Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-03-18-MCW-TV] Reckless Youth vs Todd Morton

Loss

Well, they worked hard, but wow did we get some Indy Tendencies in this one that I hated. I realize they had less than five minutes to work with, but Youth was just working *so fast* and giving nothing anytime to sink in. I also wasn't crazy about the chair being used in plain sight of the referee, although it was good to see that Leon from Roseanne found work as a ringside second for Todd Morton.

This was a good day for under five minute matches. The crowd doesn’t seem how to react but Reckless looks good here and able to work a type of tv style match that makes it shocking to me he didn’t get a WWE long term run. The KAW contingent interference is starting to get grating here in MCW. It did backfire here with Reckless being able to use the chair and a brainbuster on top of the chair. **1/4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pre-match promo from Morton which includes clips of their match from last week which Morton won after a modified Van Daminator (a dropkick off the top to a chair held by his opponent). He claims it was the easiest match he had in his life, and today he’s facing Reckless Youth again in the MCW title tournament. He thinks it couldn’t get any easier, and with opponents like this there’s no doubt he’s going straight to the top and will soon be wearing that strap. We then get a couple of vignettes of Bruce Prichard canvassing wrestlers on who should be the new Commissioner of MCW. The Blue Meanie thinks it should be Jim Neidhart, while the Little’s want it to be Pepe the Taco Bell dog!

Reckless ducks a clothesline and starts teeing off on Morton. Irish whip reversal and a tilt-a-whirl headscissors followed by a dropkick for a two. A series of punches in the corner until Morton fells Youth with a low blow. Snap suplex and a lovely belly to back as Morton continues the attack. Morton with a powerslam but he misses an elbow off the top. Back heel kick from Youth, a somersault senton and a tornado DDT. Al K. Holic is up on the apron and Reckless goes over to grab him. The distraction turns the tide in the match and Morton with another belly to back suplex. He climbs to the top turnbuckle, Al K. throws him a chair which he then throws at Youth who catches it, however as Morton jumps off, he spins out the way then cracks him over the head with it. Brainbuster on the chair and Youth advances in the tournament.

Perfectly fine little TV match. Youth stands out as his style is completely different to anyone else in MCW, although his punches don’t look good. I can kinda see why he never made it to the WWE; he either needed a gimmick overhaul or to be put in a tag team where he could work with the Hardys, Edge & Christian etc. The finish (where Reckless spun out the way) looked a touch phoney, but I very much liked how it played off their previous match with Youth not falling for the same thing again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This is the type of thing you'd expect in a sub 5 minute indy TV match -- hurrying up to try and get as much of their stuff in in as little time as possible.

At this point I'm convinced that no MCW match is going to go past the 8 minute mark and that 95% of them will feature some type of interference at some point.

• GSR changed the title to [2000-03-18-MCW-TV] Reckless Youth vs Todd Morton