El Satanico vs Lizmark 07/14/98

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1221 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:43 AM

This Satanico vs Lizmark match magically appeared yesterday.

This was quite the match for a lot of reasons. The first of which is Satanico. He is amazing in this. Classic facial expressions as always but he also does one of the best jobs selling the effect of a chinlock/sleeper better than anyone other than Benoit vs Guerrero from the 96 Super Juniors tournament. Lots of fun classic Satanico trickery as well. Love the subtle low blow he used as a kickout.

The other reason this match was amazing is that I'm more convinced than ever that Lizmark fucking sucks. He just cannot have consistently good performances against Satanico who is probably the easiest guy in the history of wrestling to have a good match with other than maybe Flair or Funk. Lizmark has a tendency to dominate their matches and this wasn't really any different in that regard only his mat work looked particularly sloppy and loose in this. The first fall was not good and I get the impression Satanico realized that because he turned his shit up in the 2nd fall and used Lizmark's desire to slap on a hold and sit in it to bust out this classic selling of the chinlock.

These two have had a lot of singles matches with each other over the years and you'd assume they would be a classic tecnico vs rudo matchup. They hit it out of the park once in I want to say 1993, but all their other matches I've found to be fairly disappointing in one way or another. This is definitely worth watching and is a great example of someone (Satanico) having a terrific individual performance in a match that wasn't all that great.

#2 alexoblivion

alexoblivion
  • Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:57 AM

Weird. Last time I watched this I was more impressed with Lizmark than I was Satanico. I actually thought Lizmark's front facelock was fine, and thought rubbing his forearm in Satanico's eyes was a pretty cool touch as well.

#3 cad

cad
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

When I last watched this match, I thought Lizmark looked pretty washed up, but his fundamentals and title match experience allowed him to hold up his end. Satanico I thought looked as good as ever and gave a strong performance, which is saying something given that I'd long since lost interest in watching him.

The other reason this match was amazing is that I'm more convinced than ever that Lizmark fucking sucks. He just cannot have consistently good performances against Satanico who is probably the easiest guy in the history of wrestling to have a good match with other than maybe Flair or Funk. Lizmark has a tendency to dominate their matches and this wasn't really any different in that regard only his mat work looked particularly sloppy and loose in this. The first fall was not good and I get the impression Satanico realized that because he turned his shit up in the 2nd fall and used Lizmark's desire to slap on a hold and sit in it to bust out this classic selling of the chinlock.

These two have had a lot of singles matches with each other over the years and you'd assume they would be a classic tecnico vs rudo matchup. They hit it out of the park once in I want to say 1993, but all their other matches I've found to be fairly disappointing in one way or another. This is definitely worth watching and is a great example of someone (Satanico) having a terrific individual performance in a match that wasn't all that great.

Sometimes I wonder if Satanico boosters are the biggest reason I got so sick of the man. Lizmark had multiple matches with La Parka and Jerry Estrada, and the average match in those series was better than the average match in the Satanico series. I agree that he took too much of the Satanico fights, but most of his matches don't go like that. Using just the Satanico matches as an indictment on his overall ability is classic tunnel vision. I also question the logic of using "performance vs Satanico" as any sort of barometer. Satanico vs anyone is always going to be a Satanico match, and Satanico matches are the kind where even if he helps "anyone" have a good match the guy isn't going to actually look better in it.

But that's how it is with Satanico. Bad matches are always the other guy's fault, any good performance (doesn't even have to be a good match) confirms the great man's ability, and in the end Satanico is still a strong contender for number one all time. Here we have Satanico carrying a sucky guy who didn't actually suck to a decent match. Doesn't really sound like the stuff of alltime greats, as you'd think they should find a way to get the most out of a weak opponent rather than just working around him, but then those guys don't make those incredible Satanico faces in every single fucking match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users