et al. Still the King of Comedy, i wonder if anyone can top Porky for best comedic performance by year's end? Meanwhile, "The Game" Emilio Charles Jr looks like he is chomping at the bit for someone to feud with.

I can give or take on Porky comedy matches especially the ones in the 2000s. However, this was great. Apollo Dantes might be the best guy to take Porky's offense except maybe Negro Casas. He knows how to and went to sell and be in the right place. I was stunned to see how mobile Porky was even in 2000. Top rope splash and he was even running. Rest of the guys were good but this was the porky show. That entrance by the rudos was wild. First, they come out to Rammstein and then they throw fireworks into the crowd. Great stuff.

• 6 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-03-17-CMLL-El Homenaje a Dos Leyendas 2000] Brazo de Plata & Emilio Charles Jr & Mr Niebla vs Apolo Dantes & Cien Caras & Universo 2000